Thread: fly fishing gear question

Default fly fishing gear question

Well, I finally moved up here last week (Kenai) and I went down the road to the Kasilof River/Crooked Creek the other day. I didn't know what to expect and nearly everyone was fishing with fly rods. I didn't bring mine, but managed to crudely copy the technique with my baitcaster and power pro. Everyone I saw using the fly rods were using greenish colored line. I have orange line on my reel.

Do any of you know what (generally speaking) this green line is: like the brand, the strength, the exact "color" and maybe the cost? I've been told my orange line won't be too effective, and I'd like to get back out there soon.

A fly setup includes 1.) backing (typically a braided form of line anywhere from 50 to 200yards), 2.) fly line (any variety of either floating, sinking, shooting, self-lubricating, etc. that are formulated to alow a fly to be cast effectively), 3.) a butt end (a portion of mono that typically under 12 inches that serves as the conecting point of the fly line and the leader), 4.) the leader (again, a variety of leaders exist, they are either pre-fabed, tappered lines or can be self-made using portions of decending sizes of mono sections. Leaders also come in a variety of choices, sinking, floating, intermediate, fast sinking, slow sinking, very fast ect; different lengths; and different colors (though typically clear)), and finally (5.) the tippet (which is actually just another part of the leader. Tippet material is a lighter material used to attach the fly to the leader.)

A long explanation for a relatively easy question. The answer is this: the green line you saw was fly-line (#2 above). The line weight varies. You probably have a braided line on your bait-caster. Fly-line is a completely different creature. Check out any fly-shop or Sportsman's for a comparison.

NRH

I presume you're fishing for reds? What you saw the other people using was probably floating line. Personally I prefer straight mono on my fly rod for reds. Depending on the water, floating line is often influenced too much by the top current to have enough control of the leader. If I was using floating line my leader would most likely be long enough that I'd have very little fly line out. I haven't used a sinking line for several years, for any species.

Remember that the primary advantage to fly line is that the line is weighted, so you're casting the line, not a piece of lead. When you're fishing reds, you're casting a piece of lead on a mono leader, regardless of what kind of rod you're using. You can fish reds effectively with a spinning or casting rod if it's long enough. It'll just be a little more cumbersome to handle the line return with all that handle hanging below your reel.