Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swank ram at mtn view sports

Default Swank ram at mtn view sports

I saw in an email that the swank ram is going to be at mtn view sports on display. This is a great teaser for those of us just about to go on our annual sheep hunts. Shows the possibilitys out there. Good luck to all. Heavy packs and full curls.

when and for how long? a lot of us didn't get that email. or maybe I'm the only one...

From 8/2 to 8/10 MVS is having a sportsman appreciation sale with their "keep it local" theme.

Based on a recent store post on IG the family (swank) is letting the store display the mount. Maybe its only up till 8/10, or maybe its up longer. Call the store for details.

Proving trail is conducting two pack seminars on 8/2. One at noon and the second at 1600. Each about an hour according to Scott.

Thanks for the info!

Stopped by and talked to Scott for a bit. Good guy and eager to give what he can to get you setup for sheep, besides the drainage of course! Checked out the Swank Ram. Worth your time for sure. It's almost cartoonish as to how huge that ram is. It's mass a quarter of the way up the horn is what most rams hope to be circumference wise at their bases at maturity. The right side is just barely under 49, with the left right at 48. I've only been fortunate enough to see a couple world record animals and they are always awe inspiring. Thanks again to Scott for taking the time.

AZinAK

About 18 years ago I was on the FNAWS board when they had the two day show in Anchorage. When we took down the displays and nobody knew what to do with the Swank ram. I ended up taking it home. I drove like my first born baby was in the truck. Should have hung it up for a picture.

I had a very nice conversation about that hunt with the man who was with Mr. Swank on the hunt.

Someone with a digital camera would be greatly appreciated right about now...........

/http://instagram.com/p/rDaGaUoeGb/

Link should take you to the MVS IG posting of the mount.

What an amazing animal, I think it must have been a lazy ram to not broom that mess
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I doubt there is such a thing as a lazy ram.....well at least maybe not until they start loosing their teeth and start the sad slow process of starving to death. I'm sure that will start slowing them down quite a bit.

I guess the ram felt he could see well enough and didn't feel the need to broom. But he probably should have because he sure as heck didn't see Mr. Swank now did he...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I took multiple pics from a couple angles. I'll post them a bit later.

AZinAK

This thread had me thinking about how old the ram was. I did some searching on the net but came up with nothing. Then I remembered that I had the book, "Quest for Dall Sheep", in which guide/pilot Jack Wilson wrote a chapter about it. Here's a brief history....

Jack had been watching the big ram with a young ram with him since 59'. He had actually went after the ram himself that same year, but only having two days to hunt the fog set in and never lifted so he was unable to find the ram.

The following year the ram was still there with his younger companion and Jack sent a guide and an older hunter after it but the hunter's knees gave out only a short distance away from the ram. The guide went on ahead and cautiously managed to find the ram. He came down to see if the old hunter could make it but he could go no further. The guide told Jack that it was the biggest ram he had ever seen.

In 61' Harry Swank told Jack that he wanted to go sheep hunting again and Jack decided to have him go after the old ram. Harry was to have a friend along for the hunt but wanted Jack to guide him. He agreed and would take the time off from flying to guide Swank. Come hunting time Jack dropped the two hunters at the "slot" and told Harry he would return the next morning as he had more flying to do. As luck would have it the people that he was to fly got delayed and he wasn't to return for yet another morning. Harry decided he would still wait for Jack at spike camp and his friend would go hunt for another ram they had seen.

Harry got restless and decided to go for a short walk and try and do some glassing, not intending to hunt at all. Harry walked along an easy game trail between the glacier on his right and the steep slope of the mountain on his left. He hadn't walked far when a few small rocks that came rolling down the mountain caught his attention. He looked up and saw a 3/4 curl ram and hid behind a small bush. The young ram had not seen him. Then as he watched, a huge ram walked up and stood beside the smaller ram. Swank immediately figured this had to be the big old ram that they were to hunt. For some reason the rams had left their high pasture and come down to the glacier.

The great ram and his buddy kept moving down and eventually ended up on the trail that Swank was on. At about 40 yards Swank lifted his rifle and shot what was to be the new world record. He was no further than 1/2 mile from their spike camp.

Jack said by counting horn rings "we" determined the ram to be 14 years old. After the 60 day waiting period the right horn measured 48 - 5/8" and the left was 47 - 7/8. Bases were 14 - 5/8 and 14 - 7/8" respectively. Final score was 189 - 6/8"

Thanks AK Ray! Its a thing dreams are made of and the start of many sleepless nights.

We counted rings while we were there and got 11 or 12. Maybe we missed a couple, or maybe we were being extra cautious with the rings.

AZinAK

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    We counted rings while we were there and got 11 or 12. Maybe we missed a couple, or maybe we were being extra cautious with the rings.

AZinAK
    I would think that with the mount up so high that it would be fairly difficult to count the rings close to the base. I held, what was supposed to be, a 16 year old set of ram horns in my hand once and you really couldn't tell one ring from another when they are so tight against the base.....

Impressive was an understatement. How old was the official age of the ram?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Grayson View Post
    Impressive was an understatement. How old was the official age of the ram?
    I tried to find in online but drew a blank. That's why I posted (above) what the guide said in his book. But I couldn't find an "official" age.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast