Thread: Yellow eye colored jigs?

While I was making a customers jigs the other day I decided to try my hand at making a jig that kind of resembled a yellow eye rockfish.
    I have made herring colored jigs and black bass colored jigs before but thought I would try this color as well.
    I figure Lingcod and Halibut most likely eat a few small yellow eye from time to time.
    The paint is super glow orange(glows orange in the dark) with super glow yellow (glows yellow in the dark)highlights in the belly.
    The white part of the 3D eye glows as well.
    This jig is 12oz. but I can make it in any size I want to up to the 24 oz or down to the 1 oz.
    Anybody had goodluck using a similiar colored jig before?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Here is another picture.

I like it and think it will be great. That powder you are using is some tough stuff. I have a few jigs that are smashed in pretty good but the paint is still spotless. Great jigs...
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Default Looks Good

Looks like I need to pick up a few more colors Chris.
    I'll support Rob's statement above, these are some tough lures and they catch fish!
    Here's one of my favorites that has been beat up all summer, unfortunately we lost it on a big fish recently.
    Chris jig.jpg
    BK

kasilofchrisn where can I see what jigs you have for sale?
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    kasilofchrisn where can I see what jigs you have for sale?
    You can email me at Roust-a-boutlures@hotmail.com and I 'll send you some pics and prices.
    Be sure to mention you are a forum member for your 5% forum member discount.

email sent!
    Thanks
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Dunno about halibut, but that one's going to sting some lingcod, for sure.

We're using heavy rubber tails rather than bar-style, but orange skirts with yellow tails are unbeatable in deep water. Shallower we're using black skirts with white or silver tails (ala black rockfish), and the lings are all over them.

The first photo didn't show the orange much, but the second is better. I think the orange is so important, I'd probably increase the amount of orange on the back.

It's really hard to get a good picture of a jig like this.
    I did do a plain white basecoat first. Doing a double dip in jjust the orange would make the back a bit darker
    But is is completly dipped in the super glow orange the super glow yellow was sprayed on over that in just the belly area. There is also a UV blast clear coat over the entire jig.
    I have done the Black rockfish patterns as well. A white basecoat with a black back and a silver(chrome powder paint) belly.
    When I get a chance I'll do some in that color and post a pic of it also.
    I have a few orders to fill right now. One just needs the downrigger weights painted.
    As soon as I am off the slope I need to get those orders finished before I can play with making color patterns etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    As soon as I am off the slope I need to get those orders finished before I can play with making color patterns etc.
    Looking forward to the results!

Looking good Chris. The Kachemak version works well in orange. Maybe add some black tiger stripes to mimic a kelp greenling. I am sure it will be a hit either way.

BTW, that particular jig in blue/silver is killing it for me this season.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Looking good Chris. The Kachemak version works well in orange. Maybe add some black tiger stripes to mimic a kelp greenling. I am sure it will be a hit either way.

A friend and customer of mine from sterling is killing them out of seward with the skyblue color this year.
    I guess Alaska fish like blue.lol
    Stripes is not a problem especially since I just bought a third powder paint airbrush.
    When I have time I'll get some headed your way.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post

What he said!!! Has been a real killer for me as well. Very impressed with your jigs Chris. Thanks again
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    What he said!!! Has been a real killer for me as well.
    We were using buzz bombs for pinks and I had the only blue/white/green one .. Every one else had chartreuse or yellow. I killed the fish and presumed it was because of the 'herring' color of the jig rather than my superior fishing skills (not)
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    We were using buzz bombs for pinks and I had the only blue/white/green one .. Every one else had chartreuse or yellow. I killed the fish and presumed it was because of the 'herring' color of the jig rather than my superior fishing skills (not)
    That is one of the fun parts of making your own tackle. You can make it how you want it.
    Make the colors you like not just what the store has for sale and you can often times make one of better quality.
    Same thing with ordering custom stuff. You pick the size ,style ,and colors you want not just what the stores have on their shelves.
    Alaska is not the lower 48 and what works there does not always work here. Sometimes it does but other times something is lacking.
    I think more people should make their own tackle in Alaska.It's fun and rewarding hobby!
    You know women often times outfish the men on the boat. Thats what my Charter captain friend says! I know my wife often outfishes me on my boats!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    That is one of the fun parts of making your own tackle. You can make it how you want it.
    Make the colors you like not just what the store has for sale and you can often times make one of better quality.
    Same thing with ordering custom stuff. You pick the size ,style ,and colors you want not just what the stores have on their shelves.
    Alaska is not the lower 48 and what works there does not always work here. Sometimes it does but other times something is lacking.
    I think more people should make their own tackle in Alaska.It's fun and rewarding hobby!
    You know women often times outfish the men on the boat. Thats what my Charter captain friend says! I know my wife often outfishes me on my boats!

It does look like fun to paint/make your own. We do our own pyramid jigs, but only very simple ones... Put the lead/hook in the mold, pull it out, add 'shiny stuff'... LOL.. These 'plain' pyramid jigs do great, but it would be fun to add some color... Maybe a winter time project.

As far as outfishing my better half or others, well....he beat me hands (hooks?) down on the pike the other night...although he did have 'my' lure (mepps fire tiger)....I had the little froggie and some other 'useless' lures...

I will say that women probably do better than men on charter boats because they follow directions
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!