Thread: Diy:pow island deer hunt

Default Diy:pow island deer hunt

Hi folks. First time on the hunting forum. I have a general question regarding hunting in the southeast and in particular the POW region. I am in the process of purchasing a saltwater boat to fish and explore the rich waters around the south east and have had a detailed request from my son regarding hunting on the island. However , I am unclear as to the actual regulations for non resident hunters . There appears to be varying information available on various social media sites about the legality of carrying out a do it your self hunt. I have had a quick glance at the hunting regs and it appears to say that all non residents must hire a licenced state guide before they are allowed to hunt in the state. Is this correct ? Curiously, I have found a vast amount of information regarding many people who have hunted on the island ( for all species ) by them selves. Can anyone possibly simplify this for fisherman looking to try hunting ? thank you so much for all your help.

From Ireland

Ok Micky, if you are going to be buying a boat, and living on the Island, even with a Visa or Greencard, you may be a resident for fishing and hunting purposes. I'd call to the AK State Troopers they "MAY" be of some help (usually not call 5x and you get 4 different answers) but you never now. I'd start with them.

Sobie2

The requirement for a guide for non-resident hunters is only for specific species. You best bet is along the lines of what Sobie2 said. Give a quick call to ADF&G and pose your question. They will give you the most direct answer rather than risking getting someone else's interpretation of the regs that won't hold up in court if needed. Beyond that, do more than just a quick glance at the regs yourself. For the most part, the information is in there, you just need to spend a bit more time finding it.

You would be considered a non-resident alien. And would need a guide for any big game hunting in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabarbwire View Post
    You would be considered a non-resident alien. And would need a guide for any big game hunting in Alaska.
    What he said.

If I was you, I'd contact Johnnie Laird at muskeg excursions for information