Thread: Can't wait to hunt the new pup. She is doing great

Default Can't wait to hunt the new pup. She is doing great

Today I went and worked the pup with decoys. I sat her while I put out deeks and had her sit quietly after I got a dozen set out I threw a dummy through it and she never even slowed down through the spread. Next I put her in the house threw the dummy into the middle of the decoys then brought her out for a blind retrieve. I sent her and she did stop at a desk or two but immediately realized that wasn't what she was after and found the dummy and brought it back.
    If I was a was a better trainer she could be a fenominal dog but she is doing just great for me... Can't wait to see her work the marsh

How old is the pup now tony, sounds like he is coming along well. You should bring him uphere for the hunt test in mid august and let him get a duck fresh shot for him, good experience. Bud
    Wasilla

That is great Tony, sounds like she is doing very well. Opening day will be here soon enough, she will picking them up before you know it.
    Did you take any pics?

My pup is 10 months old but I don't think we are good enough to be running tests together and that's not her fault. It would be fun but I would have to learn a lot to be able to get her that good. She does OK on hand signals but it's my fault she isn't proficient at them yet I had to take a few weeks off from training but she retained what we learned really well. My week on week off schedule slows things down a bit but I think she will be good to go by the time we hit the marsh.
    Admit I need to start getting pics of her but it's usually just me and her and I forget about it and focus too much on the training to take pics. I think about it all the time but forget when we get to the field.

Tony

If she is doing what you say she is. She will have no problems with the Junior Hunter portion of the test. you would need to obtain this first and it will help build confidence in you and the dog..pluss you get a ribbon to hang on your rear view mirror...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Tony

If she is doing what you say she is. She will have no problems with the Junior Hunter portion of the test. you would need to obtain this first and it will help build confidence in you and the dog..pluss you get a ribbon to hang on your rear view mirror...
    What does it consist of to pass the Jr hunter?

What is required for the Jr hunt test?

Tony, go to entryexpress.com and look up events for aug 15-18 in alaska. it will have some information there, tomorrow is last day, must sign up prior to midnight cst, i think 9 pm here in alaska. test is 2 sets of single retrieves, both 2 seperate retrieves each, 2 on land, and 2 on water. less then 100 yds, usually very light or no cover. one live duck will be shot for your dog, the other retrieves will be with dead ducks thrown. you may hold the collar and releast your dog that way if dog is not steady. bird must be delivered to hand, but grabbing bird in the air is fair game also if you are quick, but will not count if you pick up bird off the ground. call if you have questions. Bud 240 4090
    Wasilla

We should be able to do that but I need to work with her more in the water. I might have to plan on doing this next time it comes up if it'll work with my schedule. Sounds like fun and after this season with a little live work we should be able to do with that hopefully with no problems.