Thread: Freighter Canoe Dealer in Alaska?

Default Freighter Canoe Dealer in Alaska?

Wouldn't it be a great idea if one of the new outdoor stores in Anchorage could become a retail dealer for freighter canoes? I personally like the 21 ft Maine Freighter built by Two Rivers Canoe & Tackle in Medway, Maine but freight cost from Medway to Anchorage is pretty expensive. Also heard that Scott canoes is going to start up production again in 2015 under new ownership. One of these new stores (Cabela's and/or Bass Pro Shops) needs to become a freighter canoe dealer here in our State, better yet maybe both of them should.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    ...but freight cost from Medway to Anchorage is pretty expensive.
    What makes you think that Cabela's, Bass Pro, et al wouldn't pass those cost on to you, at least in part? I've seen too many canoe "dealerships" and livery go bankrupt in my time. It's almost like being in aviation. Trust me, I'd LOVE to sell canoes for a living. But the only way to make a million bucks selling canoes is to start with two million.

I brought my freighter up from Florida myself, and the only way I'd sell it now is to get more than 4 grand for it. Who is going to pay that?

Guess we won't know what the final cost would be until we see one sitting on the show room floor in their new stores. Until that day comes it is all just wishful thinking and speculation. Whatever the final costs is I am sure that they would sell a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Guess we won't know what the final cost would be until we see one sitting on the show room floor in their new stores. Until that day comes it is all just wishful thinking and speculation. Whatever the final costs is I am sure that they would sell a few.
    My HB21 cost 800.00 to ship from Scott (Ontario) to Calgary. It was stacked on top of a load of other goods heading west.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post
    My HB21 cost 800.00 to ship from Scott (Ontario) to Calgary. It was stacked on top of a load of other goods heading west.
    The best quote I got to ship my 14 ft Old Town from FL was $500, which is only $100 less than new at REI in Anchorage, so these box stores are getting some kind of a break from the freight companies. Problem is...those box stores are only going to sell canoes they can move volume on (more profit of course). That means freighters will take a back seat sat those box places.

I don't know much about these things but I'm interested. The Boat Shop in Fairbanks carries Osagian canoes, whose only square-stern boat is only 17'. But, any sense of how these stack up?
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

From what I have been reading on this forum it sounds like freighters are very economical to operate, carry big payloads and can do it with smaller hp outboards. We all know gas prices are pretty high here in Alaska, even higher in bush communities. If a freighter is more economical to operate then it just makes sense to have at least one retail store in Alaska selling them.

Given that business has been whittled down to a science, complete with formulas for many situations, any business is only going to sell what they can make the greatest profit on. How many times did we hear that Cabela's had done research on Alaskans wanted. They don't even carry bug shirts, but B&J (an alaskan owned and operated local company) sells out of them every year. Truth be told most people will buy a canoe that is not a freighter, even when that is what they wanted, merely because they don't have the freighter but have a regular canoe. I don't know who you guys got the quotes from but I would imagine lynden or carlile would be willing if there was a group buy and decent size shipment. Just a suggestion.

Driving to Whitehorse has been the only way to pick up the Canadian made freighters. (for many Alaskans) They aren't cheap by the time they get shipped up to the North country. Of course blowing through $400 in gas on the weekend in your big jet boat isn't cheap either...make your choices...

Canots Nor-west Canoes is currently working with a future distributor in Whitehorse, Yukon called Kanoe People.

I had a 17' Osage from the boat shop in Fairbanks. Used it running up rivers off the upper Yukon with 9.9 Honda and lift. Carry about the same load as 19' Grumman but a little wider in transom which was good for outboard. I would buy another.