Thread: Valley Silvers

Default Valley Silvers

Any reports?
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Deshka has 'em.

Had some of the best silver fishing I've ever had on the Little Su this past weekend. Probably caught and released 20 before keeping our limits. Downstream probably half an hour by boat.
    Ryan from Wasilla

down stream from the knik boat lunch ? I was going to take a boat up there tomorrow but I don't know my way around that area

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    Had some of the best silver fishing I've ever had on the Little Su this past weekend. Probably caught and released 20 before keeping our limits. Downstream probably half an hour by boat.
    Not to be "that guy", but I'm going to be "that guy". Silvers have a VERY HIGH catch-and-release mortality rate. I've seen numbers as high as 70 percent. That's why some streams have the restriction that silvers taken out of the water must be retained (that should be in place everywhere). For reasons not yet well understood, hooking a silver and wrestling it to land, even with using the best tactics, take a disproportionate toll on silver salmon, and odd as it may seem, this effect is more pronounced the sooner the salmon enter fresh water. Here is a study report: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGU&cad=rja

I find that most people don't know about the high coho C&R mortality rates. A better educational effort should be made, because I think people would not do it if they knew the mortality rates were that high. For now, the best we can do is spread the word. So please avoid C&R on silvers.
    My signature is awesome.

You are correct that Coho are very fragile in the salt and the first few days in fresh water. If you are catching silvers whose scales are falling off its best to keep them. Once they adjust to fresh water they are much tougher fish.

if you catch any silver it is best to keep them, like Greg pointed out they do not handle C/R well at all.

It's good to have multiple sources for information, and not bank on one source as the holy grail. The study referenced had some very wide variances and questionable techniques. The main thing with silvers is that their scales are so loose upon first entering salt, mortality is going to be higher than after the scales are hardened. The actual percentage of C&R mortality is a total crapshoot, though, as there are so many variables that affect it.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    It's good to have multiple sources for information, and not bank on one source as the holy grail. The study referenced had some very wide variances and questionable techniques. The main thing with silvers is that their scales are so loose upon first entering salt, mortality is going to be higher than after the scales are hardened. The actual percentage of C&R mortality is a total crapshoot, though, as there are so many variables that affect it.
    Yeah, I think we don't do much damage at all dragging them on the bank and then kicking them back into the water. It is tough to tell when the scales are hard, hard scales don't sound good to eat, so I put most back, unless they're big, or my last two. At least treble hooks make sure I get them on the bank. I read that salmon clean out shallow gravel areas to spawn, leading to erosion.....it was on the internet, so must be true. It said to kill all salmon to save our rivers, I am doing my part with c&r fishing.

I have to admit that I'm embarrassed and feeling guilty for not having heard any of this before. But I will say that I do my share of homework, so I hope nobody takes me for an ignorant guy. On a side note (probably doesn't matter), none of the fish were drug on any bank or handled improperly. We do have a rubber net, and to the best of our knowledge, do all that we can to treat fish correctly. From now on I'll keep it in mind. I appreciate the information, and apologize for offending anyone with my lack of knowledge of the resource.

Ryan
    Ryan from Wasilla

Willphish....I can't believe you would get on here and suggest the study was flawed and might not be as bad. I wouldn't think it was good to change all the rules for gill netting to get more coho north to be killed and released. More often than not people are not real careful letting salmon go. Drive down river late the night of August 6th....lots of dead silvers washed up. Shoot i see them nearly every day before it goes.to bait. Sure one study is not the end all but you should not even hint it's ok to cnr on the lower stretches of the Little Su.

any word on how the tailrace is doing? is it legal to use the roe on the silvers now in the valley? thinking about hitting some rivers this weekend.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    Not to be "that guy", but I'm going to be "that guy". Silvers have a VERY HIGH catch-and-release mortality rate. I've seen numbers as high as 70 percent. That's why some streams have the restriction that silvers taken out of the water must be retained (that should be in place everywhere). For reasons not yet well understood, hooking a silver and wrestling it to land, even with using the best tactics, take a disproportionate toll on silver salmon, and odd as it may seem, this effect is more pronounced the sooner the salmon enter fresh water. Here is a study report: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGU&cad=rja

I find that most people don't know about the high coho C&R mortality rates. A better educational effort should be made, because I think people would not do it if they knew the mortality rates were that high. For now, the best we can do is spread the word. So please avoid C&R on silvers.

That Study was based solely on the use of roe with a barbed 0/2 hook and no other tackle. roughly 200 of the 750 fish they caught had been hooked in the gills or gullet. This is an irrelevant study to modern catch and release techniques. C-n-R Silvers have the same mortality rate of any other salmon.

It really depends on a wide variety of factors including things people can't control such as water temps.
    No matter what page 35 of the regs makes it pretty clear about removing coho from the water. I was in court and had a judge uphold a citation from this exact scenario based on a PICTURE that was posted on ADN fishing section. Trooper called him up ticketed him and it stuck!!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    any word on how the tailrace is doing? is it legal to use the roe on the silvers now in the valley? thinking about hitting some rivers this weekend.
    Visiting family hit the tailrace yesterday. Out of four folks fishing my brother got two and my nephew got one silver. It was his very first salmon and he was so proud we had a salmon bake last night. They had gone the day before and got skunked, so I guess the silvers are starting to hit the tailrace in better numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post

I stopped by there on the way home from Jim creek (bust for me there) and noticed 8 or so silvers on the bank. Saw a guy hook up and land a silver with a fly rod in between the egg soakers which was cool to see. I spent aboout a half hour there.

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    I have to admit that I'm embarrassed and feeling guilty for not having heard any of this before. But I will say that I do my share of homework, so I hope nobody takes me for an ignorant guy. On a side note (probably doesn't matter), none of the fish were drug on any bank or handled improperly. We do have a rubber net, and to the best of our knowledge, do all that we can to treat fish correctly. From now on I'll keep it in mind. I appreciate the information, and apologize for offending anyone with my lack of knowledge of the resource.

Ryan
    You shouldn't feel bad about something that is so little known and so little advertised. The point of my post was not to put you down, but to try to spread the word. I think they should put one of those informational boxes in the regs somewhere so that people don't have to find out word-of-mouth.

And yes, there are a lot of factors, and it would be foolish to trust any one study, but there are other studies, and most of the ones I have read suggest that silvers newly entering fresh water have elevated C&R mortality rates, if not very highly elevated rates, over other fish. Again, from a regulatory standpoint, they are the only fish recognized in the regs as needing to be retained if removed from the water. That's based on some level of science, and that's good enough for me. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    You shouldn't feel bad about something that is so little known and so little advertised. The point of my post was not to put you down, but to try to spread the word. I think they should put one of those informational boxes in the regs somewhere so that people don't have to find out word-of-mouth.

And yes, there are a lot of factors, and it would be foolish to trust any one study, but there are other studies, and most of the ones I have read suggest that silvers newly entering fresh water have elevated C&R mortality rates, if not very highly elevated rates, over other fish. Again, from a regulatory standpoint, they are the only fish recognized in the regs as needing to be retained if removed from the water. That's based on some level of science, and that's good enough for me. -Gr
    Kings as well
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

sweet sounds like a tailrace night!
    Semper Fi!