Thread: Rifle scope question, need advice?

Default Rifle scope question, need advice?

Hi,
    I will be going on a hunting trip for moose and I'm really considering a Vortex with all the specs I've read so far. I was wanting a 9X40 leupold BDC, but the Vortex has really good specs, is cheaper and offers lifetime warranty with absolutely no fuss on what happens. Could run over it and they will replace it. It's as good as leupold's warranty, sounds better. IDK, though.
    With the experience of you guys, curious to what you would recommend?? This is my first scope for my Browning A-Bolt 338. People say the weight, but it's not really that much. I was also considering the nikon monarch too. I really like the 10X50 with the notch cut out and illuminated boone and crockett model, too much for my wallet, Ha! Would really appreciate some advice

It's easy to spend too much on a scope....and it's easy to spend too little. Vortex's lower end line is underwhelming like everyone else's but their middle shelf and up stuff is pretty good. Same deal with Leupold...or Nikon. The really high end stuff is nice too, and doesn't help you kill moose at all.

I'm not a fan of BDC reticles or of variable power scopes for that matter.

An A-bolt with a Leupold fixed 6x42 or a 4x33 sitting on top will last a long time and do about any shooting you'd need to do.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Get on EBay and buy yourself a used fixed 4x Leupold, $150.
    Order and install Talley lightweights, $42.

Sight in and kill stuff, it's all real easy if we let it be.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    An A-bolt with a Leupold fixed 6x42 or a 4x33 sitting on top will last a long time and do about any shooting you'd need to do.
    +1; 'nuf said.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Another concurrence. I'm running a fixed 4 on my 338. Rock solid setup.

Are just going for moose? With a 338, you're probably not planning to use it for sheep, maybe caribou. So your ranges will be short with large animals. With these assumptions, I agree with others that a fixed ~4x40 or x30 scope will be all you need.

Why are you thinking of getting the 9x or 10x power scope? This much power will be a hinderance in brush, low light, or if a quick short range shot is needed (think bear).

I have a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40. I got the variable power so I can use it long range for sheep and short range off-hand for moose. It's a nice scope, but it's not as clear as some other scopes that I've tried that are similar in price. A higher end Vortex might be a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome stuff guys!! I sold my gun awhile ago and the scopes have changed quite a bit since then. I'll keep researching as you guys lay out the options and opinions

Yes, sir. Mainly moose. Next year will be caribou also, maybe. Forgot to mention that, sorry.

I have at least 5 fixed 4x scopes on rifles and several low powered variables that only zoom to 4 or 5x. I have shot game to 400 yards and beyond with 4x as well as critters to 325yds with a straight 2.5x. Ironically I shot my first big game animal years ago at 7yds through a 6x. For normal hunting use it is my opinion that most people these days are over rather than under scoped. I've taken every game animal Alaska has to offer with the exception of sheep, goat, and muskox with a 2.5 Leupold. They work, they're tough, and they can be had cheap.

I've got a Redfield 2x7 on my .338. Only cost $180 with the same warranty as Leupold. Keep it down on 2 in the brush and crank it up higher on the tundra. The fixed 4x are nice and bulletproof, but might be too much for 20yard shots.

ok, i'll speak for the variable crowd. I have 4 Vortex scopes and they are all great. for my 338 i have the Viper HS-LR with BDC reticle. it's a simple scope reticle and very clear for the price. its a 4-16x50mm and adds the right amount of weight to a hard kicking rifle. you still get the 4x that the fixed gets you, but then the added weight gets you up to 16x if you want to stretch out or make it easier to sight in at longer ranges. the 50mm really adds low light usage. this scope can be had for under $400 if you shop around. try cameralandny.com they always have great deals.

sorry, i'll add though that i have quick detatch rings on my 338 so i can get to the nice express style open sights for close encounters.

I like a good variable scope 3x9 burris usually... more than 3 power hard to see squat up close. A scope has more than just targeting purpose it's used to get a better look at brow tines and curls up close when bino's aren't handy. Eliminator or c4 plus will be my next scope

I use a leupold 2x7x33 on my 338. Plenty of zoom for any shot I'm willing to take, but most importantly, enough eye relief that I don't scope myself with that kicking mule of a rifle. I prefer leupold scopes to vortex. First because they are made in USA. Second, I have yet to have any issues with one. I'm not saying they are the best thing out there, and that vortex or nikon are crap. It's just my personal preference. Plus Leupolds seem to sell much easier than other brands if you decide to get rid of it.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Why do you even need a scope? The kill zone on a moose is quite large, a peep sight is all you need............................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Get on EBay and buy yourself a used fixed 4x Leupold, $150.
    Order and install Talley lightweights, $42.

Sight in and kill stuff, it's all real easy if we let it be.
    +1, if your hunting in an alter restriction area, you'll be getting close enough to use a 4x fixed and old school Leupolds are great, reliable and fairly easy to come by. Leupolds service is not what it once was, but it's still great.

If you're looking for bargain, I have a new Weaver classic 4x fixed and am very happy with it on my 308. I can't comment on warranty/service quality or durability on a big magnum. It does have a larger objective lens than the old leupold 4x and is a little quicker/easier for target acquisition.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Default Rifle scope question, need advice?

Quote Originally Posted by fishing nut View Post
    Yes, sir. Mainly moose. Next year will be caribou also, maybe. Forgot to mention that, sorry.
    I took last years caribou at 170 yards with my Leupold 1.5-5 on 5 power. 1 shot, one kill and I hadn't spent a whole lot of time shooting for practice that summer. A 4x really is enough for 95% of hunting shots. Even then, it just demands a little more practice and marksmanship. My cousin nailed a groundhog at 360 yards with a fixed 4 power on his M4. Granted it took him 3 shots, buts it's rare that you would actually 'need' more than 4 or 6 power if you put in the time with your rifle.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I'm all for fixed power scopes too, but, that being said, I have NEVER had a lick of a problem with my old, OLD Leupold 3x9. Personally I wouldn't downsize to a lower caliber optic than Leupold. I don't really care what the warranty is........a lot of good it will do ya when you're out in the woods and it won't aim right.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I started off with 3-9 variables, eventually going to 1-6 on .375 H&H,2-7 on .308,2.5-8 another .308. Regarding shots at realistic hunting ranges, those are all the scope I'll ever need.

I've got a 1-6x Nikon monarch I would take any amount of money for, it's held up to anything I've thrown at it so far. The Redfield revolution line are awesome for the money that's the set that are made in the US right next to the Leupold, the revenge series are made in who knows where. I'm looking really hard at the vortex he-lr for a longer range rig it's first focal plane for under $1000 no one else is doing that.
    Just remember good work don't come cheap and cheap work doesn't come good. Leupold fx line of fixed powers are great for the money and its a leupold your grandkids grandkids will still be using that scope.