Thread: Raft Replacement/Rental. August 28th-Sept 6th

Default Raft Replacement/Rental. August 28th-Sept 6th

Flying out with 70 North on the Ivishak on August 28th for my second trip up there. My buddy in Wasilla had lined up rafts, but one of them has fallen through and we need to replace it. Looking for advice on raft rental, either from a rental company or a forum member willing to rent me their raft. Any advice is welcome. May be willing to purchase a raft if anyone is selling.

Also, we took ran a boat up the river the last trip. This will be the first time on this river in a raft. Thoughts on oars vs paddles?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by MBURNS2244 View Post
    Flying out with 70 North on the Ivishak on August 28th for my second trip up there. My buddy in Wasilla had lined up rafts, but one of them has fallen through and we need to replace it. Looking for advice on raft rental, either from a rental company or a forum member willing to rent me their raft. Any advice is welcome. May be willing to purchase a raft if anyone is selling.

Also, we took ran a boat up the river the last trip. This will be the first time on this river in a raft. Thoughts on oars vs paddles?

Thanks in advance.
    Oars, and incase you didn't see this in the other fourm:

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/boa/4594227985.html

I can rent it too.

Definitely a frame and oars. You will have a much greater mechanical advantage with oars vs. paddles. Paddles are great for day trips where each person is really only propelling/steering their own weight. Once you add the weight of a weeks worth of camping gear and a caribou or two the advantage falls to oars even though it adds more weight than paddles. Plus, the Ivishak is very, very shallow in many places. You need a frame to suspend your gear off the floor and to put the weight on the tubes. The more your floor sags the more you will be dragging your raft through the shallows.

I've floated the Ivishak twice and would not want to float the 75 miles or so only under paddle power. It could be done but it would be far less enjoyable IMO.

if you've never rowed a raft I would strongly recommend you at least spend an hour or two on a local river or lake before attempting to float a shallow river with obstacles to avoid. Rowing is not difficult but trying to figure it out on a remote river is probably not the best place to learn.

Alaska Raft & Kayak or Alaska Raft Connection, both in Anchorage can probably hook you up with rental gear

http://www.alaskaraftandkayak.com

http://www.alaskaraftconnection.com

Or Blue Moose Rafting in Fairbanks

http://www.bluemooseraft.com

Couple things First is Don't let Mike see the Color he will have to own the boat! Sorry M.S. just easy cheesy there being Purple and all, 2nd thing H2ODog great looking boat will advise you about renting it to someone unless you are in the business of renting liability issues, insurance. Don't know you from Adam so please don't take it like I am slamming you I am not just pointing out a couple of things.

Last Birdstrike thanks for the plug but sorry to say I am booked out through 25 August through 25 Sept.

Rent a raft from Goo, Alaska Sotar dealer, and forum member goeaux. We bought two Sotars from Goo for remote floats. Toughest boats you can buy. He has several he rents for such purposes and can likely ship them where you are heading out from. Great guy and knows more about rafting than anyone I know of. We actually bought two rafts out of his rental fleet as I recall, but they looked brand new. Can't recommend Goo, or Sotar, highly enough. And as far as oars versus paddles, nothing to consider. Oars.

Dealer: Alaska Wildwater
    Attn: Goo Vogt
    Anchorage, AK 99516
    Phone: 1-907-345-4308
    Email: sotaralaska@yahoo.com

Dan

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.