Thread: Trimble i-device GPS apps

Default Trimble i-device GPS apps

Does anyone here use any of the Trimble GPS apps for their iPhone/Pad? I'm experimenting with the idea of going to an i device in lieu of a Garmin handheld, and I just downloaded the Trimble GPS Maps Pro App onto an iPad.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is in regards to the in-App purchases and the Premium GPS Subscription. It seems I can either buy the entire state of Alaska map set for $70 or I can get free downloads if I'm a premium subscriber for "free." (Subscription costs $3 a month or $30 a year.) If I go the subscription route, do I "lose" all of my map sets when the subscription expires?

Still toying with this idea, so I'm inclined to just do a one month subscrption. I"m using the girfireind's iPad before I pull the trigger on an iPhone for myself.

Well it cost me $8 to figure this out, but yeah, the maps "expire" when your subscription runs out. Not only that, but there is no other way to get the maps on your i-device than to download to your home computer, then sync the i-device, which sucks in my current situation as the iPad has no computer to sync to. We use it as a stand alone item. So I can't really test/experiment with the apps without buying my own iPod, which isn't happening if I don't know for sure I can or even want to use the iPhone as a GPS. Given that lack of trial opportunity, it seems to me that the best thing to do is go with the tried and true technology of a Garmin handheld and replace my flip phone with a flip phone. Bollocks.

Unless I was on a boat in the ocean most features of a gps are useless. The goto home feature is pretty much the only one I like when traveling off of established trails. Other than that I get out the way I got in and use a natural sense of direction and natural land features to figure things out.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

No reason to spend any money on an expensive app. Install the free PDFmaps app, then download the topo maps of interest (available as geoPDFs) here: http://nationalmap.gov/historical/. It's simple.

The PDFmaps app allows tracking, making waypoints, and drawing lines or polygons. You can measure distances too.

All the old topo maps are available for the entire country. Here in AK they have both the 63k and 250k maps.

I use it in the field all the time. Just remember to keep your screen off as much as possible and bring a backup charger.

After all that, I still prefer a Garmin with their digital topo basemap. Better battery life, the screen is always on, and less fiddling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. I forgot to mention. Downloading a map of the MAt-Su Borough...took five hours and then failed. On my third attempt now. pffft.

Forget Trimble. If you're not going to use a real, dedicated Garmin GPS receiver in leu of running an iFony app, then just buy the Topo Maps app for $8 (one-time fee and it is forever yours) and download all the USGS quads and quarter quads that you desire... for FREE. The built-in GPS functionality of the phone turns the USGS paper maps into a full-function mapping GPS unit.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

FL2AK-Old Town: I think the website is temporarily broken. I tried one yesterday too and it didn't work. I hadn't had a problem before yesterday, so I think it's a temporary glitch. The website is less than a year old and just got out of the beta testing.

Default Trimble i-device GPS apps

Just tried again and it is working. The map viewers are new, so might be glitchy at times. There are two interfaces:

http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/

And the USGS store "map locator" link found on this page:
    http:/store.usgs.gov

The USGS store interface includes the new (2013) topo maps that include imagery in the PDF. In Abobe Reader you can turn layers on and off. Although the new topo maps's contours are more accurate, they suck for navigating. Also, they don't transfer well into the PDFmaps app because the app shows all the layers in the PDF. So, anywhere there is an area with vegetation, the vegetation polygon will obscure the imagery.

Try downloading the Anchorage 250k quad again.

Last edited by AKChester; 07-30-2014 at 10:26. Reason: repeat

Quote Originally Posted by AKChester View Post
    No reason to spend any money on an expensive app. Install the free PDFmaps app, then download the topo maps of interest (available as geoPDFs) here: http://nationalmap.gov/historical/. It's simple.

The PDFmaps app allows tracking, making waypoints, and drawing lines or polygons. You can measure distances too.

All the old topo maps are available for the entire country. Here in AK they have both the 63k and 250k maps.

I use it in the field all the time. Just remember to keep your screen off as much as possible and bring a backup charger.

After all that, I still prefer a Garmin with their digital topo basemap. Better battery life, the screen is always on, and less fiddling.

Are you referring to avenza pdf maps?

Yep

Hmm. Interesting. There seems to be no way to actually transfer the pdf maps to the iPad or to the App. I have the maps on my desktop. I have them in my iTunes under Apps and added to the app under file sharing. I have synced the iPad. I have no maps. I have even added a new folder in the App to store the maps. Yet I have no maps.

I really dislike technology.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Forget Trimble. If you're not going to use a real, dedicated Garmin GPS receiver in leu of running an iFony app, then just buy the Topo Maps app for $8 (one-time fee and it is forever yours) and download all the USGS quads and quarter quads that you desire... for FREE. The built-in GPS functionality of the phone turns the USGS paper maps into a full-function mapping GPS unit.
    I know you're biased towards the Garmin product line, in part because you're like the AOD Garmin Guru. I have to admit, this iPhone stuff is incredibly user unfriendly. (Tried two Trimble Apps and the Avenza App.) But the only reason any of this has come up is it's time to swap out my flip phone. If not for that, we wouldn't even be having this discsussion. So, no, I'm not going to be buying a new Garmin handheld. (And if this iPhone stuff doesn't get a LOT LOT LOT better and a LOT easier very quickly, I won't be buying an iPhone, either.)

FL..... Don't give up on your iPhone mapping. I have the Avenza PDF Maps and recently found another app called ArcGIS that I have been playing with. Both apps are FREE Versions. I will have to review these two again since I haven't used them since last hunting season but if I recall the second app I mentioned interested me cuz it allowed u to drop cookie crumbs to show your route taken.
    I will probably update my phone to the iPhone 5 when I get back home this fall.
    There are a couple threads on iPhone and mapping from the last two seasons. Read up on em. Happy to help where I can. Cheers.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

To transfer the maps (PDF files) to PDFmaps app on your iPad or iPhone: 1) connect the device to your computer. 2) open iTunes. 3) click on the device button in iTunes( upper right corner. 4) click on the apps tab at the top. 5) scroll down to the app file sharing box at the bottom. ( important to scroll down, or you won't see the box). 6) select the PDFmaps app in the list on the left. 7)drag and drop a PDF file to the empty box. 8) open PDFmaps on the device. 9) click the + sign. 10) select import from iTunes sharing. It will take a minute to convert the map. Done. Email me if you want.

The Topo Maps app is not a Garmin product. Go look at their website... http://topomapsapp.com/

It is actual scanned images of actual USGS paper maps. The maps are free forever and only limited by the memory space on your iPhone or iPad. The app is a one-time $7.99 and worth every penny. You can pick the maps you want and download them directly into your iProduct over WiFi or carrier data. On a 3G network, it takes about 5 minutes to download each map (they run about 7MB each). But once you have the map installed, it is available offline and anywhere.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    FL..... Don't give up on your iPhone mapping. I have the Avenza PDF Maps and recently found another app called ArcGIS that I have been playing with. Both apps are FREE Versions. I will have to review these two again since I haven't used them since last hunting season but if I recall the second app I mentioned interested me cuz it allowed u to drop cookie crumbs to show your route taken.
    I will probably update my phone to the iPhone 5 when I get back home this fall.
    There are a couple threads on iPhone and mapping from the last two seasons. Read up on em. Happy to help where I can. Cheers.

OK. Clarification on my above post. Avenza PDF has "topo" maps that DO allow dropping crumbs (allowing a trail to be laid). The new (to me) ArcGIS app I added because rather than give u a 'topo' map, it comes in as a 'satellite' view which can be zoomed in just like a google earth view. Guess I'll have to see if Arc can get me that Satellite view where there is no cell ph coverage.
    The PDF maps I have used a lot hunting and snowmachining with much delight.

Well, still haven't taken a moment to actually go outside with these apps on the iPad yet. Still learning o get maps onto Avenza and just playing around with Avenza and Trimble. Oddly enough, soe time in the past, I must have downloaded Trimble Outdoor Navigator Pro for my iPod; I guess I was thinking I would look at maps on it or something. Come to find out, te Trimble Apps won't even load onto an Ipod Touch because they don't have a GPS rx, yet, the Avenza app will load and let me store offline maps etc etc. Just won't show my position.

On a related note, I spoke to the sales folks online at AT&T. Apparently, because my current plan is a pay per use text messaging plan, and because people won't stop sending me texts, those extra fees equal about what I'd pay for the 300MB data plan, which means going to an iPhone will get me unlimited voice and texts for within a few dollars of what I'm paying now for 450 mins a month on a flip phone. That would come with an iPhone 4S, which, according to the article that forum member bigakstuff posted in a different thread, is the better of all teh different iPhones for GPS use.

[QUOTE=FL2AK-Old
    yet, the Avenza app will load and let me store offline maps etc etc. Just won't show my position.

On a related note, I spoke to the sales folks online at AT&T. Apparently, because my current plan is a pay per use text messaging plan, and because people won't stop sending me texts, those extra fees equal about what I'd pay for the 300MB data plan, which means going to an iPhone will get me unlimited voice and texts for within a few dollars of what I'm paying now for 450 mins a month on a flip phone. That would come with an iPhone 4S, which, according to the article that forum member bigakstuff posted in a different thread, is the better of all teh different iPhones for GPS use.[/QUOTE]

FL.... I too have the iPhone 4. Finally broke away from the old flip phones 2.5 yrs ago and never looked back. Best move I could of made. With the downloaded PFD MAPS your blue light dot will show your position on the topo and give your gps coordinates when centered on the screen.
    The iphone is a 'computer' with a phone app (and many other functions) which has proven itself invaluable.

Well thanks for all the input, folks. Thought I'd post a follow-up note here to give some closure. So, I liked the GPS function of the iPhone (I actually used an iPad for testing). Overall, I preferred the Trimble App and maps over the Avenza and some of the other apps. What really killed the avenza for me was the relative difficulty of finding the maps I wanted on the USGS site and the lack of any kind of integration between maps. For example, I found myself getting close to the edge of a PDF map, which meant I had to go to the menu and find the next adjacent map. On the Trimble apps, the maps are super duper easy to find (purchase) and load to the device. They are also seamlessly integrated, so I don't have to be concerned with where the edge of my map is; it's going to just roll over to the next map automatically. I don't like that the Trimble maps are a "Subscription" which requires a constant, monthly bill. (That was the one thing that really torpedoed the iPhone as a GPS device replacement.)

So, I didn't find any reason great enough for me to switch away from my Garmin Handheld to an iPhone. Then I started looking at the cost of plans, and there just didn't seem to be anyway to get below $70 /month. So, what I decided, in the end, was actually to go backward and eliminate a cell phone of any type. I'm going back to a single phone in the home (still wireless: AT&T Wireless at Home), and dumping my cell phone all together. If that turns out to be impossible, THEN I'll go to the iPhone.

Try the app GPS KIT HD. Satellite maps in the field are a God send.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk