Thread: Mossberg 500 dropping shells

Default Mossberg 500 dropping shells

I have a Mossberg 500 that's only a couple years old, from day one it would drop and extra shell when chambering the next round. I found that out duck hunting which wasn't too bad, I'd hate to find that out during a bear charge. Any thoughts on how to correct that? I search Google a bit and couldn't seem to find anything indicating what the root cause might be.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I have a Mossberg 500 that's only a couple years old, from day one it would drop and extra shell when chambering the next round. I found that out duck hunting which wasn't too bad, I'd hate to find that out during a bear charge. Any thoughts on how to correct that? I search Google a bit and couldn't seem to find anything indicating what the root cause might be.
    Thanks!
    Have you completely stripped it and checked all the fitting? Seems like the metal bars in the receiver that hold the shells in place are not fit right or are not engaging the shells in the tube right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Have you completely stripped it and checked all the fitting? Seems like the metal bars in the receiver that hold the shells in place are not fit right or are not engaging the shells in the tube right.
    Thanks for the reply, been away from the computer for a while!

I have not diassembled it, wasn't sure if that was going to help, perhaps I'll try that. I was wondering if there was a common flaw of the bend in those bars not being accurate?

Thanks!

They make a staking tool for those bars for the stops and its common for them to come lose on Mossbergs and Remington 870s. Line up the holes and stake them with a center punch and they should stay awhile if thats the problem.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Thanks!
    I have same problem with my 870. Discovered while goose hunting. My dad said I might be pausing before sliding fwd. I haven't disassembled but I cleaned the heck out of it and cycled maybe a hundred shells through it at home. Went out next day and constant jamming. It sucked because I wasn't able to maximize my geese slaying. I'm wondering if it could be the angle I was shooting at? But I'm going to try disassemble first.