Thread: Ordered a back-up to main hunting gun

Default Ordered a back-up to main hunting gun

My main hunting gun is a SRH 9 1/2" with scope in 44mag. For back up I've been carrying my Alaskan 454 and relised two different shells sucked. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have my Talo RBH 3 3/4" 44mag sighted in ready for August opener on deer. My Alaskan can go back to hanging out with my H&R buffalo classic in 454.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Interesting. I read the title and thought you had ordered a back up...handgun...for your main hunting...rifle. While I agree to the convenience and overall common sense of two guns in the same caliber, I don't understand why you need (or just want) a back up handgun to back up your...handgun. Unless you're the Outlaw Josey Wales. He pulled handguns out of thin air.

Then again. I'm not a handgun hunter.

Nice. Are you happy with the factory grips on the Talo?

Second gun is for times when you don't have time to line up the scope. When the SRH is in shooting position in the brush its longer than a rifle mounted at the shoulder.
    Yukon I let you know on the grips,I have heard stories about them.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    ...I don't understand why you need (or just want) a back up handgun to back up your...handgun.
    I can pipe up from my own experience-

It's awfully nice to switch back and forth between the two as you move from one terrain to the next. For close-in work in tight cover, it's just hard to beat the open sights, especially on moving game. Move out in the open, and the scope gets the nod. I do this all the time with a scoped Contender in a shoulder holster and a revolver on my belt on the opposite side. One year to the next one or the other gets the most game, depending on the weather and where the critters are hanging then.

I never worried the least about having different calibers though, making my choices based on optimum for each gun's intended use. My favorite combo is something flat for long shots with the Contender and a Redhawk 44 wearing Ruger's original V-notch/gold bead hunting sights. Dandy, dandy combo carrying both.

Always nice to have a back up- especially in same caliber. Would be nice to see a pic of the pair sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    My main hunting gun is a SRH 9 1/2" with scope in 44mag. For back up I've been carrying my Alaskan 454 and relised two different shells sucked. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have my Talo RBH 3 3/4" 44mag sighted in ready for August opener on deer. My Alaskan can go back to hanging out with my H&R buffalo classic in 454.
    Excellent. Is that the Bisley?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Perry I'm one of the few that can't shoot the Bisley worth a dang. For me the Bisley has it all going for it but I srew it up somehow.

I never could get used to shooting a scoped handgun. I will shoot a deer out to 100 yards or so with the irons and fully expect to kill it. I think you have to learn how to shoot a scope on a handgun and I just never did that. My eyesight has faded some in recent years so I may have to bight the bullet and scope a handgun one day soon. Shooting a rifle at dusk and dawn with irons went away a few years ago, We sure took a lot of things for granted when we were younger huh fellas.

Well I picked up my pistol today after UPS kept it in Anchorage for four days ( 2nd day air my butt). From what I see its fit and finish is every bit a good or better than Rugers 90's guns. The grips fit perfect,cylinder true and timing great. The Alaskan 454 may be out the door,we will see. 66 and still find joy in a new gun. Will post some pic's when I get them.

Pistol shoots very good but wish it had the old dragon grip frame