Thread: POW Deer Hunt

Default POW Deer Hunt

I'm new to this forum and never have hunted in Alaska. I live in Washington state. A couple of my buddies and I are planning a trip to POW for a Sitka blacktail hunt next year in August. We are driving up there so we can have a truck to get around in. We are also looking at renting a forest service cabin to stay in. Where we are at a loss is figuring out where on the island we should hunt. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole or specific locations, just a general area or direction. We are also wondering what are some must haves as far as gear for alaska in August. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can drive as far a Prince Rupert but you got to take the ferry sometime in the trip. I would check out some of these places to get an idea. Some even give you a truck with your cabin.
    http://coffmancove.com/places.html
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The Deer are on top in late August ... POW season opens on Aug 16th for non-island residents ... the USFS cabins are on the bottom ... I would plan on a mountain climbing backpack style hunt.

A couple of things...fortunately, non of the peaks are very high on POW. I stayed at a Bed n Breakfast in Thorne Bay and drove a rented car each day to where I wanted to hunt...easy to do. Second, areas that have been clear cut, stay on the edge as the cleared area is a mess and Very hard to walk through. Lots of black bears to :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

If your hunting in August hunt high in the alpine that is were they will be located. As said before USFS cabins are down low so you will have one heck of a hike to get there everyday. I would plan a spike camp if you intend on staying in cabin on island. Lots of deer there though should be a fun hunt. Muskeg is the POW man. Those mountians can be thick and steep so be well prepared.

The northern part of POW has the highest densities of deer. I have taken deer everywhere and in between. The mountains just to the south from Salmon lake has some monsters up on top. The most productive and fun hunting was calling bucks in during the rut around Luck lake.
    If you go early, go high. Happy Hunting.

Thanks for the great info guys. Sounds like we will have to change some plans and plan for a backpacking hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    The Deer are on top in late August ... POW season opens on Aug 16th for non-island residents ... the USFS cabins are on the bottom ... I would plan on a mountain climbing backpack style hunt.
    Really, you gotta climb? 😄 prolly won't be raining, will it? All kidding aside, Johnnie Laird is the Oracle, what ever he says.......

Don't they have lots of blacktails in western WA?