Thread: Chitina Dipnetting in Sept.

Default Chitina Dipnetting in Sept.

Just noticed that this sub district is open till 30 Sept. My wife and I hit our one year in Alaska mid next month, and could buy a resident licence and make this period. Is it still worth doing in Sept or should we just wait till next year?

I went last couple years in September... very very few reds.... if you hit it right you can get some silvers..... it's really beautiful that time of the Year... trees changing colors,... fresh snow in the mountains.... water is usually lower.... I like to say if I can catch one fish I can have a wonderful camping trip... I usually load up on blueberries on the way home.... I'm not sure if im going this year in September... if I do I'll post from down there and let u know Hou fishing is

It has been several years since my dipnetting partners and I have gone to Chitina, but we used to go the second weekend in August and usually had good luck and still the normal Chitina weather, which can mean all four seasons mixed up into one day, so be prepared and have what you need with you. There were still plenty of Reds left at that time. September can also be good but far more Silvers than Reds. Usterwas that Hems charters had a Hot Line you could call and they would tell you up front how the fishing was, but there are no guarantees on anything in Alaska. I think Hems closes down around the second or third weekend in August, but worth checking it out. We used to go down to O'Brian Creek and then follow the trail down to the first railroad trestle and dip there, but the river changes and I don't have any current information personally. For years we just humped the fish and nets up and down the cliff, and if you do that, I would advise a rope for safety, and convenience sake, say 100' or so. I would also advise a rope down near the water as well to tie yourself off with. We used a rope on the net tied off from the net basket to the shore at an angle as it made things a lot easier. Fish the eddies and shut the net bag as soon as you get a good hit.

The last time I went, I couldn't get my partners in gear and went by myself and decided I would give Hems a try as I was by myself. Granted it was $100.00 then and undoubtedly more now, but I was very impressed with the service I received from them and would use Hems again with no question as especially now that I am older, it is well worth the cost and if they are running, they should have that Hot Line going and they will tell you right up front if it is worth the trip or not before you make that long drive. Believe me, I am one of those cheap buggers that will make a penny scream bloody murder, but when you have a few years on you as I now do, it is money well spent. Early to mid August is a great time, especially during the week as the fish should still be running well and the crowds are a lot smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post
    I think Hems closes down around the second or third weekend in August....decided I would give Hems a try as I was by myself. Granted it was $100.00 then and undoubtedly more now, but I was very impressed with the service I received from them and would use Hems again with no question as especially now that I am older, it is well worth the cost and if they are running, they should have that Hot Line going and they will tell you right up front if it is worth the trip or not before you make that long drive.
    Aug. 16th is the last day, and they are $110 now. IMO, it's a $110 that is absolutely worth it in work and time saved. Took me about 3 hours to get all the fish I wanted last week.

A TIDBIT ifs you allready have a licence [ nonresident ] an you hit the 1 year point you don't have to buy a new licence you can use what you have an just get a dip net card for the copper, an you are covered I belive that is the way it works for people that become a 1 year person but do check with fish an game SID

there's another one for you fishing in August