Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whale of a catch (video)

Default This is what I call a bum deal!

And here I thought it was tough getting a fish in on the Russian........holy smoke!!!!!

Charterboat Operator

Bummer, Big, Bummer!

Happens at least once a year near Juneau just like that, but it's usually the sea lions rather than orcas. Neat video!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thats pretty awesome, I mean it sucks he lost part of that fish but still a sweet video... Those guys are smart enough they sit around long liners and pluck the halibut offthe hooks as they come up
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Not a bum deal

I would gladly donate a fish to get an up close viewing of a POD of Killer whales. What a fantastic experience! And to see the little baby cruising around the boat waiting for the dude to throw the fish back in the water.
    A bum deal would be if a seal or sealion stole the fish.

A few years ago I was watching a mother grey whale and her calf lazily smimming on the surface. My brother said what are those big dorsal fins? A pod of Killer whale ambushed the grey whale and her calf ripping the tongue from the calf. Unfortunately, the calf did not survive but the mother was able to smim away.

Technically speaking they should have tossed the stump back too...
    First, it's "harassing a marine mammal" if you take its food away like that, and second, the fish probably didn't measure 28" after it's tail was removed. AST measures whatever you have left attached to the head...nose to...err...anal fin?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

****, that guy almost caught a whale!!

Default Illegal

It is illegal to use whole salmon as bait. ;D

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I wonder if his net was big enough for the whale? LOL

That was a cool clip. Has anyone ever caught a gull when they through out their herring? They can burn the drag pretty quickly.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default catching gulls

A while ago my dad and I were fishing on Isle Royle in the middle of lake superior. We were trolling floating rapalas behind the boat and he got a fish on. We left one rod alone while he fought his fish but by the time we got the fish to the boat we realized that the line of the other rod was dissapearing into the air. We followed it up and realized that our brown fat rap had floated to the surface and was now a good ways into the air in the beak of a gull.

We've never laughed harder or felt worse when we started to real and saw the gulls reaction. We safely netted it and removed the hook. The only thing that tops that is that very same day we hooked what we thought was going to be a state record lake trout but turned out to be a very angry cormorant. One of the best fights on a rod i've ever had until we snapped the line for fear of damaging the bird any more.

Default Whales ruin fishing trip

Orca might be around the corner. http://www.break.com/index/whales_ruin_fishing_trip.html I hope this isn't what I have in store for my biggest fish. What a bummer.

Default Orcas by Pony Cove

A large pod of Killer Whales appeard last July in Pony Cove. Six charter boats and 5 or 6 private boats including us went sort of closer and started watching and taking pictures, trying not to get too close. Suddenly one of the private boats (with dual 250hp mercury motors) gunned it full speed into and right through the pod. Maybe he was trying to scare them off so they wouldn't scare the silvers, I don't know, but he almost hit them. That boat was gone after that, kept going. I don't know if he got in trouble or not, but he should have.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I wonder what the law states about keep the fish?

-Ben

Once he saw it was only half the fish he thought it was he should have left it in the water for release. Once its removed from the water it must be retained correct?

Default Half!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Once he saw it was only half the fish he thought it was he should have left it in the water for release. Once its removed from the water it must be retained correct?
    True, but half the fish was till in the water, so he didn't remove the whole fish from the water
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default He should mount it.

I would be a better keepsake than the whole fish
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Tuna fishermen have been dealing with this for years and in some areas they have learned to follow the sound of sonar. Really surprised the Orca in Resurrection bay haven't picked up on this yet. One of the greatest experiences of my life was paddling in Resurrection in the middle of a pod. Legally it's not harassment if they approach you! I think they were just curious but every time I'd change course they would follow. If you think there impressive in a fishing boat try being a few feet from one in a 14' Kayak! Had a Humpback surface about 10' from me and a tour group in Monterey bay California when I was guiding down there once too. He was so close that when he surfaced by Kayak got pushed sideways!

Rick P

Smile Pretty Sure it is from Ketchikan

I am pretty sure it is from Ketchikan, I use to live there and I believe I was out with that guide, they mention his name on the tape. No size regulations for salmon later on in the season once they reach escapemnet in that area, they open it up to 12 kings per day.

Default Johnny from Muskeg

You probaly know this guy too. Listen close and you will hear his name.

This is Eric I worked at the lumberjack show with Brian and was friends with Sara.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast