Thread: Daily King Counts?

Default Daily King Counts?

I noticed that last week the Kenai King counts were being updated nearly every day - no doubt it was in the heat of things - crunch time so to speak. I thought that it was great that the public, as well as fish managers, had daily updates about King numbers. Then, the river closed, and now we are back to a 4 day lag. While the river may be closed to King fishing it is still fishing season - setnetters are waiting to hear good new on king counts, and we know that daily counts are possible. Why are we not getting updated daily any longer?

F&G is getting daily king counts. I heard they were really low over the weekend, I didn't hear exact numbers, just that they were low. Lots of pinks in the river too. We will see tomorrow when they are posted.
    F&G is thinking that the red run is over, no big pulse of fish coming late, sounds like they are starting to worry if they will make it, especially when you take out catch above the bridge, which has to be low compared to previous years, but still significant.

e
    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    F&G is getting daily king counts. I heard they were really low over the weekend, I didn't hear exact numbers, just that they were low. Lots of pinks in the river too. We will see tomorrow when they are posted.
    F&G is thinking that the red run is over, no big pulse of fish coming late, sounds like they are starting to worry if they will make it, especially when you take out catch above the bridge, which has to be low compared to previous years, but still significant.
    The in river goal has catch above the bridge built into it. The BEG or spawners is 7. 750,000 they will make that as it is only the 28th of July with three weeks of counting left.

I thought it was 1 million to 1.2? Take out the catch and you are back 700k to 800k. We are at 700,000 without the catch above the counter taken out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    e

The in river goal has catch above the bridge built into it. The BEG or spawners is 7. 750,000 they will make that as it is only the 28th of July with three weeks of counting left.

I thought it was 1 million to 1.2? Take out the catch and you are back 700k to 800k. We are at 700,000 without the catch above the counter taken out.
    The 1 to 1.2 million is an in-river goal not a SEG goal. It has harvest built into it. If the run stopped today you are correct but the run is not over. They are fishing in the corridor today so they must feel they will make the goal. Now if Comm Fish reaches 1.0 million but the sport fishery above is super efficient the plans require the sport fishery to close.

Well you heard more than me. I heard that Commfish expects to still make the inriver sockeye goal which accounts for inriver harvest. Things have tapered off for drifters and OTF. Still plenty of fish jumping on the south beaches, but some may be humpies. I will gladly clean some of those out thank you very much. While F&G sportfish may be getting daily counts, I do not think they are sharing them any longer. Bummer if weekend counts dipped again.

But neither the red nor the king run is over yet. Still have a few weeks left. A few weeks with less crowds and cold beer...