Thread: What's in your toolbox

Default What's in your toolbox

-With 'hunting season' around the corner, what does everyone have in their toolbox?
    What is the one tool you don't leave home without, and for those of us who have had to make repairs in the field, what is the one thing that you realized you needed and did not have last time you 'broke down' (eg spare belt).

Fuses. After I bought my boat I kept blowing fuses on my VHF. This happened a couple of times, until I learned the dealer installed the radio with the improper size fuse. But the couple times I was out on the water when this happened, I didn't have a functioning radio after the fuse blew. Made me nervous. After that, I kept an assortment of fuses in my tool box.

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

A reasonable amount of extra engine oil, lower unit oil, antifreeze/coolant, hydraulic fluid etc, and a way to put it where it needs to go (funnel, pump etc).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Most of the above^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Plus what ever it took to pull the pump appart to remove objects. when i did the tune up i kept the parts i replaced since they are still serviceable and the tools to remove\install said parts.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

I do my own service, so when I first got my boat I listed all the tools and generally use that took kit for service. There are some things you are just not going to do out in the woods. I have a tool for making hose clamps, file. Spare parts of anything I could drop in the water, like the oil fill plug on a 4S. Extra thermostat..... so far I havent needed to use the kit very often.....its one of those things you just dont know until that day.

I have some sticks of aluminum epoxy that I hope I never need.....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I'll put it this way... I was tied up with a friend a couple years ago...we were aways out in a nice little cove. He ask me that evening if I had a sawzall he might be able to borrow. He's a great mechanic and a very handy guy. I did have a battery operated sawzall with me, and was happy to say "sure". He looked at me kind of funny and smiled. You know he never did get or probably want the sawzall. I think he was fishing..

I'm adding a weighted throw rope, monkey fist type, we towed a boat in last weekend and attempting to throw a lenght of line to the dock was embarrassing.

I have a small tool box with assorted wrenches, all in one compact screwdivers, etc. When ever I work on the boat at home I use the tools from that box. When I find I don't have something and need to grab it from my home tool box I either leave it with the boat tool box or go buy a replacement. That includes marine heat shrink connectors and the ratchet crimper. I also have a assortment of fuses and a fuse link. a lot of zip ties and rescue tape. I have a number of 1" transom plugs around the boat. Several in the bilge. in the tool box and in the storage compartment under the seat. I forgot a plug one time 35 years ago that ruined a trip. I think I over compenate now. Ken