Thread: conduits & wire

Default conduits & wire

I thought I ask this here but if it's unsuitable, please remove the thread.

What's the best way to push 3 electrical cables through a continuous 400ft flexible PVC conduit?
    I'm pretty sure I'm not the first human doing this.

I don't remember what it call maybe, a mouse. It a foam plug with a role of string. Tie the string off, now place the mouse in the pipe and take a tank of high presser air and force the mouse threw the pipe. Now pull a heavy rope threw the pipe follow by the cable. I've also been told a shop vac will work.

You will also need conduit soap, lots of soap and a come-a-long.

Yes, that's the ShopVac/Compressor method.
    Will it work for 400ft of conduit?
    Have you seen or heard of anyone doing it for such a long conduit?

I guess it would depend on just how big the shop vac/ compressor is. lol

No, That does not mean anything because I'm not a cable puller at lease not power cable.

Use air pressure and whats called a mouse to pull a string through the conduit, then attach the string to conductors and pull them into the conduit. You can use whatever you want as a mouse. Like a ping pong ball etc something light. The pull string should be light weight yet strong. They make stuff called Mule string thats awsome but I'll bet 500 cord would work just fine.

Why push wires when you can pull? Have you tried finding an electrician's snake that is long enough?

http://www.licensedelectrician.com/S...FiberSnake.htm

No solutions to offer... but curious to the application. 400 feet is a long run for electrical wiring with some serious voltage drop.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post
    ....curious to the application. 400 feet is a long run for electrical wiring with some serious voltage drop.
    My first thought as well.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

You don't say what the size of the wire or conduit is. Regardless you need to insure the wire is unrolled without twists or kinks. same with conduit. Normally the trench keeps the conduit from moving. when you pull your wire through remember how heavy the wire is and plan accordingly with the size of pull line.

You could install pull boxes to shorten the length of each pull. I'm also curious about voltage drop. Make sure your conductors are sized appropriately for ampacity, over current protection, and VD

You're talking my expertice. What size conduit? What size wire?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

You need a bucket of jetline and a good shop vac, attach mouse specifically sized for your conduit or use a grocery store plastic bag. If your conduit is clean you will have no problem sucking a plastic bag with a shop vac. If you have dirt or rocks in the conduit use an air compressor and blow it out good, water is also an enemy.

Are you running 3 individual cables, or a 3 conductor cable? NFPA 70 has a chart for fill size for conduit. If you're thinking about running 3 individual cables in 400' of PVC, you might find it a bit challenging. Definately run a voltage drop calc, you will need to upsize your cable to account for the drop.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have to admit I would like to know WHY someone would do it instead of going overhead?

The cost is going to be crazy and I'm not sure if you can use normal cable (what ever that is) it will have to be direct burial cable and bury at least 3 ft down.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I have to admit I would like to know WHY someone would do it instead of going overhead?

The cost is going to be crazy and I'm not sure if you can use normal cable (what ever that is) it will have to be direct burial cable and bury at least 3 ft down.
    I'm a little to deep if you believe this site http://electrical.about.com/od/wirin...ablelength.htm

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    You need a bucket of jetline and a good shop vac, attach mouse specifically sized for your conduit or use a grocery store plastic bag. If your conduit is clean you will have no problem sucking a plastic bag with a shop vac. If you have dirt or rocks in the conduit use an air compressor and blow it out good, water is also an enemy.

Spot on with each sentence written..... Kudos
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I don't envy you pulling that run. Doing some basic voltage drop calcs at 3% and 120V per phase and 30A, you are looking at a minimum of 3/0 wire. Go to 50 amps and you need 300 MCM. 100 amps and then you get into the really fun stuff...1000 MCM. This is for aluminum wire as the cost of copper is ridiculous.

line/conduit lube in a BIG bottle

line to pull pull wire through

wire on spool roller to feed without kinkyy stuff

maybe even use larger conduit to wire diameter

still, what the application?
    why the need?

???

Chris