Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much ammo is enough ammo?

Default How much ammo is enough ammo?

How much ammo do you guys carry on your moose/caribou hunts? I'm thinking a 20 round box should be more than sufficient, and I can carry 6 in the rifle, 6 in a pouch on the gun case, and I might buy a stock sleeve that would hold 6 more, which would give me 18 (close enough). I really can't imagine needing more than 3 or 4. Am I off base here?

I carry 9. The elastic ammo carrier holds 9 and that's generally enough for a whole season of hunting.

If you don't kill it with #1 or #2....the odds go way down from there. Most rounds I fired in a season was 6...3 one shot kills and the last one needed a couple extra helpings.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I carry 9. The elastic ammo carrier holds 9 and that's generally enough for a whole season of hunting.

If you don't kill it with #1 or #2....the odds go way down from there. Most rounds I fired in a season was 6...3 one shot kills and the last one needed a couple extra helpings.
    That's kinda what I was thinking. In recent years, I've become an "over packer," but I just can't imagine getting more than one chance at a moose. Still, things are a lot different up here.

12 rounds per hunt and/or per rifle. If I should happen to bump my scope or rifle , I still have a few rounds to re-sight in on something, and of course, to protect yourself if you need to.

It's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

There's always places to squirrel away more ammo, within reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    How much ammo do you guys carry on your moose/caribou hunts? I'm thinking a 20 round box should be more than sufficient, and I can carry 6 in the rifle, 6 in a pouch on the gun case, and I might buy a stock sleeve that would hold 6 more, which would give me 18 (close enough). I really can't imagine needing more than 3 or 4. Am I off base here?
    I carry one plastic sleeve on top of one mag so maybe 13 rds?
    Shotgun is different because I'm usually hunting birds while moose hunting. And I use the shotgun for back up moose gun.
    I really have no idea why I carry so many 06 rounds. No caribou where I'm at. Maybe for
    friends if they need it?

i usually carry about 50 rds of 22 as well.

I pack a few rounds of ammo in each drybag and camp box on every flyin that I do, as well as the 15 rounds in my daypack. Have never needed more than a couple yet, but..... I figure ammunition is one of the lightest items I pack and 3 extra cartridges in a bag or snaptop box is unnoticeable insofar as weight is concerned. I know it may be a paranoia thing but say I was able to limp away from a plane wreck and locate one box while the rest were scattered who knows where, or I loose my pack with my ammo in a river crossing slip and fall scenario. I like to have a little extra squirreled away for the just in case scenario I hope never happens. I even have a little snaptop box that goes in with the kitchen gear every year that contains two cartridges of the proper caliber for every hunting rifle my party will have, that way if someone looses their ammo or forgets it at home at least they'll have a chance to have a successful hunt.

Dont have to take a bunch, just scatter it out in the gear, works for me anyway.

I also leave a spare clip for my rifle at base camp and a spare 10 rounds of ammo, just in case something goes wrong

50. You never know about bears, wolves, squirrels.......Bigfoot

I usually try to take 2 - twenty round boxes on remote trips. Like The Kid, I spread it around. I stopped using the elastic rifle buttstock holders, as I always ended up loosing ammo, and instead use the slings that hold 2 or 4 rounds as they never seem to loose ammo. I carry a leather ammo pouch on my belt or in a pocket after I stuff the gun full. I have never needed more than 2 rounds on any critter that I can recall. I did one time empty several rounds on a wounded mule deer a friend had shot trying to help secure it before it crossed a river - sad deal as it got away and had its lower jaw shot off. My friend actually had walked up to it and thought it was dead, he gave me his rifle and I was headed back to our truck to drop off the guns and drive closer. I had went a couple hundred yards when I came across a big blood trail and then heard my partner yelling. He came to me and said the deer had jumped up when he grabbed a leg to dress it. I had only glimpses of this deer running through willows, and tall grass, and emptied my rifle. So, weird things can happen for sure and eat up your ammo supply...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I always throw in a full box. You never know when you might need to sight in a bumped scope. Another thing that I had never considered, is that ammo doesn't last forever. I had stocked up ten years ago, and had been using up the ammo slowly for years. Well, last season I went to check the zero on my scope and had TWO misfires. After thinking about it, here's what I think happens. I usually shoot three or four rounds pre-season at the range so I am confident the scope is zeroed. Then I take the balance of the box into the field where at least six rounds (three in the magazine, three for back-up) are subjected to rain, snow, fog, or sweltering heat. When I get home, I put the balance of the ammo back in the garage storage and am likely to pull it out next season. I can't imagine spending all of the time and money it takes to chase down a legal bull just to have a mis-fire, so now:
    1. I take only fresh ammo in the field.
    2. I shoot up the box that went into the field when I am checking the scope zero.

1 shot 1 kill. I carry 4 in the Mag and 5 in the pocket. I keep an additional box at camp or in the boat but really you don't need 20 rounds in the field.

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.net
    drop camps and float hunts
    unit 23-Kotz

While out hunting, 3 in the rifle and three in a pocket. Back at camp will be the rest of a 20 round box. Now that is for the 'big game' hunting rifle. The .22 and shotgun ammo is a different story, with 25-50 of each. Never know when one might run in the that 'very aggressive bird'! There generally a varmint rifle not too far away and usually a 20 box for that also. Since we generally hunt from a base camp, along the road system someplace, weight is not an issue. If I was to 'fly' in to hunt then I would be really watching my weight.

Good advice here-more than I thought I'd get. I especially like the ideas of dispersing the ammo. I hadn't given much thought of ammo for an auxiliary gun. I don't think I"ll take a shotgun AND rifle, but I figured on carrying my 32 revolver with 5 or 6 in the cylinder plus just another 5 or 6 somewhere else. I'm planning a float hunt trip this year, so I'm not inclined to carry multiple long guns.

Incidentally, do any of you guys take any steps to "seal" your ammo? I recall rbuck making a comment about that somewhere, and I need to send him a PM on it, but I'm thinking of using beeswax or candle wax etc to seal the case crimps and maybe the primers, too. Just not sure how to go about it. Maybe I should pick up the smallest Pelican box to use as an ammo can. (Of course, I have GI ammo cans; I just don't have much faith in them.)

Mtm box and clear nail polish.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

20 is probably sufficient is most cases. Like others, I like to have enough to sight in a rifle if it gets dropped, hit, bumped, whatever. The total number of extra rounds also depends on the size of the group I am hunting with. If everyone, or at least more than one person, has the same caliber and shooting the same rounds, then you don't both need a bunch of extra. If you have another person with you who shoots a different caiber/bullet, then I want enough of each in case one rifle becomes unusable for whatever reason and you have to utilize the working rifle to fill all of the tags for that trip. I may only be planning to take a caribou in a trip, but if my dad has moose and caribou tags and his rifle isn't usable for whatever reason, I want to have enough ammo for my gun that he can use it to fill his tags.

Default Always bring too much.

Twenty should be fine. But I can't see taking less than that. Also, a short barreled 870 20ga pump with a box of 6's or 7 1/2's and 5 slugs would make a fine companion if you can stand the weight along with a light spinning or fly rod. Caribou country is also usually ptarmigan country and a grayling or Dolly varden/arctic char over a campfire or in a skillet beats MH all to pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    Twenty should be fine. But I can't see taking less than that. Also, a short barreled 870 20ga pump with a box of 6's or 7 1/2's and 5 slugs would make a fine companion if you can stand the weight along with a light spinning or fly rod. Caribou country is also usually ptarmigan country and a grayling or Dolly varden/arctic char over a campfire or in a skillet beats MH all to pieces.
    Nothing like fresh bird or fish. This year I brought up my youth model 22 single shot for my bird gun. While floating and before we actually head out we spend a little but if time shooting
    spruce chickens. Great trapping bait and excellent food.

Back in the 1990s when I was scuba diving the SE corner of the lower 48 .44magnum for bangsticks for sharks would get a coat of clear nail polish on the primer/brass seam and a another stripe on the bullet/ brass seem. Had a few of those 100 feet under water for a couple hours at a time with no misfires - but as has been alluded already, ammo that has been to the field should no longer be treated liek factory new ammo.

I too fire off everything that got wet and sandy and so on to put the brass back in circulation. However, the ammunition that went out into the field with me sealed up in a foodsaver bag that comes home still sealed in a foodsaver bag having only been cold without getting wet or sandy, that stuff I treat like new ammunition, unlimited shelf life.

FWIW if I take a gun into the field I have at least 12 and sometimes as many as 20 rounds for it scattered around in my gear.

For a total count, I bring 40 to camp. I keep 3 in the gun, 4 in my sling and usually an extra 10 in my daypack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast