Thread: Kenai rainbow questions

Default Kenai rainbow questions

So I took the old lady from skilak to bings today for our second ever Kenai river trip. I now live in sterling so it's nice to be able to drive 5 minutes to a fishing hole. We tried for trout as I am not interested in salmon so I did some research and ended up using a bead setup ( after reading the long thread on here) I did a bead about 2" above the hook, split shot about 18" above that, 12' leader etc. we had pretty good luck and also did well by replacing the bead and hook with a flesh fly but I noticed that although there were several other boats fishing like us with a thingamobobber and all there were also a lot of people drifting down with spinning setups and no strike indicator and they were doing really well. When I tried to see what they were doing it appeared as though they were just dragging split shot a few feet above a flesh fly all the way down the river. Have you see this and am I correct about what they were doing? For some reason I just thought everyone fished trout with beads on that river...

Those could have been and probably were Flesh Flies as they too are used frequently. I am no expert on the Kenai and hope someone chimes in here..

As stated they could have been bottom bouncing beads or flies.

I, not being any semblance of a fly fisherman, use that exact setup for fishing trout in the river. Caught 12 dollies and 2 nice bows last Sunday on the lower river with beads and my 10' shimano side drifting rod. I tie a #12 gamakatsu octopus onto the line after sliding a bead and a good sized corkie on. I prefer orange or pink hooks but black works too. Peg the bead 2" above the hook and peg the corkie up about 5 or 6 feet. I then pinch a splitshot on about 18" above the bead, start small and increase the weight until I feel it bump the bottom every 3-6 feet on the drift, I also adjust the corkie for a longer or shorter leader depending on the depth of the area I'm fishing.

Flip upstream to 2'oclock and keep the rod tip up as it drifts by to keep the setup floating downstream more or less vertically. Keep a finger on the line and watch the corkie, when the corkie goes down or you feel a strike give it a quick set.

When drifting out of a boat just pitch it out on the upstream side and let it ride, usually much easier to get a good hook set from a boat because you needn't worry about the slack.

Probably not the "proper" setup, but I've caught piles of fish like this over the last few years. If you want to fish flesh flies just sub one instead of the hook. I couldn't get them to bite any fleshies other than orange and cream last weekend, but that's why you have a fly box right?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    So I took the old lady from skilak to bings today for our second ever Kenai river trip. I now live in sterling so it's nice to be able to drive 5 minutes to a fishing hole. We tried for trout as I am not interested in salmon so I did some research and ended up using a bead setup ( after reading the long thread on here) I did a bead about 2" above the hook, split shot about 18" above that, 12' leader etc. we had pretty good luck and also did well by replacing the bead and hook with a flesh fly but I noticed that although there were several other boats fishing like us with a thingamobobber and all there were also a lot of people drifting down with spinning setups and no strike indicator and they were doing really well. When I tried to see what they were doing it appeared as though they were just dragging split shot a few feet above a flesh fly all the way down the river. Have you see this and am I correct about what they were doing? For some reason I just thought everyone fished trout with beads on that river...
    It's called side drifting or boon dogging. As you observed, you just drag your fly, bead etc behind the boat at the same speed as the current while bouncing off the bottom. Very effective
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

boon doggin does work well, but I have found for me personally on the Kenai dead drifting works much better with beads and flesh. Dead drifting is more or less the same thing, but I keep the bow pointed up stream and use the motor to keep the boat at the pace of the river with little to no dragging. I think dragging changes the presentation of the fly and or bead which may or may not make the fish think twice about striking it. Since I can't actually see whats going on underwater I really have no idea if if this is correct or not, but my success levels are higher dead drifting. Also don't be afraid to try other types of flies like sculpin patterns, leeches and smolt flies. Getting sucked into one fly or color can make for some pretty slow days.

Good info guys, I really appreciate it. One more thing I have noticed in the regs is that in the month of August you are allowed to use bait and multiple hooks. The question is why would anyone use bait and what would they be targeting? Rainbows? Salmon?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    Good info guys, I really appreciate it. One more thing I have noticed in the regs is that in the month of August you are allowed to use bait and multiple hooks. The question is why would anyone use bait and what would they be targeting? Rainbows? Salmon?
    silvers would be it im assuming
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Silvers kinda like the roe and if you are planning on keeping a couple to eat...

A lot of the bait draggers use shrimp for bows as well when it's open.

You can use bait and multiple hooks from the upper Keily down stream. Yeah there are people who use shrimp for bows…….. it is legal, but moral not so much……...