Thread: First Timer

Default First Timer

So this year will be my first year hunting Caribou. I'm trying to look in the regs and online ADFG, but I can seem to find when the season opens. I always heard you need to go the day it opens, because EO can close spots down right away. Any advice on how to decipher ADFG regulations?

It's pretty straightforward, really. The regs are organized by Game Management Unit (GMU). You might want to have a look at our Caribou Hunting Page for an overview of which units have caribou, then go back to the regs and look those areas up for season dates and such.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Where are you hunting?

your profile uses the word "novice". If you are just now getting into hunting you should get together with someone from your unit that will show you the ropes. It makes it easier to do the logisitics coordination.

Many first timers complain that the AK regulations are confusing or overly complicated. Maybe. What I have learned from meeting several newly minted hunters and residents is they lack basic geography skills. If you can't read a map very well, then the AK regulations will be difficult. You have to know what you are looking at and where it is before getting too far into the information.

Since you were not a resident for the drawing application period last winter, you are limited to over the counter harvest ticket hunts. The 40 mile registration hunts may be an option, but you will need to do some research and keep up on any quick changes by F&G. Here is a link to the 40 mile EO. Keep in mind that the 40 Mile hunt can result in a wide variety of legal issues. Know that a bull caribou looks like. Know which zone you are in. Know which day the season opens or closes in that zone. Notch your havest ticket before you start gutting the caribou. Report your harvest as soon as you get back home. All these things are simple to accomplish but the Troopers find quite a few first time caribou hunters don't find it simple to comply with the rules for this hunt.

The other option is to hunt the Dalton Highway with archery gear or walk in 5 miles to use a rifle. This is usually not a good idea for a novice hunter. While hunting the Dalton don't do this, because it will result in this. Hopefully as active duty airforce your command as made this event part of your orientation. However, I would not be surprised if it has all been forgotten due to command turn over.

The other option is to fly out in the Brooks Range or Kotzebue. Most air services have had their flight schedules booked since the spring. But they may have cancelation days open at this point in the summer.

You should consider the caribou herd on Adak. There are about 3000 animals on a 300 sq mile island. They taste delicious because they don't have to migrate like the mainland herds and also there is no insect issues. The season is open all year long for cows. It also has incredible ptarmigan hunting and good salmon fishing. Alaska Air fly's there every Sunday and Thursday - weather permitting. Send me a PM if you want info.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostriver View Post
    You should consider the caribou herd on Adak. There are about 3000 animals on a 300 sq mile island. They taste delicious because they don't have to migrate like the mainland herds and also there is no insect issues. The season is open all year long for cows. It also has incredible ptarmigan hunting and good salmon fishing. Alaska Air fly's there every Sunday and Thursday - weather permitting. Send me a PM if you want info.
    If you're hunting Adak, you might want to give our Adak Caribou Page a look-see. Some info there that could save you a little trouble.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay