Thread: Clothing

Default Clothing

How much clothing do you pack for a 10 day walk in hunt? How many pairs of socks, shirts, pants, underwear, etc?

Default usually...

... a couple prs of everything "under", all poly pro. Wash it now and then, if at all possible. Maybe two prs of pants, thin cotton/poly or wool dress pants; thin, dry quickly, layer over poly pro if need. An occasional clothes washing and bathing and/or baby wipes prevents smelling like a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    ... a couple prs of everything "under", all poly pro. Wash it now and then, if at all possible. Maybe two prs of pants, thin cotton/poly or wool dress pants; thin, dry quickly, layer over poly pro if need. An occasional clothes washing and bathing and/or baby wipes prevents smelling like a bear.
    about the same, but I also add allot of socks. keep them feet dry
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

My rule is "Wear one, wash one" except for sox and gloves. I carry several extras of each because they're small and light. Ditto with jklingel on the babywipes.

For backpack hunts I pack the following

NO COTTON (except drawers)

1 set base layer--polypro or equivalant
    2 sets fleece mid layer (1 to wear + spare)
    1 pr whitey tighties for every 3 days (wear 3x & bury or burn) (some guys go commando but thats not comfortable for me after a day or two)
    2 pr socks for every day + 2 pr (liner sock & mid weight merino/smart wool)
    1 wind layer (pants & jacket & gloves)
    1 set packable rain gear
    1 fleece beanie
    1 fleece gloves

I take babywipe baths every other day and I take a bar of "motel" soap for a warm water bath at the halfway point

I used to wear wool pants but have since become a wind-pant convert. They're warmer and waaaaay lighter.

Final thought on clothes--Don't skimp. Quality stuff pays for itself in the long run, and test drive your clothes. Meaning wear what you will walk in, and hunt, with while wearing the pack you will take. This lets you identify anything that's not working as advertised and make substitutions.
    I have some base layers that suddenly became miserable to wear with a pack. The seams dug into my shoulders and they bound in my armpits--of course I didn't notice until day 2 when it was too late. They're fine to wear for general purpose but under a pack they're torture.

Default Wow

I can't imagine packing that much stuff in. Not to mention I don't have 20 pair of socks.

I also wear one/wash one except for socks because I go through two pairs a day so I wear two wash/wash two.

Default Clothing....

Let me emphasize Eric in Ak's comment....with one modification....

NO COTTON...PERIOD.....sorry for shouting.

There is a whole world of great synthetics out there...even synthetic drawers. Synthetics always dry fast, compared to cotton...and wool will keep you warm when its wet, but it will stay wet. Modern synthetics will, for the most part, dry from your body heat and you will, in the end, be more comfortable and ....SAFER. If you take a dunking, you can take off synthetic clothes, wring them out and put them back on. They will dry from body heat. The only place for wool in modern gear, as far as I can see, is in Smartwool Light Hiking socks.

Stay warm, dry and safe.

And don't forget to pack at least one stocking cap made of the new synthetic/wool blends. If no stocking cap, then a rain-proof and insulation lined cap, one with a built-in insulated band to roll down over your ears. I have one like that, and is insulated with a synthetic material. The cap looks like the one Elmer Fudd, the TV cartoon character, wears, except that its camouflaged and rain proof. The bill is very short, so it does not get in the way when looking through the rifle scope.

When cool out and I am not moving around, I wear the hat or cap I mentioned above to slow down loss of body heat out my head.

Washing is important when clothing supplies are limited, because clean clothes always function better than dirty.

Here's a washing tip: You can easily get a 10-day supply of soap into a plastic 35mm film canister. Lot's lighter than a bunch of spare clothes. Add about 1/4 teaspoon to a ziploc bag, put in one clothing item at a time, add water to cover and seal it up. Aggitate well by squishing the bag back and forth in your hands, then remove the clothing item and wring the water back into the bag. You can do a lot of laundry on that quarter teaspoon of soap. Rinse clothing well and wring as dry as you can, then allow to dry overnight. As Rick points out, synthetic fabric is a bunch easier to dry than anything else.

Default cloths - 10+ day backpack

synth beanie of some sort
    3 pair gloves: light, leather, heavy
    2 pair syn/lycra base layer: light, heavy
    syn shirt
    heavy fleece top
    3 pair socks with liner socks
    ball cap - h20 resistant/proof
    no pants - I wear base layer under breathable rain gear
    2 pair syn under ware
    necker chief/sweat rag/towel (syn)
    (I don't do laundry when sheep hunting)

My list

1 beanie hat
    2 pair of socks and 2 pair of liners
    2 base layer tops(one light, one midweight)
    1 baselayer bottom
    1 midweight shirt
    1 windblocker jacket or pullover
    1 poly zip off pant
    1 fleece windblocker pant
    1 raingear top
    1 raingear bottom
    1 pair of fleece windproof gloves
    2 pair synthetic briefs

This would be for an Aug 10th hunt, a little later in the season with cooler temps things change.

Default Gotta take care of your feet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    I can't imagine packing that much stuff in. Not to mention I don't have 20 pair of socks.

Blackfoot,
    To be clear 21 prs of socks for a 10 day hunt is 1 pr of liners which weigh next to nothing + 1 pr of socks. I have sensitive feet so foot care in the field is an absolute must for me. My hunting sock collection is kind of mix n' match. I have a few merino's some wool/poly blends and Smart-Wools.

Allow me to say that Smart Wool brand socks are far and away the BEST SOCK I HAVE EVER WORN. I won't backpack without them.

Rick raises a good point about synthetic underwear but I've never had a problem and if I ever did get wet to the skin, I would get rid of them when I change.

As far as my list being "a lot to carry" the list above weighs just over 7 lbs with the socks. Everything ('cept the skivies) is fleece/synthetic...lightweight and drys fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    For backpack hunts I pack the following

2 pr socks for every day + 2 pr (liner sock & mid weight merino/smart wool)

Erik ,

Would you really pack 20 pair of socks and 20 pair of liners for a 10 day hunt? Thats a lot of pack space.

Cub,
    Yes I would take 20 prs for 10 days but that would be my limit. Beyond 10 days I would make provisions to wash them while afield. Considering that it's rarely warm and sunny in the sheep mountains, to get my socks washed and dried to my standards it would cost me a day to do laundry. i.e. hike down to the treeline, make fire, wash dry socks, put out fire etc. etc. and hike back to camp. It's simply more cost effective for me to carry more socks.

Like I said earlier my feet require babying. Yours or anyone elses may not. The extra bulk of a pair per day is a necessity for me. The liners are thin and take very little room in my pack. In fact 7 days worth of the socks I carry fit in a gallon ziploc bag.

All that said I've ever carried 20 prs of socks since my longest back pack trip to date is 8 days. It was on this trip I became a pair-a-day guy. I brought 4 sets (liner + sock) thinking I'd get two days per set. I ended up changing into fresh socks very early into day 2 and ended up wearing all my socks at least twice--stepped in the creek, wet boots--by day five I my feet were getting hotspots early and often which really limited my ability to hunt, and the walk out...all 18 miles, was a blister-fest.

I'm not suggesting evreyone do as I do. I mearly posted what I would carry on a 10 day hunt. I operate under the assumption that any suggestion or help that i offer will be tailored to a person's individual needs, because that's what I would do if the...ahem...sock was on the other foot.

Cheers

Here is my list I normaly hunt off horses and go out for 14-21 days at a time and I wash my clothing everytime I get a chance. Most of my clothing other than my hat and boots need to be throwen away after each trip and I always have a full set of clothing left at the truck to change into before I go home. all items on my list include items worn.

1. 1 wool socks
    2. 3 cotton socks
    3. 3 under wear
    4. 2 wool under shirts long sleeved
    5. 1 wool under pants
    6. 2 pair hunting pants
    7. 1 warm hat
    8. 1 brimmed hat
    9. 1 pair rubber boot
    10. 1 pair hunting boot
    11. 1 pair leather work gloves
    12. 1 pair warm gloves