Thread: Over buried potatoes

Default Over buried potatoes

Ok we planted potatoes in a half black plastic barrel just like last year. Put them in the bottom foot or so and as the plants have grown we've added dirt. This last burying I think SOMEBODY got a little over zealous and SHE also laid,the plants o their side since,m there was no more room to add dirt. A week later about half the plants have failed to claw their way back to daylight. I dug in and found basically leafless stems that look lifeless. All this in a week-8 days. Out of the 3 half barrels 2 have some signs of life, one has none. I'm wondering should we dump that one over and have early potatoes? Or is it just too early? These are "iditereds". On a positive note I think at least somebody will not be as over zealous about wanting to rebury the potatoes at any sign of greenery......and a "wild" potatoes that sprouted down by the compost pile where we planted our containers seems to be doing VERY well......even though it now has 8-10" out in the sunshine!! Any advice on how to salvage would be appreciated!

We've done the same thing before. My wife said that when she had this happen she dug down to the plant stem and some of them grew new leaves within a few days. Some of them were very wilted and rotten and never did come back.

Palmer, Alaska, United States

Oh what a bummer! Is it possible to dig around and feel for new potatoes without dumping? I mound, at most, three times a year...This year only twice.

Maybe your compost potato will produce some spuds for you too...
    Taxidermy IS art!
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!