Thread: Importance of weight and bait location in shrimp pots

Default Importance of weight and bait location in shrimp pots

Check the video out on how important weight and bait placement is in a pot. Polardds sent me this video he made with the pot i built him for his gopro to mount in. Notice that the pot has no weight and it landed upsidedown and more importantly how the bait jugs weren't attached/hung and that the herring he threw in just floated to the sides of the pot and the good number of shrimp just sat outside the pot to eat the bait !! I think it would have been a very good soak(and catch) if the bait would have been centered in the pot and some weight added to make the pot land correctly. I don't know anything about the situation he had when setting the pot so there might be a good reason this happened. Enjoy the vid and listen for the "bumps" you hear every so often ?? i guess its shrimp banging into the pot ??? I do think it came out as a killer video, shows whar really is going on down there and how fast they find a pot many thanks for sending it polardds !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

That's pretty cool...and good advice for bait/weight orientation. Do you know what those critters are that appear at the right of the screen and look to be about an inch long? Looks like a good swarm of them but they seem not to enter the pot???? Also, I was wondering if you think a zillion sand fleas bother, annoy or scare off shrimp? I had posted earlier that I drilled larger holes in my bait jars so the sand fleas would break the bait down an put out a better scent trail....then I said to myself..."self, what if shrimp are bigots and don't like being around sand fleas?...if that were the case, it pretty much cancels out the tactic".

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    That's pretty cool...and good advice for bait/weight orientation. Do you know what those critters are that appear at the right of the screen and look to be about an inch long? Looks like a good swarm of them but they seem not to enter the pot???? Also, I was wondering if you think a zillion sand fleas bother, annoy or scare off shrimp? I had posted earlier that I drilled larger holes in my bait jars so the sand fleas would break the bait down an put out a better scent trail....then I said to myself..."self, what if shrimp are bigots and don't like being around sand fleas?...if that were the case, it pretty much cancels out the tactic".
    First guy to the dinner table gets the most to eat !! I don't think the shrimp even know or care what the fleas are. If they are a inch long they can drift right through the wire i'd think. Try fishing a jar with tiny holes all i've seen with them is the bait lasts forever but the pot doesn't have any shrimp in it. I'll stick with big holes !

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    First guy to the dinner table gets the most to eat !! I don't think the shrimp even know or care what the fleas are. If they are a inch long they can drift right through the wire i'd think. Try fishing a jar with tiny holes all i've seen with them is the bait lasts forever but the pot doesn't have any shrimp in it. I'll stick with big holes !
    Interesting. Ill have to try using bigger holes! Been doing ok with little holes but never had the glory days like some do. That might be part of it. First I need to come see you about a new puller setup. Sold my boat and the new doesnt have a puller on it!

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Interesting. Ill have to try using bigger holes! Been doing ok with little holes but never had the glory days like some do. That might be part of it. First I need to come see you about a new puller setup. Sold my boat and the new doesnt have a puller on it!
    Sure stop by anytime, i just had AKmud Rob finish up some davits for me.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I wanted a clear view so I put the orange bait canisters in the corners. I thought the free floating herring would attract some other critters of the deep. The wind and current were rather strong when we dropped this string of pots. Sometimes you learn allot when things don't go perfect. Thanx to Steve for building the custom pot!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious, how deep was this sitting and did you have to get a different housing for the GoPro to go that deep?

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    I wanted a clear view so I put the orange bait canisters in the corners. I thought the free floating herring would attract some other critters of the deep. The wind and current were rather strong when we dropped this string of pots. Sometimes you learn allot when things don't go perfect. Thanx to Steve for building the custom pot!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Experiment then tweak...rinse and repeat.. Sounds like you've already learned a lot. I bet your videos just get better and better!!

No more Bayrunner? I have followed some of your old posts about the versatility of a 20' Bayrunner. I bought my first Bayrunner last week. I'm setting it up for shrimping and lake trout fishing. Spring couldn't come soon enough.
    You will miss 100% of the shots you never take.

I've yet to see the presence of sand fleas as a deterrence to shrimp, often times pots with lots of shrimp have the bait jars full of fleas feasting on the bait.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've yet to see the presence of sand fleas as a deterrence to shrimp, often times pots with lots of shrimp have the bait jars full of fleas feasting on the bait.
    Iíve tried big holes and small holes and settled on a 3/32Ē I think. Chuck it up in a Dremel tool and punch tons of holes. I think they fish as good as the large holes without being full of sand fleas that seem to get all over the deck, and the shrimp crack lasts way longer. We occasionally do long soaks for 3 or 4 days and having small holes definitely keep the shrimp coming for dinner, these long soaks often produce a pot full of monsters if an octopus doesnít decide to dine.
    Ready for the weekend!!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

The last couple weeks I have doing the commercial shrimp fishing thing in area 3. I have been using 40, 30 inch Ladners, 12, 37 inch Ladners, 6 of Steves pots that are weighted with r bar and 2 green metal pots. In Steves pots I am using Danielson Shrimp jars which have large holes, and in the Ladners I am using Scotty Shrimp jars small holes. Most sets Steves pots produce better and more shrimp but is because of pot design and not the size of the holes in the jars. Big holes may be Ok for short sets but in areas with lots of sand fleas all your bait is gone in 12 hours or less. I have used Steves pots with jars made up with small holes and the results where the same. Where you place your pots, the depth, and what the tides are doing are very important.

We check our pots twice a day. The decision to go deep (700ft) made all the difference. Got a lot more shrimp.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Mkay,
    Does it matter on the time of year for depth? Ie.....spring is shallow then summer go deeper, or deep from opener to end of year?
    Bk

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Mkay,
    Does it matter on the time of year for depth? Ie.....spring is shallow then summer go deeper, or deep from opener to end of year?
    Bk
    ever see a shrimp with a depth finder ?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Aint seen a fish with a thermometer, but they sure stay in certian thermoclines that are more comfortable......wonder if shrimp do also?!
    Bk

In past years I felt that I did better shallower earlier (350-400) and then as the summer came on and progressed I fished deeper and deeper out to 650/700. This spring I have done better deeper 550+ than shallower, but I think the area I have been in is just over shrimped.

Aint seen a fish with a thermometer, but they sure stay in certian thermoclines that are more comfortable......wonder if shrimp do also?!
    Bk
    maybe its more where the feed is than temps ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

maybe its more where the feed is than temps ??
    Always willing to learn or at least listen to an opinion.
    Can't complain with our last weekend though, 72 lbs of tails of 3 daysof shrimping.
    Been sharing with friends and family who are very happy to get fresh bugs.

Bk

Always willing to learn or at least listen to an opinion.
    Can't complain with our last weekend though, 72 lbs of tails of 3 daysof shrimping.
    Been sharing with friends and family who are very happy to get fresh bugs.

Bk
    where's mine ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692