Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm Best Hunting and DG defense bullet.

Default 10mm Best Hunting and DG defense bullet.

What do you consider the best all around 10mm bullet when hunting?

200gr Hornady XTP

Buffalo Bore 220 hard cast!

How hard is it to get 10mm right now?

Does anyone have any experience with 180gr. Full Metal Jacket (flat nose)? It's the only load I've found lately in10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruger View Post
    How hard is it to get 10mm right now?
    I've seen it many different places in the valley and ANC lately. More and more and different kids showing up.

It's tough to find in Fairbanks. Guy at Sportsman's said he hasn't seen any for months.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

By the end of the month we are going to be shipping 15,000rds of 225gr Hard Cast. These have the synthetic coating so they are safe for the Glock shooters as well. We made a deal with one of your shops in Anchorage to distribute these. After this shipment we will start with shipping both FMJ and Hard Cast.

Glad to hear we'll have more 10mm ammo choices. I bought a Glock 20SF Gen 4 a couple months ago, a KKM 6 inch barrel and dropped in a Zev Tec Fulcrum trigger. Dawson Precision adjustable sights are on the way.

I've been handloading some 200 grain WFNGC lead bullets I bought online from DoubleTap. They sell bullets and brass (actually nickel cases) for the 10mm too. I'll be trying em on blacktails this November on Prince of Wales but I can't imagine how any 180 grain load would be better. I haven't tried the bigger 220-230 grain cast bullets yet and I wouldn't go so far as to say the 200 grain bullet in the 10mm is the sweet spot but I think with the 200 grain loads you get a good balance between weight and velocity. I view the 220 and larger cast loads in the 10mm kinda like a 200 or 220 grain 30-06 load. Deadly but with a slightly more limited trajectory. Although, I'm new to the 10mm and we are talkin about shooting at pistol distances not long range, so I could be completely wrong.

What's the biggest animal you have taken with your 10mm? If you have a 460 Rowland jump in.

Ive taken several Sitka blacktails and a couple caribou with bullets from 155gr to 200gr. Hornadys XTP has performed very well for me, if I were deliberatly hunting bear with the 10mm, I might bring some hard cast bullets, but I dont feel they are necessary.

Ya Hornady has been kind enough to suspend their 155 and 200 grain 10mm XTPs.

I've used the XTP's on black bears over bait and have had excellent results. I've used them in my 10mm, .357, and .44mag. Critters never went very far. If the conditions were right I would hose a moose with my 10mm.
    Henry Bowman for President

I have been very pleased with Double tap 200 gr wfhcfn or whatever. Hard cast flat bullet. Very reliable and accurate in my glock 20 with standard length KKM barrel and my delta elite. Must have got a bad box once as I had a few light primer strikes in both guns, which neither had ever had before. Mike at DT sent me a free box and sure enough, 100% reliable. As I recall, it was just a bad batch. Not sure. With cost and availability issues associated with 10 mm, I consider reloading a great option. Got a Dillon 550B and cranking out 10 mm ammo at a fraction of the prices I was used to paying. Like $7-8/box of 50, compared to paying $35-40/box for commercially available options. A simple reloading kit can be bought pretty cheaply. Something to consider.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Has anyone used Gold Dots?

I have tried the Gold Dot a couple times, but never got further than load development. I could never get them to shoot as well as the any of the other bullets I use.

For TENmm and 200 gr XTP's: do you use those if packing the gun for big bear defense as well?
    Last edited by CabinetGoat; 09-14-2014 at 15:44. Reason: reference to post

While nearly impossible to obtain in Alaska the UNDERWOOD 10mm is a very good preformer and offers a wide range of bullet weights at true 10mm velocities.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by CabinetGoat View Post
    For TENmm and 200 gr XTP's: do you use those if packing the gun for big bear defense as well?
    Yes. I do like a good hard cast bullet as well, but at bear defense distance I dont think you will see a major difference in penetration. Theoretically, the bigger hole should stop the attack faster. I hope.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    Yes. I do like a good hard cast bullet as well, but at bear defense distance I dont think you will see a major difference in penetration. Theoretically, the bigger hole should stop the attack faster. I hope.
    At "bear defense distance", assuming that would be close, wouldn't a jacketed bullet be more likely to expand, or over-expand close, where the velocity is higher?

I guess, expansion would be good, if there was adequate penetration.

What kind of penetration have you gotten with jacketed bullets?

Would a Hornady XTP of a given weight, penetrate as well as a Hard Cast of the same weight?

In your opinion, are we putting too much emphasis on penetration, in our choice of projectiles for bear defense?

I use ONLY Cast bullets in my handguns for Bear Defense, 357 and 44 Mag. And, Heavier than normal weights. To err on the side of penetration, I guess.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast