Thread: Big Lake

Default Big Lake

Taking my daughter & her friend camping, boating & fishing on Big Lake. Any advice on "general" (don't expect you to give up your honey holes) areas to fish for trout & pike. See numerous islands & bays on the map.

Big Lake

North end of the lake in the weedy Lilly padded areas for pike. Lots of channels and back bays. You may have to row in and out because it's very weedy
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

+1 on what JKB said.

Summer is tough on big Lake. First you need to avoid all of the recreational jet skiers and such. We have done ok trolling in shallow water along the shore lines with a krockadile spoon, yo zuri pin minnows/rapalas and nightcrawlers on a spinner harness.

We do ok out out of the North Campground, but I think I'd launch out of the south site and head toward fish creek.

Big Lake is a nice spot but there are other places that will produce better for you from a fishing perspective.

In a van down by the river

I like to fish out of the south end, fish drop offs with gravel and you will find dollies and bows, as for the pike, I have yet to catch one out of there so your guess is as good as mine. However being a predatory fish I am sure you will find them in the weedy areas in the north side.