Thread: Ninilchik Au 2-8 area fisheries

Default Ninilchik Au 2-8 area fisheries

Long time reader...first time poster. I am going to be staying in Ninilchik from Aug 2-8 and have a few floats booked with a guide on Aug 5-6 but really want to learn about any available fishing opportunities in the Ninilchik area prior to my float trips. I will be bringing my own rods, etc. so no worries there and have already purchased my license online. I am very excited to try some bank fishing near Ninilchik but donít know where to start or what species will be available. Are their Hatchery Only Kings still available in the Ninilchik at that time? Really, I have never been to AK and am really trying to get as much information as possible. I am not a novice fisherman but being from Minnesota I donít get exposure to salmon/trout fishing. I have scoured the ADF&G websites for loads of great information but still have some questions. Any insights would be helpful. I have been reading and hearing from others that Swiftwater and Centennial/Rotary Park in Soldotna may be my best bet but what types/style of fishing should i prepare for?

1. I understand some of the rivers may still hold Reds at this time and the Silvers may be starting at that time but should I concentrate on northern rivers by the Kenai or southern rivers by Homer?
    2. Is the missing adipose fin clearly defined or is this something that might be missed by someone? I am not that concerned but just want to make sure.
    3. Is the Ninilchik river an easy river to access and walk/bank fish?
    4. What are some of the rivers in the Ninilchik area that are productive during this time of year?

What types of lures really are effective this time of year for bank fishing for salmon? Spinners, bobbers, floats and eggs

Not sure if the silvers are there yet and be sure to check the regs for closures. A rule of thumb is if no one else is fishing it might be closed. Or you are a lucky SOB . Try deep creek for silvers. Drive through the town past the legion hall on your left ( if you are going towards homer). There is a parking lot right next to the river also on the left. Park throw your hip boots on and walk up or down stream. Find a deep hole holding fish. I like to stay up stream and work my spinner just in front of the fish. I use a fly rod though so it takes some practice working a spinner. If you have a spinning real sneak down stream and throw in front of the school and. Bring it through them. Get a tide book. The fish come in with the tide and then move up stream. Don't worry too much about the kings if you see any the are more then likely turning red and will be easily identified. You can do the same thing on the ninilchik river too. Or head to soldotna for some reds (sockeye)

Oh yeah, for silvers use inline spinners, flesh flys or float roe(eggs). Only use roe in a very slow section of the river or at the mouth during high tide.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman19 View Post
    Oh yeah, for silvers use inline spinners, flesh flys or float roe(eggs). Only use roe in a very slow section of the river or at the mouth during high tide.
    Thanks for the post response. I think I'm an idiot but are my Vibrax and Kodiak Customs "inline spinners" I have some of those

Vibrax are, I believe Kodiak customs are as well, but I don't have any, so...

Yes. Just wanted to differentiate between a spinner used for bass fishing in the lower 48. But who know they might work too.

Fish seem to be early this year in all runs. I would not be surprised to get into some decent silvers on the Anchor, Deep Creek & Ninny. Get out at just before first light and drift some eggs under a bobber. Steelhead hole on the Anchor would be a good start.
    Then fish the tides at the mouths as mentioned. Spinners during the day are great. Not like bass fishing, slow reel just enough to get them blades moving. If you feel like you got stuck or your line goes slack, set the hook!!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Fish seem to be early this year in all runs. I would not be surprised to get into some decent silvers on the Anchor, Deep Creek & Ninny. Get out at just before first light and drift some eggs under a bobber. Steelhead hole on the Anchor would be a good start.
    Then fish the tides at the mouths as mentioned. Spinners during the day are great. Not like bass fishing, slow reel just enough to get them blades moving. If you feel like you got stuck or your line goes slack, set the hook!!
    Thanks guys! I figured as much on the spinner question. I ended up getting a few Humpys today and one Dolly (CPR) and one perfect Silver on Deep Creek. We went down to Homer and fished the "lagoon" and holy shiznat! What the heck is going on down there?! What a crazy situation. Fish friggin everywhere.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Glad you got into something today. The homer lagoon is a special place :/. Only takes a second it get the hang of it. I can't wait to get back up there and catch some fish.