Thread: DIDSON sonar

Default DIDSON sonar

Just curious if the DIDSON can differentiate between reds and pinks? I know it supposedly allows a much more detailed picture of fish swimming by but does it have enough resolution to tell the difference between the two with larger numbers of pinks hitting the river every day?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    Just curious if the DIDSON can differentiate between reds and pinks? I know it supposedly allows a much more detailed picture of fish swimming by but does it have enough resolution to tell the difference between the two with larger numbers of pinks hitting the river every day?
    It cannot tell the difference. The only criteria is large vs small fish at river mile 8. At the sockeye counter at river mile 19 they use a fishwheel to allocate the counts to species.

Nerka, what is your take on the sockeye run? I am hoping that hte 62,000 fish day isn't the peak, is the otf seeing numbers still in the inlet? I can't remember what the take out for harvest above the counter. I remember the late year, it was very unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Nerka, what is your take on the sockeye run? I am hoping that hte 62,000 fish day isn't the peak, is the otf seeing numbers still in the inlet? I can't remember what the take out for harvest above the counter. I remember the late year, it was very unusual.
    Usually the sport fishery takes about 200,000 to 400,000 above the sonar site depending on the number of fish in the river and how fast they are moving. The late year was 2006 will over 800,000 fish came in August. Below is ADF&G estimate put out today.

On July 25, 2014, Upper Cook Inlet (UCI) Commercial Fisheries staff estimated the total Kenai River sockeye salmon run to date to be 1.9 million fish. The final run to the Kenai River is projected to range from 2.7 million to 4.3 million sockeye salmon.

The entire UCI sockeye salmon run to date was estimated to be 4.0 million fish through July 24, with a final run projected to range from 4.8 million to 7.2 million fish.

With this inseason assessment, management of the Upper Subdistrict set gillnet and Central District drift gillnet commercial fisheries remain under the guidelines for run sizes of 2.3 million to 4.6 million Kenai River sockeye salmon. Based on this projected run size, the Kenai River sockeye salmon inriver goal remains at 1.0 million to 1.2 million fish.

Aaron Dupuis
    Fishery Biologist II
    43961 Kalifornsky Beach Road, Suite B
    Soldotna, AK 99669-8276
    Phone: 907-260-2916

I was just reading that press release as well. In river catch is probably on the low end of the range, but we still have a long way to go to get 1 million, especially if you take out 250,000 for the catch.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I was just reading that press release as well. In river catch is probably on the low end of the range, but we still have a long way to go to get 1 million, especially if you take out 250,000 for the catch.
    If the forecast is on the low end for Kenai and the inlet then the fish can go to escapement. If it is on the high end for Kenai then the escapement will go over the goal without fishing the set nets. I suspect this Kenai run is not as strong as forecasted and tends toward the low end. But my confidence in that prediction is not great.