Thread: Finally

Default Finally

I had fairly intensive shoulder surgery in March of 2013 due to old injuries that could have been fixed if I wasn't so stubborn and went to the doctor years ago. Since then I have not been able to shoot my bow, something I greatly missed. Last year I drew an archery tag for moose but as much as I tried and worked out I couldn't build strength and I couldn't shoot my bow, luckily it was an archery/muzzle loader hunt so I was able to take the muzzle loader course and hunt the tag. This year I drew the jber tag and have to do the proficiency shoot in August. I have still been working out through a lot of pain using rubber bands free weights and my kids as weights. I turned my bow down as much as possible and still couldn't get it drawn back.... Well this morning I was feeling good and grabbed the bow. Although not pretty I FINALLY!!! Drew it back twice and once more this afternoon. Man what a good feeling. I hope that I can draw it back enough times to pass the shoot on base, it might not be a text book draw but I hope I can at least hunt and give it a shot and not have to waste this tag.
    I have been worried that I would never shoot AGAIN, when that bow broke over and I anchored it the feeling was unbelievable. After a year and a half of pain, push-ups, rubber bands, popping, grinding, weights and worry of never again being able to watch the flight of my arrow... FINALLY!!!

Congrats! What weight do you have it shooting?

Honestly I have not checked it since I turned it down I have had the bow for about 15 years and can't remember the weight range on it but I used to shoot it all the way turned up and it was 68 lbs. I am guessing it is in the 55-60 lbs. I'd like to get a new bow but wasn't going to do it without knowing if I'd ever shoot again.

A couple of years ago I injured both shoulders. I was unable to touch my wallet/back pocket with either hand. Right shoulder got to the point it became frozen. Long story short, when I was where you seem to be, I joined a gym, found a weight and pulley system that was adjustable, then started mimicking drawing my compound bow. I started at 5 pounds max in any direction. I slowly worked up the weights. Along with the stretching, I have about 95% range of motion and full strength. I hope you have as much relief as I have had! Keep up the work and you should get there.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I had fairly intensive shoulder surgery in March of 2013
    I don't understand.....didn't they have you on PT shortly after the surgery...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I don't understand.....didn't they have you on PT shortly after the surgery...???
    Nope.. It was quickly mentioned but with never having surgery before I figured that my job would have been pt enough. Well I'm not sure that was the right choice now

Nope.. It was quickly mentioned but with never having surgery before I figured that my job would have been pt enough. Well I'm not sure that was the right choice now
    Yeah, after my knee surgery I thought the same thing. AND, my mom-n-law after her knee replacement thought so as well.........she learned early on that she couldn't do it herself.

Truth is that pt actually helps strengthen muscles that you just can't do on your own..... at least when not knowing what muscles they are. Sorry to hear that they didn't have you right in to a pt plan. But very glad to hear that you are doing better now.

Thank God you can still shoulder your scattergun...!!!........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

You may want to check with the Base F&G guys as I know a couple years ago there was a lady that drew JBER archery and was having/or had back surgery and they let her use a cross bow on her hunt.

Contacted the jber guy today and asked what is required to pass the shooting portion and it is 5 shots at 27yds one standing one sitting or kneeling and your choice for the other three. Must be able to hit the kill zone on the moose target 3 of 5 times to pass.
    Today I was able to shoot three consecutive times and 2 more times with about 15 minutes between shots... Good shots but cant shoot fast hopefully there is no time limit. Biggest problem is I look like I have cerebal palsy trying to draw.

PT is critical to recovery from shoulder surgery. It is also something that you will have to do for the rest of your life. You can google shoulder exercises and find the good ones. It is a must.

Contacted the jber guy today and asked what is required to pass the shooting portion and it is 5 shots at 27yds one standing one sitting or kneeling and your choice for the other three. Must be able to hit the kill zone on the moose target 3 of 5 times to pass.
    Today I was able to shoot three consecutive times and 2 more times with about 15 minutes between shots... Good shots but cant shoot fast hopefully there is no time limit. Biggest problem is I look like I have cerebal palsy trying to draw.
    Tony,

I'm just going to throw this out there...Keep in mind that there is a "Methods & Means Exemption" form that can be filled out through the ADF&G for cross bow. I know a lot of people do not advocate the use of this method for taking game (me being one of those) but there are always exceptions i.e. a legitimate disability preventing a safe draw at the legal draw weight for the specific targeted game. I'd hate to hear about anyone further injuring themselves trying to force themselves through the pain. At the same time, I hate to see a permit go to waste

Also, I know that the certification through F&G is very understanding when it comes to diasbilities. If someone just had knee surgery, they don't necessarily require them to take the kneeling shot. They're certainely not going to give you a time limit.

Best of luck to you and hopefully you're feeling better soon!

Josh

One other thing to consider before you purchase a new bow is to look at the type of cam you are using. If you have a "hard" cam it will be much more difficult to draw compared to a soft or medium cam. You will trade off some speed, but it will be much easier on your body. The newer bows are much faster even with "rounder" cams. Id hate to see you trying to grunt over a speed cam and tear everything up.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Each day is getting better and I am finally seeing progress although it's taken a lot longer than I thought it would. A new bow sounds awsome right now but until I know I can shoot it like I want to be able to I won't spend the money. I am shooting a hoyt havoctec right now and it has served me well in the past. I know if I can get over this hump I'll hopefully be in the clear and will be able to post a lot more on the archery forum. Thanks for the advice given and I am looking forward to this hunt coming up. I can't wait to arrow another moose