Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the blueberry report?

Default What's the blueberry report?

I heard today that there are blueberries around Flattop. What's the report? Anybody picking yet?

I have been eating them for three weeks. There are a lot of them, they are slightly tart, but delicious.......and free.

Lots and lots of ripe blueberries on the trails above Anchorage. Best year in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    Lots and lots of ripe blueberries on the trails above Anchorage. Best year in a long time.
    Not to horn in on your best spots, but we have been here 4 years and have yet to go berry picking. Gotta do everything once to get the experience right? Any suggestions on where to go locally? We have planned a trip up to Hatchers Pass to pick but not sure if they are ripe yet! Appreciate the insights.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Not to horn in on your best spots, but we have been here 4 years and have yet to go berry picking. Gotta do everything once to get the experience right? Any suggestions on where to go locally? We have planned a trip up to Hatchers Pass to pick but not sure if they are ripe yet! Appreciate the insights.
    Got a report from a friend just today that the berries up on Hatcher pass are ripe.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks a million! Will save a few gallons of gas, though the views are worth the trip!

I was eating them off the bush out in PWS two weeks ago.. some ripe, some still green.. but the rip ones were wonderful.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Smile Any good picking spots near or north of Sutton?

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Got a report from a friend just today that the berries up on Hatcher pass are ripe.
    We're still new to the area and still looking for good blueberry picking sites up along the Glenn north of Palmer. I have been told about picking near Bonnie Lake (mi 83) and around Purinton Creek (mi 90.7). Can anyone comment on the location and access routes for these or other picking spots?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sterlink View Post
    We're still new to the area and still looking for good blueberry picking sites up along the Glenn north of Palmer. I have been told about picking near Bonnie Lake (mi 83) and around Purinton Creek (mi 90.7). Can anyone comment on the location and access routes for these or other picking spots?

Thanks!
    Bonnie Lake is marked along the Glenn Hwy, Purinton is accessed from the trailhead parking lot/pull out for both Purinton and Boulder Creeks. I'll be heading further east up the Glenn this weekend and let you know what I find.

Lots around Eureka, Powerline Pass and Paxson. Some are overripe, many are still green. Denali Hwy sucked for berries of all kinds.

We gathered just over three gallons in hatchers pass area this evening. Good stuff.

Thanks Fin. Think we'll make a run tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post
    We gathered just over three gallons in hatchers pass area this evening. Good stuff.
    This is the fun kind of grocery shopping...

Great pics, my favorite way to shop as well, anyone have a blueberry hole that could do with a few less bears??

anyone have a blueberry hole that could do with a few less bears

I was wondering the same thing or is it still a little early for the bears to move into the berries?

I'm new on the peninsula, does anyone have any suggestions on a area to checkout?
    I have a pregnant wife at home that needs to get out. Picking she may enjoy!

Lots of blueberries around the Eireka area this weekend. Still plenty of green ones also, so more to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    I'm new on the peninsula, does anyone have any suggestions on a area to checkout?
    I have a pregnant wife at home that needs to get out. Picking she may enjoy!
    My best advice for you is to get out scouting. Put on your hiking boots and grab your berry book.
    Use the book to define the habitat your preffered berry likes and start hiking and looking.
    I have found berries from cooper landing to Seldovia and many points in between.
    I found them while doing other things (mainly hunting,fishing, and camping) and remembered where they were at.
    Then the following season I went back and picked them.
    To give up a spot is to loose it forever as once the berries are picked they are gone.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    My best advice for you is to get out scouting. Put on your hiking boots and grab your berry book.
    Use the book to define the habitat your preffered berry likes and start hiking and looking.
    I have found berries from cooper landing to Seldovia and many points in between.
    I found them while doing other things (mainly hunting,fishing, and camping) and remembered where they were at.
    Then the following season I went back and picked them.
    To give up a spot is to loose it forever as once the berries are picked they are gone.
    I hear you kasilof,
    I only have a few days off and was just looking for a quick spot to take the wife for a afternoon. Haha. She wouldn't appreciate a fruitless tromp through the woods in her state lol

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    I hear you kasilof,
    I only have a few days off and was just looking for a quick spot to take the wife for a afternoon. Haha. She wouldn't appreciate a fruitless tromp through the woods in her state lol
    Most of the time I found the berry patches when out by myself and only once a promising patch was identified did I take my wife there.
    I know we all just want to go out find a patch right away and start picking but that isn't reality.
    It has taken me over 15 years to find all the patches I know about. Some are small producing only a cup or two some years and some are huge producing 8+ gallons of berries on an average year.
    The big patches are ones my family loves including my parents and my mother in law. But thats as far as those berry patches locations go.
    Some spots require a good hike,others a good 4 wheel drive or ATV,and others a good boat.
    Given time is spent in the outdoors over the years you will find some patches of your own.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast