Thread: Bears Again

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Bears Again

My wife just informed me that there was another bear attack in the Anchorage area.

I am not clear at this point, just how this is my fault. I don't even live there anymore.

We are not fools, who pack around bear medicine, and/or keep it handy. But for those who claim to enjoy living in close proximity of these vicious predators, I hope they are thrilled.

Get outcher guns boys, and girls. Clean'em, Oil'em, Familiarize with'em, shoot'em, cuz you might need'em.

Don't keep any candybars in your pocket lest you be cited for baiting them.

Stay off the trails, and let your dawgies walk themselves. Too many skeeters anyway.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

According to the article it was on a road in ER by a handgun. I would be curious as to what caliber/gun it was. Anybody hear anything about it?
    http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/sow-sh...r-man/27137910

.44 Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    .44 Magnum
    Thanks! Just curious

Lucky he was a civilian the military man that got chewed up training was not trusted to have a weapon or even bear spay.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Lucky he was a civilian the military man that got chewed up training was not trusted to have a weapon or even bear spay.
    Ain't that the dang truth!

Some people in the comments of the KTUU article had the nerve to defend that bear as if the guy did something wrong....insanity. I can't fathom why people think an animals life is more important than a humans.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

.44 Magnum
    How did you find this out? I'd be interested in finding out his set up, what type of holster, bullet grain size, did it knock the bear back immediatly? Rare to hear about a guy that got bit AND was able to deploy a weapon, usually its one or the other - got mauled, or shot before it got to ya.

ADN . com listed the handgun as a .44 mag, no other details on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    Ain't that the dang truth!

Some people in the comments of the KTUU article had the nerve to defend that bear as if the guy did something wrong....insanity. I can't fathom why people think an animals life is more important than a humans.
    They certainly try to leave the impression that it's a terrible shame the bear had to die, assuming it did, and that the bear is never to be blamed for doing what bears will do. The latter is true, of course, but it is not germane beyond the simple fact.

What bugs me, is they always interview ADF&G who are always so very PC, concerning bears, which as you've already said, exhibit's more concern for the bears than people.

As I understand what was said, the bear was biting him on one of his hands whilst he got his gun and shot the bear with the other hand, and the bear wasn't a large one.

Yet, he didn't go to the hospital. Go Figger. I would think any bear bite would be serious, so maybe the bear bit him at virtually the same time it was shot. ???

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty:
    KTUU reported that he refused an ambulance, but that his wife drove him to the hospital. Can't imagine getting bitten and not needing to get the wound looked at- at least to be irrigated well and get some antibiotics. Sometimes infections are due to what the animal had in its mouth/teeth and not from the actual bite itself.

I love to watch bears but the whole reason for carrying when out an about is exactly what he experienced. I am glad he was able to draw and shoot before a dog or he got killed.

I have meet a lot of humans who's life is worth less than a wild animals to me. In fact I know some scumbags that it would please the poop out me if they got mauled by a grizzly.

I can't fathom why people think an animals life is more important than a humans.

Do you'all know the price of an ambulance ride.......as compared to your family vehicle........???

I have meet a lot of humans who's life is worth less than a wild animals to me.
    I have as well, but I tend to give someone I have never met or know nothing about the benefit of the doubt

I agree............
    I have as well, but I tend to give someone I have never met or know nothing about the benefit of the doubt

Do you'all know the price of an ambulance ride.......as compared to your family vehicle........???
    I've had just one but back in '08 a trip from the Cartee softball complex to Providence cost $1700. I was in the ambulance for 8, maybe 9 minutes. I refused to have IV painkillers otherwise it would've been another grand or so.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    I've had just one but back in '08 a trip from the Cartee softball complex to Providence cost $1700. I was in the ambulance for 8, maybe 9 minutes. I refused to have IV painkillers otherwise it would've been another grand or so.
    Unfortunately just like the hospitals somebody has to help pay for the drunks and other folks who have little to no coverage.

I thought the reported weight of the sow was surprising. Estimated at 200 pounds.

Isn't that a very small Brown bear?
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Smitty:
    KTUU reported that he refused an ambulance, but that his wife drove him to the hospital. Can't imagine getting bitten and not needing to get the wound looked at- at least to be irrigated well and get some antibiotics. Sometimes infections are due to what the animal had in its mouth/teeth and not from the actual bite itself.

I love to watch bears but the whole reason for carrying when out an about is exactly what he experienced. I am glad he was able to draw and shoot before a dog or he got killed.
    I sit corrected, on the hospital.

Yep, I'd say he was lucky, to have the gun, and to be able to use it effectively. These things can go either way.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    I thought the reported weight of the sow was surprising. Estimated at 200 pounds.

Isn't that a very small Brown bear?
    Sounds like it was a Runt, alright.

Little Bear Syndrome?? Do ya think?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.