Thread: NEW Kenai and kasilof King EO's

Default NEW Kenai and kasilof King EO's

Guess I'm traveling 3000 miles to fish for pinks.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

How convenient...the day AFTER set nets worked the beaches this goes into effect. Now tell me there isn't some BS management going on at ADF&G. This should have been done the beginning of the week. No way the king escapement numbers justified letting the set nets fish.

They took 250 kings for 67.5K reds….. about one for every 248 sockeye.

A normal king run would have seen 800-1200 kings taken.

Seems neither species is present in historic abundance at this time
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Fishing them yesterday was no big deal. They caught 272 kings, and some of those were Kasilof kings. For many of them that was their third day of fishing all season, and now they are done. I have no connection with the set netters other than living in this community together for the last thirty years or so. They have sat on the beach and watched a half a million reds swim by the last several years, only to be skooped up by the dip netters , 85+% leaving our local area. They seem to be taking the brunt of the lack of kings, but the guides were the ones that killed the golden goose. Just a week ago, when catch and keep was still allowed, the majority of the guide fleet was bonking every king caught . Now they are still making money, flooding all of my favorite red spots with loads of clients willing to fish for reds. I just had a recent Kenai River Guide Academy graduate drop his anchor and five clients ten feet from my stern and think nothing of it. Welcome to the new norm. For everyone, I hope we see the kings make a miraculous recovery, but it will take all of us working together to find solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by akcarv View Post
    Fishing them yesterday was no big deal. They caught 272 kings, and some of those were Kasilof kings. For many of them that was their third day of fishing all season, and now they are done. I have no connection with the set netters other than living in this community together for the last thirty years or so. They have sat on the beach and watched a half a million reds swim by the last several years, only to be skooped up by the dip netters , 85+% leaving our local area. They seem to be taking the brunt of the lack of kings, but the guides were the ones that killed the golden goose. Just a week ago, when catch and keep was still allowed, the majority of the guide fleet was bonking every king caught . Now they are still making money, flooding all of my favorite red spots with loads of clients willing to fish for reds. I just had a recent Kenai River Guide Academy graduate drop his anchor and five clients ten feet from my stern and think nothing of it. Welcome to the new norm. For everyone, I hope we see the kings make a miraculous recovery, but it will take all of us working together to find solutions.
    Couldn't have said it better myself, letting the set nets fish one more day isn't going to make or break the future of the King run. I certainly won't mind a few more reds in river though!

Close the whole state to king fishing for five years, then get back to me.

This game of "fishing them to the brink" is dangerous. If anything goes wrong, they'll be gone forever.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Rough year, but the kings will make it to 15 for sure. They would make it even with the minuscule C&R mortality rate but, politics says, shut down those ESSNs. My opinion anyway.

Getting a king out of the Kasilof with out any kind of bait is tough duty for any one fishing with a rod & reel. Especially when F&G bows to the big net crowd and lets them do a terminal fishery at the Kasilof. The "salmon industry" makes the rules.