Thread: Pinks along the Parks Hwy Creeks?

Default Pinks along the Parks Hwy Creeks?

My dad will be coming up to Alaska this weekend for his first visit since I moved to Fairbanks a few years ago. We will be heading to Seward to try for some halibut, but on the way down I thought it would be fun to try and get him hooked into a salmon with his fly rod. Neither of us have experience fly fishing for salmon (grew up fishing in small creeks where a 12" bow was a lunker). Sounds like we will be a little early for a good chance at silvers, but maybe right in time for pinks? We were down in SE a few summers ago and had a blast catching 3-5lb pinks on spinning gear, so getting into some with fly rods would be a real kick. I was thinking we could try some of the easy access creeks in the Su drainage (Sheep, Montana, Willow, etc). Will these places be worth stopping at on our way down south? Any advice on what to expect, current river conditions, flies to use, or good places to stop and throw a fly for a couple hours would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, and happy fishing!

The rivers you listed will have good pink fishing this weekend and I'd focus near and around the mouths. Egg sucking leaches in a variety of colors, but especially purple. Really anything bright will likely entice pink and chum to strike. You may find some silvers. Also consider the Little Su up or downstream of Burma Landing. Good luck!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Plenty of Pinks rolling Chums are hanging out deep on bottom in the Parks today. I saw one silver caught today and one lost too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140720_095926.jpg  
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

The water will be boiling with pinks at the mouth of Troublesome Creek which is a 15 minute walk from bridge.

After Anchorage, on the trip down, don't forget: Bird Creek, Glaicer Creek (just past the Tesoro at Gridwood), Ingram Creek (at the end of Turnigan Arm). All get good runs of pinks.

Thanks for all the advice! Sounds like we shouldnt have too much trouble finding some entertainment on our trip South. Are these spots generally pretty crowded this time of year, or are the majority of folks waiting for the silvers to get in?
    I'll be sure to post some pictures and a report when I get back

If you're making the drive on a week day, pressure will be less than on Fri-Mon. Other than that - expect the mouths of Willow, Montana & Bird to be crowded - both have campgrounds/large parking area adjacent. I've had good luck at Sheep Creek - at the bridge - when pinks were in. Any of the bridges may be crowded - easy access always means crowds.
    A lot will depend on water levels/clairity too. Current rain is gonna bring up/muddy a lot of water for this weekend, I'm afraid.

Saw only 10ppl at montana today caught tons of pinks and chums no silvers for me. Bird creek was full of pinks at high tide you could sight fish them. they were moving around in groups. maybe 30ppl at Bird plenty of room to fish i was fly fishing with out disturbing anyone nearby
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by CarnivoraCounter View Post
    Thanks for all the advice! Sounds like we shouldnt have too much trouble finding some entertainment on our trip South. Are these spots generally pretty crowded this time of year, or are the majority of folks waiting for the silvers to get in?
    I'll be sure to post some pictures and a report when I get back
    Troublesome will likely have zero people on a weekday and maybe 3 on a weekend. It's a little too far from Anchorage or Fairbanks, making it perfect.

Any type of pink wet fly will work great for pink salmon. For chums, use a wet fly but use fluorescent green color. You should have no trouble at all getting them to bite.

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Troublesome will likely have zero people on a weekday and maybe 3 on a weekend. It's a little too far from Anchorage or Fairbanks, making it perfect.
    Not to mention the amount of 4 legged friends wandering around!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Not to mention the amount of 4 legged friends wandering around!
    I've walked to the mouth each fall for the last 3-4 years and not seen a bear or track. I know they are there, just sayin' it's not as thick as some other places.

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    I've walked to the mouth each fall for the last 3-4 years and not seen a bear or track. I know they are there, just sayin' it's not as thick as some other places.
    It's not as bad as other places further north…….but every time I fish there I see signs if not a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    It's not as bad as other places further north…….but every time I fish there I see signs if not a bear.
    Never went to the mouth of Montana in Sept that I didn't see tracks or bears.

We ended up heading to the mouth of troublesome. No bears or sign and only one other guy at the parking area. Some small school of pinks were in and we had a blast. Caught em on fly and spinning gear and they were hitting anything pink. That mud is quick to suck you in!

Quote Originally Posted by CarnivoraCounter View Post
    We ended up heading to the mouth of troublesome. No bears or sign and only one other guy at the parking area. Some small school of pinks were in and we had a blast. Caught em on fly and spinning gear and they were hitting anything pink. That mud is quick to suck you in!
    Glad you liked it!