Thread: Access points for dm408 cow hunt in the valley

Default Access points for dm408 cow hunt in the valley

I've been looking at the maps on the adfg site and it looks like I can access the area off of maud road and a few more places I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience hunting the area.

That hunt and its access problems comes up for discussion here every year, with some good details provided. The majority of the easy to get to land is owned by the Chickaloon village corporation. There are a couple of ATV trails off of Wolverine road area that go through the village lands into the state lands up in the hills that you can legally use.

Most of the land along Maud road extension is 'controlled ' by Eklutna Corp'. One can access some of the area along the 'Saw Mill' trail that goes over to Mc Roberts creek. If one had access to a boat, that opens up a whole different area. There are launch areas at both Mudd Lake and Jim lake. Your best bet is to get out there and look the area over 'before' the season opens. Also keep in mind that that can be a lot of other hunters out that direction, since it is so easy to access.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Most of the land along Maud road extension is 'controlled ' by Eklutna Corp'. One can access some of the area along the 'Saw Mill' trail that goes over to Mc Roberts creek. If one had access to a boat, that opens up a whole different area. There are launch areas at both Mudd Lake and Jim lake. Your best bet is to get out there and look the area over 'before' the season opens. Also keep in mind that that can be a lot of other hunters out that direction, since it is so easy to access.
    His hunt area is limited to the lands between the Matanuska river and McRobperts creek. Just less than 20 feet of Maud road and he is out side his hunt area for his permit. He is pretty much hosed for land to hunt unless he is a native or knows one of the land owners out Clark Wolverine road. If had had permit DM410 then Mud lake or Jim Lake/creek would be an option with a boat, but he has one of the worst cow permits there is to win if you are not a land owner in the area.

If you have a raft there are several easy access points to float the matanuska river, and a lot of relatively lightly hunted terrain over there. Mostly a steep hike up, but your pack out should be almost entirely downhill! Or you could nab one right along the river.

OK, I stand corrected, but there are other options. If one does not mind a 'little' leg/work-packing' there is the McRoberts creek trail that takes off from the top of Smith Road. One might also check with the land owners along Wolverine Road to see if they might allow you to hunt on their property. It is amazing what a little 'leg' work will provide.
    Good luck!

My daughter also has this hunt so I will be looking for something easy. Will enjoy being in the woods with her but would still like to have a little success. I plan to take her off the Wolverine but any suggestions anyone has to take a young girl on her first big game hunt would be much appreciated.

Winkhunk, sent ya a pm. Good luck, hope your daughter gets her first moose!

Traveled the Clark Wolverine Jeep trail this weekend and it was a doosie in a few spots. Didn't look like much hunting grounds along the way as the trail was nice but very high brush on either side of it and banks in some areas to the left and right. One muddy spot that took us a bit to get out of as well but it made for a good break. I went all the way back to the air strip that just appeared out of no where and seemed like for no reason. Nice fireweed fields back there and run down cabins. Went just past the runway to where the trail looked to cut right and go up hill. We turned around at the point and that is when we met a land owner. He wanted to sternly tell me to stay on the trail and he owned 450 acres back here and it isn't for me to use. I was OK with that and just shook my head and agreed. Funny thing was just behind him was a Ford Ranger coming down the tight trail. Not sure how it got back there but it had plates, not sure from when, but looked in good running condition. It will take some work if someone hunts back there, with all posted signs. Some areas do and some don't have signs but it looks like some rough trails that spur left and right from the main trail. Anyone been beyond the airstrip and up the hill?

I have this tag as well but might have the opportunity to hunt on private land. I checked the matsu parcel viewer and it looks like quite a large section of land along the trail right before the airstrip is state land. go here to check land ownership.
    http://maps.matsugov.us/webmaps/
    make sure to turn the aerial imagery layer on to get a better idea of where an what you're looking at.

Default Best plan of attack

I just drew this tag for the 2015 season. I am looking for input on what the best plan of attack for this area is? Fly in, Float the river in, ATV etc. I am not afraid to put in the leg work but i don't want to end up on private land etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any input for this? I am willing to trade meat for access if anyone knows a land owner.

If you end up taking the Clark-Wolverine jeep trail be careful going back their stay on the trail some odd folks back their. Don't know how true but I have heard of folks getting shot again could be just good ol stories. The last cabin/home you will hit is by a big ol mud pit that guy is not very nice but I have heard if you take a case of beer If I remember right they like PBR or was it Miller light they will be a lot more hospitable towards you. But the few times I been out their I never seen any moose plenty of tracks though. But their are no good glassing spots its very thick back their. Now if you hump it up lazy mtn and glass the back side (once you get to the 2nd picnic table) drop off the backside you will see the trail sit their and glass you will see moose but man the pack out is going to suck ass. Their is a good trail but man your looking at a minimum 3-4 miles back to the truck. I would talk to some of those hayfarmers back their about hunting on their land as well.