Thread: RL 22 and the 30-06

Default RL 22 and the 30-06

What are your thoughts and feelings when it comes to reloading with RL 22 and the 30-06? I am working on some 220 grain hornady loads. I also noticed a load from Nosler for 57 grains using their 220 partition. Anyone ever try that load?

Thanks for your insights....

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    What are your thoughts and feelings when it comes to reloading with RL 22 and the 30-06? I am working on some 220 grain hornady loads. I also noticed a load from Nosler for 57 grains using their 220 partition. Anyone ever try that load?

Thanks for your insights....

Ron
    I've used RL-22 in the '06 a good bit and for the heavier bullets it is very good. I haven't tried the load in question, but I'd think that it should excel in that application.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've used RL-22 in the '06 a good bit and for the heavier bullets it is very good. I haven't tried the load in question, but I'd think that it should excel in that application.
    Thank you. Now the hard part is finding the powder
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

RL22 is great for heavy loads. I use it both in my 300WM and a 6.5x55. Should be perfect for a 220 Gr 30-06.

R22 is really designed to excel in a cartridge with a slightly higher expansion ratio than the 06.

Also with a typical 22" barrel, you probably won't achieve maximum velocity with R22.

That being said, it is an OK choice for what you have in mind.

You also have to keep in mind that R22 over a 220 grain bullet will likely challenge the 06 case capacity with say a 3.34 OL...much less deeper seating.This means a compressed load or even possibly bullet creep over time.

Crunching slow burning powder is never desireable...and may have consequences.

Personally, I'd try R17 or H4350 SC too...chances are you'll like the results better.

I use RL-22 quite a bit in both my 06's. Accuracy load in one rifle is 61 gr of RL-22 behind a 180 partition and accuracy load in another is 58 gr behind a 220 partition. Cases are full, I have had no issues with RL-22 have been able to snag about twenty extra pounds of it in the last couple months and it'd be the first powder I grab for the heavier bullets in the 06.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Scar View Post
    I use RL-22 quite a bit in both my 06's. Accuracy load in one rifle is 61 gr of RL-22 behind a 180 partition and accuracy load in another is 58 gr behind a 220 partition. Cases are full, I have had no issues with RL-22 have been able to snag about twenty extra pounds of it in the last couple months and it'd be the first powder I grab for the heavier bullets in the 06.
    Is your 58 grain load compressed?
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

A guide I met in the Brooks loved RL22 and the 200 gr. Nosler Partition in his pre-64 for bear.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I know the pic is sideways, I couldn't figure out how to rotate it, but this is a 5 shot group I used with my 06 with 180 partitions. It really surprised me, because I generally haven't been able to get partitions to group this tight with any of my rifles. I was using 62 gr of RL 22 and a WLR primer. I think I've got me a winner here!

IMG_0762[1].jpg
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Ron,
    yes the 58 grain load is slightly compressed.

Just tried R-22 with 180gr Accubonds and it wasn't as accurate as h4350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has to be accurate enough for moose/bear at 100 yards. This is just in case I don't hunt with the 375. This is a 200 round run.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Thank you. Now the hard part is finding the powder
    Ron, not sure why but locally R22 has been on the shelves for months now... Scheels store has had quite a bit, let me know if you can't find any and maybe I can help you out?
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Ron, not sure why but locally R22 has been on the shelves for months now... Scheels store has had quite a bit, let me know if you can't find any and maybe I can help you out?
    Randy
    Thanks. I will be out and about this week. I will let you know.

If memory serves me correctly anything over 56 grains in 06 is going to be compressed.

That sounds about right.Compressing...seriously compressing powder ...means breaking and crunching kernels or seriously compacting ball powders.

Crunching kernels MAY alter the burn rate as not all powders have the same deterrent saturated throughout the entire kernel.

Without access to a complete ballistics lab, there is no way to know for sure what the effect is in this process.

But while loading density of 95 to around 100% usually produces close to optimum performance, in this day and age, why take a chance on seriously compressed loads? Just step down a bit to a slightly faster burn rate and truly tailor the load accordingly.

7STW