Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do gloves help you catch more fish?

Default Do gloves help you catch more fish?

Greetings,
    I noticed in the current issue of "Fish Alaska" magazine that Scott Haugen claims you'll catch more fish if you wear rubber/nitrile gloves. What does everybody think?
    Thanks,
    Gary

what is the basis for this claim? You catch more fish because . . . ???

Default Odors!!!

"The gloves inhibit human odor from being transferred to gear" (quote from article).
    Gary

Is this based on a contest, two contests, a series of tests, or, his personal belief?

I don't rub my herring under my armpit, though, for the sake of science, I might agree to be that extreme.

I don't think fish are repelled by odors as much as they are attracted to them, and, as far as Alaska gamefish are concerned, by movement.

But, I'm willing to be wrong. Prove it, and I'll empty the shelves at the local mercantile.

Default to glove or not to glove

I realize that this is a bit anecdotal, but I've been both ways and caught plenty of fish both ways, using both sardines and eggs.

There certainly was a time when gloves were in vogue and most everyone was using them. Many for different reasons... some bought into the scent theory, other because their hands didn't turn pink...

Not using gloves, your hands will smell like the bait after setting up the first rig.

There really are very few guides on the Kenai that are still using gloves.... so, like SoggyMountain, I am a bit skeptical in the whole scent theory...

I have seen some very interesting things used as scent and seems to work like garlic....

So, make me a believer and I'll get to the stores before SoggyMountain...

Default Ohhh, next HOT MARKETING ITEM!!!

SCENTAWAY FISHING GLOVES! THAT'S RIGHT, NOW YOU CAN CATCH MORE FISH! WITH MY NEW SCENTAWAY FISHING GLOVES! Fish, scientifically proven, can smell, so why take chances!?RIGHT? BUY YOUR SCENTAWAY GLOVES TODAY! ONLY $19.95, BUT WAIT, THAT'S NOT ALL! WITH YOUR PURCHASE OF YOUR 1 PAIR OF SCENTAWAY GLOVES YOU GET THIS FANTASTIC FILLET KNIFE! IT DICES, SLICES & FILLETS, MIXES YOUR MARGARITA! PAYS YOUR BILLS ONLINE, & IT CAN EVEN MAKE YOU $1000's OF DOLLARS MONTH JUST BUY HAVING IT WITH YOU! DON'T DELAY, ACT NOW! OPERATORS ARE STANDING BUY!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

I can see NOT using things like petrochemicals on your lures (for example - head cement on flys). But overall, the palms and fingers of the hands have very little scent & oils on them.

Goalie, I was ready to make the purchase, but didn't see where I could cut a can, tree, and julianne my fries. So, I'll head back to eBay I guess.

GREAT POST by the way!

I think the whole scent blocking thing is overblown... exceedingly few of us (dare I say NONE) who use these gloves are effectively blocking the transfer of human odor.

Here's why:

Think about human odor the same way as human germs. When I go to the operating room, I am gloved and gowned in a highly choreographed ritual that ensures NONE of my germs are transferred to the patient. Once I am covered, I may not touch anything in the room that is not germ-free, including non-sterile equipment, fixtures, other people, even myself (except where I am gowned and gloved). I may not raise my hand to my mouth to cough, wipe the sweat from my brow, pick my nose, stroke my hair, adjust my seat, or readjust the inseam of my pants at the crotch, etc. Someone else in the room ( who is non-sterile) must do these things for me... okay, maybe not the crotch part.

Now go thru that last paragraph, and susbstitute "odor" for "germ" everywhere I wrote it. You will quickly realize that you are lacing the outer surface of your gloves with human odor with almost every move you make on a typical fishing trip. Even before you start, most every one of you unknowingly reaches into that box or baggie of gloves with your odor-laden hands, lacing the entire supply with your special scent before you have even removed a single glove to cover that stinky hand. Get the point?

It's kind of like food service workers being required to wear gloves to keep your food clean. Yeah right... while they wipe the counters, change the trash, handle your dirty cash, stroke their hair, wipe their brow, scratch their ??? with the same filthy glove that doesn't get changed until they go to the bathroom.... at which point they wash their hands, and don a new pair of gloves. The only thing being protected by that glove is the worker's hand.... everything else is as filthy as if the glove were not being worn at all.

I wear gloves while fishing for the same reason... to protect my hands from the constant wetness of handling bait, fish slime while releasing fish, slime and guts while cleaning fish, and the incessant washing and rinsing of hands all day long. Once my hands get waterlogged, they undergo a nasty change. They puff up, my fingerprints flatten out smoothe to the point of being non-existent, and the integrity of the skin layers starts to break down. My hands start to de-laminate in layers, kind of like an onion. If I let it get bad enough, like I recently did with two weeks of non-stop fishing in Alaska, I will slough 5 or 6 layers of skin over the next 1-2 weeks. I am currently on layer number four this time around. The sensation in my fingertips goes to pot, and I hardly have enough grip on them to turn a page... and no, licking my fingertips is not an option while examining patients.

The hard part is having the discipline to start my fishing day with gloves on. Once I get a hand dirty, I wash it in the river, but now it's too wet to put on a glove. Before I know it, half the day is gone, and I have trashed my hands several times over.

The main problem with latex gloves is they do not breathe. On a hot day, putting on gloves causes your hands to sweat profusely, even with minimal activity. keeping a glove on a sweaty hand is just as bad if not worse than repeatedly letting it get wet without a glove.... same result, water-logged hand! So on a hot day, plan on burning thru many pairs of gloves, allowing your hands to come up for air to dry out between "latex saunas" every hour or so.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Good post Physician.... Good post.

Unlike you, my fishing is not in marathons. It is little windows of time. And, to be honest, I like to think that I lost a few onion layers in the process. The same ways my knees should ache when a bust a deer. These are reminders to me that there was a human investment.

I knew an ice fisherman who obviously swore by scent management, but not by his words but by his actions. In his ice hut, at the beginning of each day, he would grab a handful of roe and cover every square millimeter of the outside of his hands with this nasty substance. The scene was almost like the average person covering their hands with disinfectant soap while washer their hands.

Even in the same hut, in the same dark and deep fishing hole, he would run circles around every other ice fisherman in the hut with him on a consistent basis. I am sure skill played a part in it too, but the platform this guy was on behooved anything I have ever seen. Maybe reducing the human scent had something to do with it?

I don't know, and I don't even bother.

Default I watched a program

I watched a program on scent one time, it was like 20 years ago at a dam where fish were coming over the fish ladder, regularly. A guy put a human hand in the water and it was a few minutes before more fish went up. Then after they resumed they put a dog paw in the water and it was a longer time that the human's. That's all I really remember about it, but I'm still not wearing gloves.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default think about it

I agree that gloves are a waste of time and not practical, at least for me. But salmon smell in parts per billion and you are kidding yourself if you don't think smells make a difference. More "bad smells" are picked up by your lures or bait than you think. Just setting it down on the side rails or floor of your boat picks up all kinds of odors. Bait in the fridge next to the leftovers also picks up smells. They use that nose to make a living. They accept and reject based in part on what they smell. Parts per billion. Thats a nose we cannot relate to because ours is so inferior. Works on the flip side too with "good smells". Ever over salted a steak? How many bites did ya take? All I know for sure is that my production went way up when I started to consider the parts per billion thing. Gloves..... nah. Aware of where my lure has been? You Bet!!

Out on the ocean I wear glacier gloves almost all the time for protection and warmth. I don't know if the halibut care or not about smells.
    I rarely wear them in fresh water.
    Now what ?

I almost never use gloves. I always keep a finger on the line to feel what is going on with whatever is at the other end. Even when Ice fishing I prefer to take my gloves off and hand-line.

Default Any Venture Capitalists out there???

I need to submit my proposal for my Scentaway(copyrighted) gloves, I've already got the Marketing Idea down, now all I need are a few hundred G's to start my snookering(er I mean, Marketing) to get the ball rolling. Anyone else here want to join my corporation, I'll need some officers, a CFO, & some accountants please...JOIN ME NOW OR LOOSE OUT!

I will join the FLW tour and you can be my sponser. Please let me know when my $30k bass boat is ready for pickup. I will probably need an RV as well.

i've actually done some experiments of my own regarding this topic (non-scientific) and found that there was little to no difference between wearing gloves and not wearing gloves. i kept track of bites/hour using gloves vs. not using gloves. the results were certainly biased based on the super tuesday effect, how the fishing was in general, among other factors. i made a little effort to even out these type of factors, but it certainly wasn't perfect. i lost the data when i got rid of my last computer, but i remember that i actually got more bites/hour (barely) without using gloves. i haven't used gloves in about 4-5 years now.
    I have a feeling the results may be different in the salt water, but who knows???
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Water_Gremlin and wildog have hit the real topic here. Whether human scent repells fish? I don't think so. Wild reminded me of a time I was hunting down south and came across a stream full of brown trout. My friends and I could grab them with our bare hands at will. Temperature had more effect on their behavior than scent or movement. Which is to say, before you could grab one, you had to let your hand cool off in the stream. It could be argued that at the same time, your scents had been washed away.... but I don't think so.

Water_Gremlin... I think your friend was onto something. While I do not believe our scent will scare fish away, I do believe that some smells attract them. I doubt latex fits that category, but we'll wait and see if Goalie's patented gloves have the extra bait scented center before passing final judgments. (Really not a bad idea by the way goalie). I know of several lures and jigs that accept scent. Why not your gloves? Count me in.

Wink

Doc you summed it up....

"I wear gloves while fishing for the same reason... to protect my hands from the constant wetness of handling bait, fish slime while releasing fish, slime and guts while cleaning fish, and the incessant washing and rinsing of hands all day long. Once my hands get waterlogged, they undergo a nasty change. They puff up, my fingerprints flatten out smoothe to the point of being non-existent, and the integrity of the skin layers starts to break down. My hands start to de-laminate in layers, kind of like an onion. If I let it get bad enough, like I recently did with two weeks of non-stop fishing in Alaska, I will slough 5 or 6 layers of skin over the next 1-2 weeks. I am currently on layer number four this time around. The sensation in my fingertips goes to pot, and I hardly have enough grip on them to turn a page..."

That's me in spades!! Gotta wear the glove to save myself 2 weeks of leprosy!!

C/22...................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast