Thread: Sheenjek River drop off

Default Sheenjek River drop off

Hello

I am doing a Sheenjek trip this Sept floating in rafts and wanted to know if anyone can give me other options for drop off that are higher up river than the area they call last lake? I would like to get farther up river since we will be doing a 2 week trip and will only be going down just below the Koness River. Using Wrights Air

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
    Hello

I am doing a Sheenjek trip this Sept floating in rafts and wanted to know if anyone can give me other options for drop off that are higher up river than the area they call last lake? I would like to get farther up river since we will be doing a 2 week trip and will only be going down just below the Koness River. Using Wrights Air

Thank you
    Talk to Wrights and see where they can drop you. Otherwise it's a moot point if you can't get there.

I believe that's as far up as Wright can go, I wouldn't worry about getting to the Koness to fast, the take out is several miles below and the Sheenjek is pretty slow. I was on it for 16 days last year and spent 7 full days rowing.

There are a couple more spots above last lake where you can land.

You can get a bit farther up river than last lake.

Call around to other air taxis that service the Southern Brooke's. The issue will be finding one that will take you in there further north independently and not on a guides dime.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

There are two more "strips" that I know of. One is on a slight uphill grade on a large alluvial fan just before the Sheenjek River turns west and is usually labeled as the Divide Mountain strip. This is a popular drop off point for floaters. The second is several miles further up stream at Joe Wants old strip. This is a gravel bar in the middle of the river. This strip is primarily for moose and sheep hunters. Wrights knows about both of the strips. I have been dropped off at both of the strips in the past by Wrights. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Cheaper to fly the schedule into Fort Yukon on Warbelows, then walk over to Kirk Sweetsir's place and fly out with him. He is a couple hundred feet away from where Warbelows drops you off on the Ramp in Fort Yukon. Much cheaper to fly the small plane out of the Fort...Kirk will drive over and pick your stuff up with his truck at the Fort. Same thing when you leave...

I have flown with Kirk for years. Used to fly with him when he worked for Bob at Wright's and after he took over Roger's flight service (Yukon Air) out of Ft. Yukon. Kirk is a top notch pilot, knows both of those strips and can take you in ... but this time of the year he is pretty busy with his own business and flying for John Peterson. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Default Plenty of river

Quote Originally Posted by actionshooter View Post
    I believe that's as far up as Wright can go, I wouldn't worry about getting to the Koness to fast, the take out is several miles below and the Sheenjek is pretty slow. I was on it for 16 days last year and spent 7 full days rowing.

I am pretty sure Wrights can take you further but it might not be what you want. We met two guys there last year that flew in with Wrights but they flew out after one week because they saw no caribou and no moose...only grizz and they couldnt shoot grizz as non-residents.

I too floated last year from Last Lake and we had plenty of river time and hunting country between there and the Koness take out. We actually started north of Last Lake, south of Double Mountain. The water starts getting pretty thin and braided up that far. Float DRAGGING becomes reality.
    Depending on what your goals for the trip are, you may not want more river to float. Plus, if Wrights knows they are dropping others in the further areas, hopefully they wont be putting you on top of each other and will start you at Last Lake to avoid overcrowding.