Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish Creek

Default Fish Creek

Opens 6am Friday morning! Go get 'em!

Oh, I am excited! This will be my first time dipping FC. Question for anyone in the know... does one have to make it all the way to the mouth to be successful, or can one fish some of the holes closer to the highway? Just trying to plan out my best way of getting fish.

Thanks!

Where is the Emergency Order posted that it is going to open this year?

Thank you for the link, no matter how I tried I still couldn't find it. I also just got off the phone with F&G and was told basically the same as the link. Hoping to make it this weekend or next week depending on how my back heals after throwing it out on Monday. At least I can get around without any aides today, of course the Mrs. is back at work so no one to tell me to stop but myself(and my back muscles)!

So, this means that all the VALLEY TRASH can stay home and catch their own fish!!

Think the Kenai gets crowded try to get a spot this Saturday on fish creek

BIGDIPPER, NO... Sunday we are coming back down to haunt the peninsula. Fish creek is just an appetizer!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    So, this means that all the VALLEY TRASH can stay home and catch their own fish!!
    Yeah, you don't sound 'trashy' at all ...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    I'm sure the Valley folks will be mingling with 'TRASH' from other areas as well...Stay home and catch their own fish? The fish are a resource available to all residents, regardless of where you reside.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I am "Valley Trash" and proud of it. I am also a Knik resident. You don't have to be from the valley to be trashy, unfortunately there are plenty of trashy folks everywhere, but we wear our title proudly, Thank you Ben Stevens. On the flip side, when I go to your backyard, regardless of where it may be, I am respectful and if I pack it in, I pack it out and invariably some of the trash others, whose parents didn't teach them better, left behind. Please respect our no trespassing, private property,no motorized vehicle, no dumping, signs and show our backyard the same respect you wish us to show yours.

Respectfully,
    The Valley Trash

Can we stop acting like little kids. And start talking fishing. Is anybody down there now? How's the fishing? Is it crowded? Anybody with anything to report?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, as it always is when it opens for dip netting, no place left to park & lots of mud...with the recent rain and high tide, it should be a quagmire by now. Keep in mind that Fish Creek is open for PU dip netting only, no sport fishing with rod & reel just yet.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Anybody have a link to the tide tables at fish creek? I'm having a hard time finding one.

I was down there this morning. It was really hot for about 10 minutes, then pretty slow. I think it was a combination of both the obvious fact that the fish always move around like crazy when all of a sudden hundreds of nets start bouncing them on the heads, but also the tide timing was unfortunate. If high tide had been an hour or two later, I'll bet the fishing would have been a little better and more consistent. Still, there were plenty of folks catching fish. Some spots were hot, others were dead. People were generally friendly and courteous. I'm not sure I encountered any of this Valley Trash I keep hearing about, but maybe that's 'cause I'm a little trashy myself, so I don't see it.

Tides - I'm not sure you'll find tide tables for Fish Cr. but I see that Anchorage tides listed HT as 6:42 this morning, but it seemed it kept coming in until about 7:30. So for quick reference, I would use Anchorage tables and factor in about a 45 minute lag, and you'll be close enough.

Troopers - have your licenses and permits with you, clip your fins immediately, and mark your permits BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE BANK. At least a handful of troopers there; saw two tickets written and heard of another from a guy who had his permit but just didn't mark it before heading up to the road. That's an unfortunate way to get a ticket, so cross your t's folks. They are checking.

Species - EO says you can keep all species except kings. Lots of folks on the bank will tell you that you cannot keep silvers, but this isn't true this year. If it's not a king, you can keep it. There's a decent number of pinks in there too. Most people were throwing them back, but I saw some pretty nice ones get kept, and I'm sure they'll eat just fine.

Enjoy folks...

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I have to wonder sometimes...what is so difficult about clipping fins & counting your fish on the permit card. It can't be that so many dip netters are just that forgetful...or maybe they are...uh, hmmm, did I already get a dip net limit or not
    "Grin and Bear It"

It's difficult because they want us to do a hash mark tally after each catch. Pretty unreasonable with slimy hands and limited space on the permit. And when the fish are running who has time for that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Well, the one guy who said he had just gotten a ticket said he left his permit in his truck. Sounded like an honest mistake, but it's kind of a dumb mistake, and you will receive no leniency from the troopers. I don't want to be the pot calling the kettle black: I have been guilty of forgetting a pen, but thankfully I've had folks around me loan me one. People are forgetful, which is why I'm mentioning it again. Don't forget to have your stuff on you while you're fishing, and don't forget to clip fins as you go and mark your permit before you start walking away from the bank. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Looks like plenty of space on the permit, there's usually water nearby for rinsing your slimy hands, and yeah, who has time to do that when the fish are running? Maybe after you're done dipping for the day, before you leave the area? Sounds so very unreasonable & difficult...rules & regs are always that way. Guess there's always time for a ticket?
    "Grin and Bear It"

My boy and I were down there at 5:30 and got our nets in the water at 6:01 am. By the time the fishing died at our hole at 6:50 we'd brought in 29 fish. Most of them were pinks, which is fine by me. They all eat the same. We were in the clear water and everyone around us were hauling in just as fast as their nets hit the water. Best net I saw was six on a pull. When it died it died almost instantly. We went from having the nets in the water for seconds before landing a fish to standing for 20 minutes with not so much as a bump. All in all a good experience. Didn't see any valley trash either. Everyone I saw was respectful, having fun, and working together. Good times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast