Thread: 20E Caribou

Default 20E Caribou

I intend to hunt the Fortymile herd in September. I keep flip flopping back and forth between going to Chicken and going up the Steese. I am coming from Fairbanks. I have a wheeler which I will be using for the hunt. I was hoping someone could tell me about the availability of gas in Chicken. I read elsewhere that there is a gas station, but does it ever run out of gas during Caribou season? I have to imagine it can be a problem with so many people coming into the area on opening day. My Polaris has a 4.75 gallon tank, and I have a 5 gallon gas can. I plan to show up two days before the season starts and do plenty of scouting. My concern is that I will burn through my gas and not be able to replenish it. My truck is a diesel so siphoning its tank is out.

I was also wondering how cold it usually gets at night in early September. I want to pack appropriate clothing/sleeping bag because I am going to camp out at least the night before the opener so I can be ready to hunt at first light.

Finally, while I have a couple of friends who are planning to go with me, if they end up being unable to go, I am determined to go alone. I was thinking that if I am alone, and my wheeler breaks down, I would bring along some cash to offer to one of the myriad of other hunters I'm sure I will encounter out there in exchange for a tow back to my truck.

Do my plans seem reasonable? Am I missing anything big here?

The only thing you're missing is that the season will likely be closed by September. It seems like that hunt doesn't last very long, perhaps especially so with the harvest from the early youth hunt added on from the get-go this season.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    The only thing you're missing is that the season will likely be closed by September. It seems like that hunt doesn't last very long, perhaps especially so with the harvest from the early youth hunt added on from the get-go this season.
    It opens Sept. 3 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabarbwire View Post
    It opens Sept. 3 this year.
    Yep. I plan to be out there September 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel7723 View Post
    I intend to hunt the Fortymile herd in September. I keep flip flopping back and forth between going to Chicken and going up the Steese. I am coming from Fairbanks. I have a wheeler which I will be using for the hunt. I was hoping someone could tell me about the availability of gas in Chicken. I read elsewhere that there is a gas station, but does it ever run out of gas during Caribou season? I have to imagine it can be a problem with so many people coming into the area on opening day. My Polaris has a 4.75 gallon tank, and I have a 5 gallon gas can. I plan to show up two days before the season starts and do plenty of scouting. My concern is that I will burn through my gas and not be able to replenish it. My truck is a diesel so siphoning its tank is out.

I was also wondering how cold it usually gets at night in early September. I want to pack appropriate clothing/sleeping bag because I am going to camp out at least the night before the opener so I can be ready to hunt at first light.

Finally, while I have a couple of friends who are planning to go with me, if they end up being unable to go, I am determined to go alone. I was thinking that if I am alone, and my wheeler breaks down, I would bring along some cash to offer to one of the myriad of other hunters I'm sure I will encounter out there in exchange for a tow back to my truck.

Do my plans seem reasonable? Am I missing anything big here?
    Your plan sounds alot like mine. I'm taking more gas in with me. I am also considering getting a "Delorme inreach" to check for EOs and for emergencies. As for weather in forty mile country, plan for 8 to 80.

Is there cell phone reception in Chicken?

tok is the last place I get a signal with GCI

I didn't get the impression that the Chicken store was open year around when I was there last, but I could be wrong?

Why don't you just ask them.

chickenrvpark@gmail.com

Bring two gas cans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do I need hip boots?

Isnt this hunt delayed until mid septemberish for the zone with chicken in it.....?

Quote Originally Posted by AKRecurveAssassin View Post
    Isnt this hunt delayed until mid septemberish for the zone with chicken in it.....?
    Delayed until September 3.

Your plan sounds fine. I usually take 10 gallons of fuel when I go. I have, in the past, sold fuel to some guys who didn't bring as much as they thought they would need and were 20 miles out the trail...I had already gotten my bou and was heading out so I didn't need the extra fuel I was hauling. When I was out there 2 years ago, the gas station was open. The only thing that I would suggest is bring in a large cooler of ice if the weather is supposed to be warm to help cool your caribou (just leave it in your truck). You won't find anyone selling ice near Chicken. Just be careful because others who hunt out there are not. I have had friends of mine shot over when they were stalking a bou on more than one occasion...not sure why someone would try and take a shot from 600 yards away, over someone else to try and get a caribou, even after being told that someone was already stalking that animal. Long story short, no one got that bou...have fun and be safe out there.

Temps right now are high 30' s to low 40's at night and hopefully it stays that way since we usually get our 40 mile bou mid August................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................