Thread: New Dipnetting Section- what would you like to see?

Default New Dipnetting Section- what would you like to see?

For the last three years, we have been gathering content for a new dip netting section on the site. I hoped we could launch it before dip netting season this year, but the site update took precedence and it's going to wait a bit. We have the basic structure of it ironed out, and most of the content gathered and in production. But I'd like to ask our dip netting community what they would like to see in there? Rather than me outlining what we have in mind, let's start with a clean slate.

How about it, folks? What would get your attention?

We will place it in our fishing pages <http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/activities/fishing>

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I think we need a virtual version of sumo suits for residents of Kenai/Soldotna/Stirling to get out their frustration on those from Anchorage and the Valley

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    For the last three years, we have been gathering content for a new dip netting section on the site. I hoped we could launch it before dip netting season this year, but the site update took precedence and it's going to wait a bit. We have the basic structure of it ironed out, and most of the content gathered and in production. But I'd like to ask our dip netting community what they would like to see in there? Rather than me outlining what we have in mind, let's start with a clean slate.

How about it, folks? What would get your attention?

We will place it in our fishing pages <http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/activities/fishing>

-Mike
    For Kenai, how about negotiating a webcam for the city launch and point it out towards the major part of the fleet, beach and launch?

A petition form to send to the state to shut down the circus on the Kenai.

How about seperate forums for Chitina and the Kenai?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    More info is always good.

Web links or updates of
    fish counts, kenai late run.
    Commercial opening EOs,
    test fishing info that F&G does somewhere near Anchor Point.
    Tide info at the river.

Catch rates by boat & shore dippers

Times & tide when fishing is good / slow

Palace to vent,
    holler, yell , scream but not hurt anyones feelings.
    Humans feel better after venting.

A thank you section for the city of Kenai folks that have to put up with 3 weeks of outsiders invading their city.

Beach and boat threads separate for each river's dipping. As a beach dipper, I'm just not interested in how many fish were caught and how many nets it took to catch them when fished from a boat. Besides, boats have access to the main channels, and I don't -- makes it apples and eggs different.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota98 View Post
    Beach and boat threads separate for each river's dipping. As a beach dipper, I'm just not interested in how many fish and how many nets fished from a boat. Besides, boats have access to the main channels, and I don't -- makes it apples and eggs different.
    Just to clarify, we are not talking about a new forum. We are talking about a new section on the website. For those who spend all their time in the forums, you may not be aware that there is a website attached to the forums! There is! We are not building a new forum, we are building an area where people can learn all they need to know about dip netting. So certainly salmon run charts, tides, gear, locations, photos and video, yes. All that and more. We are looking for ideas for the new dip netting section on the main site.

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    How about seperate forums for Chitina and the Kenai?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not a bad idea, actually.

Aren't there already separate threads for each river?

The stuff AOJ does updating people on EOs or predicting EOs is helpful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Just to clarify, we are not talking about a new forum. We are talking about a new section on the website. For those who spend all their time in the forums, you may not be aware that there is a website attached to the forums! There is! We are not building a new forum, we are building an area where people can learn all they need to know about dip netting. So certainly salmon run charts, tides, gear, locations, photos and video, yes. All that and more. We are looking for ideas for the new dip netting section on the main site.

Thanks!

-Mike
    Mike, there is a lot of misinformation out there about the various fisheries and how they interact and the programs used for management. I would suggest some well written sections explaining some of the common misconceptions, program plus and negatives like the OTF program, Didson sonar counts for both chinook and sockeye, complexity of UCI fishery management, what an escapement goal really is and what is means to not meet one, the BOF process and critical dates for submission of proposals, a list of advisory committees and their chair, links to resources locally like emergency medical clinics open 24 hours a day which are cheaper than a hospital visit, a blog for guest writers on current issues, and other activities one can do while dad, mom, or kids are dip netting - bird watching for the family - OK I am pushing that one but at the mouth of the Kenai this week was a rare Asian gull which some people might like to look for.

I just saw your thread and haven't had time to check out website, so maybe you have some of these ideas down already. Here's a few:
    gear and recommendations for gear, repair, vendors, and techniques - either articles about such and/or recommended links for same,
    cast-netting - I'm not sure if it really fits this forum, but it's one of the other legal gear types used in a least one other personal use fishery that also permits dipnets i.e. Sweetheart Creek sockeye fishery at Port Snettisham south of Juneau, and I've started or responded to threads on Sweetheart Creek on this forum. Same thing as above for recommendations. I use YouTube videos all the time to refresh my technique and/or learn about other styles of castnetting - must be at least a dozen or more judging from a short search on YT.
    Hope this helps. BTW add a link to the website address that you are specifically referring to. Thanks, Rich

Quote Originally Posted by akaquaman View Post
    I just saw your thread and haven't had time to check out website, so maybe you have some of these ideas down already. Here's a few:
    gear and recommendations for gear, repair, vendors, and techniques - either articles about such and/or recommended links for same,
    cast-netting - I'm not sure if it really fits this forum, but it's one of the other legal gear types used in a least one other personal use fishery that also permits dipnets i.e. Sweetheart Creek sockeye fishery at Port Snettisham south of Juneau, and I've started or responded to threads on Sweetheart Creek on this forum. Same thing as above for recommendations. I use YouTube videos all the time to refresh my technique and/or learn about other styles of castnetting - must be at least a dozen or more judging from a short search on YT.
    Hope this helps. BTW add a link to the website address that you are specifically referring to. Thanks, Rich
    Hi Rich,

I am talking about this website! The Alaska Outdoors Supersite, which contains these forums! This illustrates part of the problem we have here. We've developed tons of content and many of our forum readers are simply not seeing it.

Go to the top of this page you are on right now. See the banner at the top? See the links at the top of the banner:

Home | Places | Activities | Gear | Forums | Store | Directory

We also have a YouTube channel for this site, AKSupersite. And a Facebook Page.

These are some of the sections on this website that are outside the forums. If you go to any of them besides the forums, store or directory, you will see a huge menu on the left side of the page, which appears on all pages. These are the many pages of free content that are here for you, but not integrated with the forums. The forums are only part of the site! Check it out! What we're talking about is developing a section out there, as part of our fishing pages, that deals with dip netting.

If you are only experiencing the forums, you are missing tons of really good information that relates directly to Alaska hunting and fishing, plus descriptions of every area of the state, and the activities available in those areas.

Hopefully that makes sense?

-Mike

It's kinda funny, though not really surprising, that most of the forums visitors don't realize that this is just one section of a much bigger website. It's almost like the blinders that certain fishing groups have about their part in a much larger fishery.

And for Paul H.... us Central Kenai residents would love it if ya'll Valley folks could spell "Sterling" correctly.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    It's kinda funny, though not really surprising, that most of the forums visitors don't realize that this is just one section of a much bigger website. It's almost like the blinders that certain fishing groups have about their part in a much larger fishery.

And for Paul H.... us Central Kenai residents would love it if ya'll Valley folks could spell "Sterling" correctly.
    Well, I for one appreciate it when folks link out to pages on the site. Many of the common questions that come up here all the time are answered there, and it would save our members a lot of having to type the same thing over and over. Just post the link!

And yes, Stirling is in Scotland! Thanks for your patience!

-Mike