Thread: Federal premium discontinued accubonds...

Default Federal premium discontinued accubonds...

I couldn't find my go to cartridge in town while shelves are full. I wanted to check out and compare some ballistics and jumped on their site. No accubonds listed??? I emailed them and this was their response, "they've been discontinued".

Wow! Very informative!

I replied and asked how come? They're such a great round and seemingly very popular? Their reply? "Discontinuations are typically due to lack of sales"

Really??? Seems weird.

Others are loading the Accubond bullet. My totally un-educated wild'arse guess is that Federals decision is based on marketing the Federal Fusion line of cartridges.

I'd agree with you AGL4now. They quit carrying the Barnes TSX bullets as well in many calibers. It's gotta be about money...they're in business to make money, so if they can make more $ with their Fusion line, they'll do it.

Is this for your 7mm or ?

I don't have dies for the 7mm, but I'd be willing to get a set if you have brass and want to load. Assuming that we can find bullets in town.

300 win mag. I have done but wanted to do a bit more shooting before my hunt. Shot the other day and shot a 1 inch group at 200 yards. I liked the cartridge but anything different I'll have to adjust my scope for.

Roll your own, you'll get better ammo that way anyway. Maybe can get even better than 1 inch! My 300 WM really liked those federals tipped with the trophy bonded bear claws, but speer quit making them. I think they got replaced by the grand slam line. Might have been the deep curls too, I'm not sure which. I feel your pain though. It sucks when you find a load your rifle really likes and then they quit making it.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I shoot maybe a box or two a year. Just not cost effective to get into reloading for me. I've thought about it but just not worth it to me with how little I shoot. I don't know if I can do much better than 1 inch at 200 yards! Felt pretty happy with that!

I have .300 dies already. I don't know that I could match your point of impact but I do know that I can load them for about 25$ per box if you come over one night and help. Do you have brass? Best to use brass that you already shot - I have pre-fired brass if you don't and they will still work.

Pretty sure that I could find some accubonds in town in 30 cal. I might even had a hundred. I usually shoot hornady's out of my .300wm.

I can't say that I have ever shot a 1" group at 200 yards though......that is really good unless you have a custom rifle.

My son and I loaded 100 rounds of .270WSM on sunday in about 2 hours. I weigh each charge and don't get in much of a hurry - more a hobby than a production setup.

I am very sure that I have never shot a 1/2 MOA group at any range with .300 WM. However I am NOT in the least questioning that Mossyhorn did this, that is some awesome shooting by both Mossyhorn and his rifle. (I hope this post does not get misinterpreted).

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I can't say that I have ever shot a 1" group at 200 yards though......that is really good unless you have a custom rifle.

I'm not doubting Riley either. When I get to 3/4 minute with any of my off the shelf rifles I stop. On most of my rifles I am still looking.

The 270wsm best group I was able to conjur up was with some 30 year old nosler partitions that came in with a 4 shot group at .87" at 100yards. That was first fire factory brass. I don't have enough of the old noslers so I am taking TTSX with me that came in at 1.14" at 100 (3 shot group).

I don't claim to be able to match factory produced ammunition, but it has always been good enough for my shooting.

If you want to use Accubonds, then just buy loaded ammo from Nosler. It is about the same price as Federal.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Where can one find the accubonds from nosler in 300?
    I have seen other calibers but not 300 win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a feeling that this was maybe more luck than me? I mean I felt good about the shots, everything felt clean and consistent. I've never shot quite that good, maybe the stars aligned? I was shooting off the bench at Birchwood with nothing but a sandbag underneath the the front of my rifle stock, 3-9x zeiss conquest, tikka .300 WM with no modifications.

I want to say Federal is now owned or owns the same group that owns Barnes.

Now that Nosler is in the premium ammunition business it doesn't make sense to buy components from a major competitor.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I am very sure that I have never shot a 1/2 MOA group at any range with .300 WM. However I am NOT in the least questioning that Mossyhorn did this, that is some awesome shooting by both Mossyhorn and his rifle. (I hope this post does not get misinterpreted).
    Sadly, my 73-yr-old dad shoot better groups out of my 1987 Remington BDL .300 win Mag than I do. He regularly puts the 180gr TSX loads in holes that are touching at 100 yards. Anything less is not that rifle's fault.

Riley,

Bring your once fired cases, and see if you can find the bullets you want to shoot, If not... I have 180 accubonds I can spare, I also have all the primers and powders, therefore you can shoot @ 300 yards before you leave.