Thread: Apples or pears?

Default Apples or pears?

Is it possible to grow apples or pears (mini dwarf tree versions) in a greenhouse in any part of Alaska?
    A local orchard has started to grow trees inside a greenhouse here. Just made me wonder if it's possible to
    do it in AK. The trees are pretty small so they would fit.

You can grow apples outside. There are many producers in AK growing all sorts of fruit in greenhouses and high tunnels. I've seen everything from grapes to peaches in all sorts of controlled environments up here.

I know a gal with some awesome cherry trees in her greenhouse.
    I also know of people with apple trees growing outside in their yards.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

That's great. I can't imagine a yard without some kind of fruit growing in it.

I threw together a pvc tunnel over part of my current garden. Now I am already thinking about making it bigger and enclosing it.
    The nice thing about it is that it would be so light and easy to move with us.

you can use rolled conduit (black stuff) for clips on your hoops...I don't I cant walk in mine

Buddys apples flower but don't produce. We don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    you can use rolled conduit (black stuff) for clips on your hoops...I don't I cant walk in mine

How many apple trees do you have and how old are they?

I planted several small apple trees about 8 years ago. They all died in the first year. I bought another apple tree the following year and it would flower but never produce. I was hoping that it would cross pollinate with some crab apple trees. I bought another small apple tree last year and this year my original apple tree has 3 apples on it. So I guess it needed another apple tree besides the crab apple trees and it also needed to mature some.

Eight years ago, I also bought one Asian pear tree with all the apple trees that died. The pear tree has done super. It produces every year. So I think we have better luck with pear trees.

I also planted a peach tree years ago. At the time, I couldn't remember if it was a peach or plum. The tree would flower all the time but not produce. Two years ago, I bought two more peach trees. All three peach trees produced peaches the first year I planted the second two peach trees. Even though they were not very old. This year, no peaches.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. I picked up some conduit today and it looks like I got the right size. Seems to fit nice.