Thread: silver season

Talking silver season

My father is up from Texas visiting for Moose season and I would like to take him silver fishing. I just need some help on when the runs are and maybe some pointing in the right directions. I have a boat and have run the deshka area a bit in it. By no means am I familiar with the river and all the tributaries that merge together around there. I just haven't figured out where are some good places to try and catch some fish. I know he wont care if he does catch anything and would enjoy the time on the boat and with his grand kids but would like to try and put him in the right spot or close to it. Not looking for your favorite fish hole or anything like that just some directions would be great.

any help would be much appreciated.
    21' Thunder Jet Alexis

Thumbs up Little Su Public Boat launch

Quote Originally Posted by taylorpolaris View Post
    My father is up from Texas visiting for Moose season and I would like to take him silver fishing. I just need some help on when the runs are and maybe some pointing in the right directions. I have a boat and have run the deshka area a bit in it. By no means am I familiar with the river and all the tributaries that merge together around there. I just haven't figured out where are some good places to try and catch some fish. I know he wont care if he does catch anything and would enjoy the time on the boat and with his grand kids but would like to try and put him in the right spot or close to it. Not looking for your favorite fish hole or anything like that just some directions would be great.

any help would be much appreciated.
    I went out to the Little Su boat lunch (Knik) last night to try and hook into an early silver and was not disappointed! Four casts later I tied into the biggest silver I have ever caught (over 15 lbs). I proceeded to hook and loose another within another 20 minutes, followed it up with a big bright chum, and then wrapped it all up with another HOG! Pink body/silver bladed #4 Vibrax all night! Limited out in less than two hours and am looking forward to a good dinner! I would hit up the Little Su for sure as they are in! Just take Knik Rd out to Point Mackenzie Rd. Stay on that road until it T's and hang a right and then follow signs down to the boat launch ($5 daily parking fee). Tight Lines!!!

Deshka should be "prime time" just about "now" for 2 weeks.
    Close to the bank above the mix zone.

Like said
    # 4 vibrax or I like flo-orange & red blade #4 mepps too.

Little Su, but experience needed to run a boat.

Really appreciate the info and the help on this. Thank you very much. I have never ran the little sue but would like to learn more rivers than just around the deshka. I do know the deshka is a pretty easy learning curve on it. Maybe I will start branching out on more rivers next year. Really appreciate the info Jester and Mudbuddy
    21' Thunder Jet Alexis

If you are running a 21 foot thunder jet the little su might not be the place for you once the water comes down. Hire a guide on the little su, 6 hours of throwing spinners and you will have the little su figured out.

Helped two older gentlemen off of a 6' bank and out of the trees on the Little Su after an inexperienced "jet" drive pilot ran them off the river!! Fortunately, the trees launched them onto the bank and no one was injured and the boat was intact.. 3 hours to get the boat free.. A come a-long does wonders! I do not own the boat nor come a-long, a well prepared friend does..

Thanks for the fishing report!!

I am heading back out tonight with an inexperienced friend and will report again tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by dgrant09 View Post
    Helped two older gentlemen off of a 6' bank and out of the trees on the Little Su after an inexperienced "jet" drive pilot ran them off the river!! Fortunately, the trees launched them onto the bank and no one was injured and the boat was intact.. 3 hours to get the boat free.. A come a-long does wonders! I do not own the boat nor come a-long, a well prepared friend does..

Thanks for the fishing report!!
    Jester let me know how it goes. I always here negative comments on "jet" drivers. I know their are some out there. it just seems like they always make it on the negative side of someone's post. Grant you are a good outdoorsman to stop and help someone in trouble. I do carry a come-a-long on my boat and a lot of rope and braided cable to use for my self to get unstuck or to help anyone else. thanks again for the info.
    21' Thunder Jet Alexis

Update! Went back out to my favorite spot on the Little Su from about 7:30 - 11:30 and came back home with another set of fat silvers and a nice chrome chum for the smoker. Overall, I watched a hundred fish jump, landed a few chums, snagged a humpy, lost several hook ups, and had a blast. The 3 others that were with me brought in 4 or 5 chums and a pink but couldn't whisper to the silvers like me

Also, do not forget that all important bug dope as those skeeters are like the AK Killer bees out there...BRUTAL!

Tight Lines All!

silvers have slowed...alot of boats...alot of bugs...far drive...parking fees...hmmm, maybe I just got lucky