Thread: Line color

Default Line color

Do you think that line color plays any part in your success? The areas I fish are not bad silted for the most part. Some are pretty clear. In the past I have used 20# green Trilene Big Game and am wondering if I might be better off with the same line in clear color.

What do you think?

Default Depends

It has been my experience that line color doesn't really matter. It seems the fish in Alaska could care less about the line. This is very evident in fly fishing.

The leader on the other hand could make a difference, particularly in very clear water.

Fishing the Kenai, I have seen every color imaginable, yellow, red, blue, bright green, olive green and so on... none seem to be any less effective.

I recommend that you pick a line that you can see, particularly if you are trolling, and that in a river... if you can see the line, you can tell how the plugs are running, you can see if a fish has your bait and is moving up stream (silvers are notorious for this) and so on.

Personally, I use the Berkley Big Game, bright green...

So my question is do you use that bright green line for your leaders?

Default Leader color

No Way!!!

Clear mono in the average river setting... Flourocarbon in very clear water and salt.

I fish primarily in coffee colored streams. I've always preferred Maxima chameleon for the strength and was pleased that the line "disappeared" in the water. As my daughter grew she always insisted on fishing with hot pink Maxima and pink lures. That little girl catches more fish than I do. Still does. No kidding, hot pink. So much for stealth.

I didn't suspect that you did but typically when someone asks about color of line they tend to use that same line while casting spoons, plugs, on a leader, etc. My experience with the bright green line is, if you want to catch a fish don't connect your lure or bait to it, use a leader of another color as you clarified. I have never had any problem using the Trilene Big Game in regular green for leader material. I do however agree that using the bright green sure is nice in low light hours or while combat fishing. If you can see your line well, so can the guy next to you.

In 1989 or 1990 I was in a work sponsored salmon derby. On another employees boat, I brought my hardware....which included lime green line.

The two other guys on the boat kept telling me I was going to "scare the fish away," but I was hooking up when they weren't. I didn't win that derby, but I caught the most fish on the boat, and, probably had the derby winner on my line before it tossed the hook in a mad dash toward us that I couldn't keep up with.

I don't think it matters...Still, I don't buy flamboyant lines anymore. I don't like the mockery.

I have used all he different lines out there. When fishing for Salmon all species i never noticed any difference from clear to color.

Now when im on a clear water stream or the Kenai for trout I have found in my case that clear leader works the best. I think it just has a more natural drift with the clear line not being seen. On bright days i think you might get a reflection off the colored lines. I have noticed better catches on clear leader for trout but salmon no difference

When I'm running 6 lines in the SE Salt, I can't see that green Trilene against the hemlock background, so I've switched to the brightest glow green/yellow I can find. It all still all but disappears in the water, and I can see it to grab when I'm running so many lines at once. Also makes un-doing the tangles much easier when you can see the line well.

As for the part about hooking a lure directly to the green stuff, the May Kings in Juneau went bezerk for a #5 Vibrax spinner attached directly to my mainline, and then trolled between 15' and 40' on the downriggers.... Most of the violent strikes were on the shallow sets in 15' of water... no leader, just 25# optic yellow line and a matte black snap swivel.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And who remembers the multi-colored lines in the 70s? I do! I remember fishing with line that changed color every ten feet. This way we knew how much we had let out aside from downriggers and pulls, this worked well. What happened to that great product?