Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what is the best backpack frame with bags?

Default what is the best backpack frame with bags?

Iím looking to buy a new pack frame with remove bags for Backcountry hunting
    3700 to 5000 in size any ideas ( best bag for your buck)

Everybody's "buck" is gonna be different. You really should state how much you wanna spend....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

$200 to $300

I'd save up a little bit more and get yourself a Barney's.

So far I am really loving My Kifaru Highcamp 7200 & would recommend the smaller 4800, but it's 2 or 3x your price range. For what you want to spend Cabela's is probably the best place to start.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I'd say as far as versatility goes, the Barney's Freighter Frame and the Hunter or Pinnacle bag would be the way to go. Solid platform that will haul more than you are able, and easily converts from just a pack frame for hauling quarters or odd packages, to a versatile bag that you can fit a ton of gear in. I have only used mine very little, but I guarantee that you won't find many negative comments on them. Still outside of your price range, but I'd suggest saving a bit and buying once, than twice when you need to replace a lesser model regardless of external or internal design. Kifaru are no slouch as far as packs go either.

AZinAK

For the stated money, look into a Kelty Cache Hauler, or a Cabela's Alaskan Guide. If you care for them properly they will do what you want, including the budget part. You might give up a bit of comfort or build-quality, but these will work.

"If you wanna play, you gotta pay" I would recommend one of the packs from Barney's Sports Chalet. I have used one or the other iteration of these packs since the mid 80's. When my sons started hunting I purchased the same for them - couldn't see why the sons shouldn't have just as good equipment (or better) than Dad. At least that's my rational. Some of the highest quality time I have spent with my sons has been time shared in the field. Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

not gonna say its the best but I have used my camp trails moose pack on five hunts in ak. certainly within budget

Look at Bull Pacs, https://www.bullpacs.com/ . I'm thinking of one. You can then put whatever kind of bag you want on it.

Another vote for saving up a bit more money and going with the Barney's bag. I've been using mine for about 10 years and it's still going strong.

Barneys = Long term investment Worth every penny.

For that kind of cash you can get a decent bag. Kelty Cache Hauler and a few others.

You won't get top of the line, but you can get serviceable for sure.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

barneys the only way to go

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    barneys the only way to go
    The ONLY way to go........what a joke.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I recommend the Kuiu line, they have a new one out. The Icon 7200. These packs are super strong, light weight and made to last.

I have a cabelas guide frame pack and bag. I don't use the bag much any more, but I still use the frame to haul meat and sometimes firewood. It has seen quite a bit of heavy loads and still works fine. For the price range that you are looking at it will serve you great for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    Look at Bull Pacs, https://www.bullpacs.com/ . I'm thinking of one. You can then put whatever kind of bag you want on it.
    I have used 2 of their packs for years with no complaints....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Packs come in all shapes and sizes. My suggestion is to borrow a couple different ones if you can. Try out different makes and models--then buy the one you like the best.

This will be the 9th year I have used my Cabela's guide model pack and frame. 4 years of personal hunting and five years of guiding and personal hunting (average of 100 plus days of use per year).

I bought a Barney's pack a couple years ago. I wore it once-- the Barney's pack is now collecting dust in my attic. Any Barney's lovers want to buy it?

I love the Cabela's pack and frame and if it ever wears out--I will buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    The ONLY way to go........what a joke.......
    Lol, Sometimes you just have to make do with what ya have (until you can save up and get what you want). Im pretty sure people were still killing and dragging back meat to camp lonnngggg before these 1/2 a grand bags were around.

If I only had the funds for either a fly-in hunt or 600 dollar pack, it would be a no-brainer..

Whatever you choose, getting a feel for your gear on even average hikes (dry runs) can make a huge difference when it comes down to the long-haul.

Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast