Thread: Kicker Question for 2175 Jetcraft XS

Default Kicker Question for 2175 Jetcraft XS

Hi-

I want to purchase a small outboard (Honda 2.3) for my 2010 Jetcraft that has the factory installed kicker bracket located above the swim deck on the port side.

Does anyone know if this should be a short shaft or long shaft? Im really hoping a short shaft will work since I want to use the motor on our jon boat as well.

Thanks,

M.

I don't know if a motor that small will help. For shaft length, the water intakes just need to be under. Can you borrow one to try?

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    I don't know if a motor that small will help. For shaft length, the water intakes just need to be under. Can you borrow one to try?
    Hi Homer-

I have a transom mount trolling motor on the kicker bracket now and it scoots us across the river pretty good. I figure that troller is about 1 hp. Im going to measure this weekend but Im thinking I will need the 20" shaft on the Honda and get a jack plate for the jon boat to lift it up 4 to 5 inches. I think that little honda is air cooled and not water cooled so I think I just need to get the prop in the water.

M.

Hey palasz, I have a Phantom SportJon 60/40 that is just under 24 foot with the swimstep and I use a 5 horse Mercury kicker on the back. Just checked and it is a long shaft. As mentioned before on this thread, you mite want something a little bigger but definitely a long shaft is needed. I have a buddy with the same boat as you so I know what your looks like and a short shaft wont work...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Hey palasz, I have a Phantom SportJon 60/40 that is just under 24 foot with the swimstep and I use a 5 horse Mercury kicker on the back. Just checked and it is a long shaft. As mentioned before on this thread, you mite want something a little bigger but definitely a long shaft is needed. I have a buddy with the same boat as you so I know what your looks like and a short shaft wont work...

ok. thanks Bob. I'll look into the next size Honda as well. Trying to keep it very light and portable. The smallest and lightest kicker for the HP seems to be Honda...unless Im missing some other manufactures....Mercury, Honda, Yamaha, Tohatsu (which is Merc I think) ?

Anybody using any of the propane powered motors?

M.

Hi Everyone-

I went with a 5HP short shaft kicker on a custom bracket. The 5hp works pretty good (could be better if high thrust) and also works on my canoe and I can carry it.

Does anyone know how to connect this to existing steering? I have seen mechanical linkage between two outboards but not an inboard and outboard.

Thanks!

MIke

IMG_0194.jpg