Thread: Light switches

Default Light switches

This is mainly for the Polaris folks since I have a Big Boss 6x6 that has a tiny instrument pod. What kind of switches are those of you that have installed LED flood/spot lights using? Everything I seem to find is huge and I can't figure out how to make it work without hacking a huge hole somewhere. Also, where are you mounting the switch and what are you using to make a clean cut out for the switch?

Otto makes some sweet rocker switches and the pod has cutouts on the back the right size. Look at the polaris heated grip switches.

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    Otto makes some sweet rocker switches and the pod has cutouts on the back the right size. Look at the polaris heated grip switches.
    Thanks! I had no idea there were cutouts on the back.

I popped off the pod and sure enough it is lightly etched where the cutouts go. I guess my question now is what are you using to cut them out and get a clean edge? I'm used to electrical knockouts that you just tap lightly to break loose. Those weren't knockouts that I could tell as I put quite a bit of pressure on one and it didn't even budge.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    I popped off the pod and sure enough it is lightly etched where the cutouts go. I guess my question now is what are you using to cut them out and get a clean edge? I'm used to electrical knockouts that you just tap lightly to break loose. Those weren't knockouts that I could tell as I put quite a bit of pressure on one and it didn't even budge.
    I melted my hole through with a piece of copper pipe I heated with a torch. Put the pipe in a pair of vise grips heat with torch and it melted through like butter. Cleaned the edges with a sharp razor blade and they were super clean

The switches I used were from OTTRAW, the lighted rocker on the left is my rear winch and the lighted rocker on the right is my hand warmer as well as the toggle and idiot light for my rear led light bar. I wanted an on light for my led because its wired hot without a keyed source to my auxiliary battery so I can turn it on to set up camp or field dress an animal with out the key on (ah-hemmm...and no it won't drain my starting battery through my isolator....sheesh) but I didn't want to be able to accidentally flip it on and not know it hence the light above the toggle.
    On to cutting the holes in the pod I used an exacto knife with a fresh blade and traced out the opening with it and just went a little deeper each time for a clean cut...piece of cake really. Even though I like the rockers I have I like the ones mentioned above for space saving as they are smaller and you can see how fast the pod space gets used up. I actually had one more rocker for my thumb warmer but had to go without after running low on space so now my thumb warmer just works in conjunction with the trip warmers,oh well.

Definitely Otto