Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Ruger Old Army shooters here?

Default Any Ruger Old Army shooters here?

Let's hear your experiences, please?
    Steve

I've had a couple but as soon as you put a 45colt cylinder in them folks offer crazy money you can't turn down. I would like one again to just shoot pb but none of those type supplies here ever.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Amigo, think I just bought one? Keep you posted.
    Steve

Don't own one, but they develop very good snort when loaded with conicals. Enough so I keep thinking it would make a good backup for a muzzleloader hunter. Keep us posted on your experiences.

I've had one for many years. Stainless. Paid 180.00 for it "back in the day." Mid 1980's I think. It is by far the most robust and durable black powder revolver ever made. .457 round ball over a chamber full of 3F. It's a hoot to shoot. The only BP firearm I've ever owned. Very high quality compared to the various replicas.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I don't have room for a C&B revolver in my safe right now...but someday. The ROA is the one of you want a shooter, at least what I have read.

Room in the safe, what's that??? Find a sock drawer.
    Steve

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Why the ROA?

I'd druther have a Replica. I sold my Colt, that shot fine with rb and BP, mainly cuz the caps wouldn't stay put, and jammed the cylinder. It shot the sights, which was only a notch in the hammer when it was cocked. Kind of amazing.

I told myself I'd replace it with a Remington replica that had adjustable sights, but I didn't. I wouldn't keep an Cap n Ball if it wasn't reliable.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Why the ROA?

I'd druther have a Replica. I sold my Colt, that shot fine with rb and BP, mainly cuz the caps wouldn't stay put, and jammed the cylinder. It shot the sights, which was only a notch in the hammer when it was cocked. Kind of amazing.

I told myself I'd replace it with a Remington replica that had adjustable sights, but I didn't. I wouldn't keep an Cap n Ball if it wasn't reliable.

Smitty of the North
    Smitty, sounds like a nipple size problem? Were you using no. 11 caps on nipples designed for no. 10?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Smitty, sounds like a nipple size problem? Were you using no. 11 caps on nipples designed for no. 10?
    Steve
    Wal, I war using #11 caps, same as for my Muzzle Loader. The revolver nipples could have been for #10s.

I tried bending the caps, as recommended, so's they would stay on, but it didn't seem to help. If I ever get a nother C&B, I'll try to find some #10s for sure.

Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty, try this thread over at Cast Boolits forum
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Ruger-Old-Army
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Smitty, try this thread over at Cast Boolits forum
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Ruger-Old-Army
    Steve
    I read it.
    Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I've had a blue steel Old Army for 25 years. It's hell for stout, built like a Blackhawk and vastly superior to any cap and ball gun ever made. I don't know if you're after fun or serious business or both. The gun is very accurate and also powerful. Take 25 grains by volume of FFFG black powder ("Holy Black"), Pyrodex P, or one of the other substitutes like Alliant Black MZ or Hodgdon Triple-7, pour it in the chambers and top it off with corn meal, cream of wheat, or grits (probably not available in Alaska). I like to put an Ox Yoke lubricated felt wad between the powder and the meal. Then put a .457 round ball (.454 in a pinch) on top and ram it down hard and smear some Thompson Center Natural Lube 1000 bore butter over the ball. Any bullet lubricant (like SPG or formulas using beeswax) will substitute and in the past Crisco was popular. This load will print into 1.5 inches or less at 25 yards all day if you swab the bore every 6 shots. It's an excellent squirrel, rabbit, groundhog, and grouse load. The other end of the power spectrum will get you to the vicinity of the heavier loadings for the .45 Colt, suitable only for Rugers and Casulls, etc. My recommendations are 30-33 grains Pyrodex P with a styrofoam "cookie" on top of the powder. I cut these out of the typical styrofoam take-home tray using a cut down 30-30 to 30-06 shell case as a punch. After cutting, sharpen the inside edge of the case with a round file. Top this charge with a 200-225 gr. .452 cast or swaged semi-wadcutter. The .454 diameter is better if you can get it and beveled base is preferred. Lightly lubricate the bullet with SPG or Bore Butter and smear a dab over the seated bullet. This load will get you about 1050 fps/520 fpe and is very accurate. I've gotten better velocity with the 200 gr SWC by putting 2.5 gr FFF black powder under the Pyrodex P for 1110 fps but it barely fits the chamber. I've read that Triple 7 will get better velocity because somehow they fit 40 grains under a 220 gr bullet and get close to 1200fps. Never tried it but it may be the berries for a power load. You can weatherproof the caps/nipples by using RMC/Ox Yoke's Cap Guards over the caps and then drip candle wax onto the nipples until they're covered. The wax alone will also work just fine with pinched #11 caps. Make sure no wax has built up where it shouldn't, especially the business end of the cap. Top off your chambers with more candle wax (it helps to slightly warm the cylinder first) and you can carry your revolver in a downpour with confidence. The ROA is adaptable for a survival situation. For instance, it would be very easy to load it with birdshot topped with card stock. BTW, Weaver makes a no-drill scope mount for the Blackhawk that will fit the ROA; check it out at Midway.

I'm still working the learning curve so, I haven't shot this yet but, learning fast. It arrived yesterdays post.

Steve

Fine looking SS pistol. Wish I had one!

Nothing to base it on but idle speculation, but I've always wondered about one of these for bear backup when I'm hunting with a muzzleloading rifle. Ballistics with the conicals are respectable, but then there's all that smoke. At "bear" ranges I keep wondering if there would be any "smoke screen" effect and value to it in confusing the bear. Of course, it's hard to take followup shots if you can't see the bear, but he's going to have a hard time seeing you, too.

Like I said, idle wondering and not something I plan to test!

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've been trying in ernest to find a nipple wrench for this pistol anybody here know where to find one of these? Even tried Tracks of the Wolf.

Steve

I have a new spare. Give me a call at 907-687 eight five 00.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

gunbugs, since you didn't list a price I assume your asking more than ususal? Is your original or replacement?
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast