Thread: battery issue

Default battery issue

Two house batteries, and one each for starting. Having an issue with the house batteries. When turned off, they occasionally keep a charge and will turn on my bilge pump. It runs and won't turn off unless I cycle the battery switch a few times. Thoughts?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Your bilge pump is wire before the battery switch. That why it appear there is a charge left when you turn off the battery switch. Which by the way is not possible.

Trace out the wires and you will find out which battery is going to the bilge pumps. This is something all boaters need to know in case they have a problems. IMO

Seems strange. I use one of these breaker switches between the battery and bilge pump. http://www.iboats.com/Seasense-3-Way...view_id.237292 Don't know if that would help your issue but it allows me to isolate the pump(s) from the battery by putting it on manual or I can switch it to auto in case I spring a leak while sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Your bilge pump is wire before the battery switch. That why it appear there is a charge left when you turn off the battery switch. Which by the way is not possible.

Trace out the wires and you will find out which battery is going to the bilge pumps. This is something all boaters need to know in case they have a problems. IMO
    You can't turn on the bilge unless the house battery switch is on. On occasion, I have to turn something on, like the kicker lift system to completely discharge the battery when switch is turned off. It just takes a second or two and the system is completely shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Seems strange. I use one of these breaker switches between the battery and bilge pump. http://www.iboats.com/Seasense-3-Way...view_id.237292 Don't know if that would help your issue but it allows me to isolate the pump(s) from the battery by putting it on manual or I can switch it to auto in case I spring a leak while sleeping.
    I do have one of those, it is set to auto, but can also be set to manual.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    You can't turn on the bilge unless the house battery switch is on. On occasion, I have to turn something on, like the kicker lift system to completely discharge the battery when switch is turned off. It just takes a second or two and the system is completely shut off.
    I don't know what to say, when a battery switch is OFF there should be no voltage on the equipment side of the switch (no exception). Unless there is voltage leaking across the switch or the boat is miss wired.

It almost sounds like you have some kind of capacitor in the circuit - don't know why you would though??

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    It almost sounds like you have some kind of capacitor in the circuit - don't know why you would though??
    Exactly!!!
    Do you have a 12-110 volt inverter?
    That is one thing that will have large capacitors which will hold a charge and can feed back to keep stuff on.

It's been over a week with no up date, did you find your problem?

Maybe a sticking float switch. Something worth checking to rule out since some bilge pumps are wired direct.

Have yet to figure out but no recent issues last two weekends. Going to try and trace back through this week.