Thread: Garmin map loading

Default Garmin map loading

I'm having issues loading maps to my Garmin 550T. I bought a 32GB microSD card and have put that into the GPS. I want to put AK hunt maps and the Dalton highway cooridor 5 mile track onto the GPS and still use it for taking picture.

I want to use the 32GB card so that I can take and store pictures on an upcoming Hunt. I specifically bought the AK hunt map software for the added detail. The internal storage of the 550T is not large enough to take the AK hunt img file. The micro SD card that the AK hunt map came on only has approx. 300mb of room left for picture taking.

What do I need to do in order to load the AK hunt files onto the 32GB microSD card in my 550T?

I have tried to get it to load with Basecamp and also I copied the files onto the 32GB SD card via MS Explorer. When I turn on the GPS with it loaded on the 32GB SD card it starts up with an error that it cannot unlock maps.

I called customer support this morning at onXmaps.

You cannot copy a card to another card. You have to use the downloadable version.

Don't trust AK Hunt maps...if we're talking about the same thing! HuntAK's (PLAT maps for GPS) land status....especially in the copper river basin is very outdated!
    But all conservation of wildness is self-defeating, for to cherish we must see and touch, and when enough have seen and touched, there is no wilderness left to cherish.
    -- Aldo Leopold

Good to know. For this trip I am just heading to the Brooks and wanted to have the added detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Good to know. For this trip I am just heading to the Brooks and wanted to have the added detail.
    I have both the PLAT map and the Nat Geo Topo,, The Nat Geo Topo has WAY more topo detail, I run both oon my chip and switch back and forth.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Great - break out another hunnerd...........

Is there a particular one that I should look into?

Is there a particular one that I should look into?
    I use the National Geographic TOPO maps for Alaska.
    Founding Member

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/n...s/topo--alaska

That one? Does it save in GPX file format that you can just cut/paste into the GPS from windows explorer?

Reason I ask is because of this statement:

Supported GPS Receivers:
    Works with most popular handheld receivers from Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance and Eagle. Enables import and export of routes, waypoints and track information. DOES NOT support direct map transfer to any GPS except select Magellan GPS units. Visit www.natgeomaps.com/gps for a complete list of compatible GPS receivers.

Reason I ask is because of this statement:

Supported GPS Receivers:
    Works with most popular handheld receivers from Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance and Eagle. Enables import and export of routes, waypoints and track information. DOES NOT support direct map transfer to any GPS except select Magellan GPS units. Visit www.natgeomaps.com/gps for a complete list of compatible GPS receivers.
    The copy I have is pretty old bought it 8 years ago or more, so things may have changed.
    Founding Member

I read on their site that they are no longer making or supporting the software. What I have will work once I get the akHuntmap in the downloadable version. I still have to figure out how to print a map. I am going to try to use google earth and make a pdf that I can get printed big - I have some access to plotters so should be able to do that. I need to have paper with me........

If you look online there is a way to unlock your maps.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I already sent the microSD card back to them. They should have it today. I'll pay the shipping and extra 10$ -

is this what you are talking about? http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/tutori...aps-on-2nd-gps

I called them and they told me I need the downloadable version. I tried to get the above instructions to work - and it won't let you do it. Makes sense - I could go into business copying and selling their work. I pay for my Autocadd business licensing - I'll pay for using maps for my hunting too.

All the Garmin maps are free to download on torrent already for anyone who wants them. The unlocker just allows you to unlock the maps that you already paid for.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    All the Garmin maps are free to download on torrent already for anyone who wants them. The unlocker just allows you to unlock the maps that you already paid for.
    That is what I had to do once I moved the data over to a lager chip, copying the files locks them and even though I paid for the file I had to use the unlocker to use it on the larger chip.
    Founding Member

onXmaps just called and they got my chip. They emailed me the notice that my download is ready. I just now login and provide my gps unit number and their program will give me an unlock code to use in my gps. I will put the download into Basecamp and then I will be able to view it at home and on my 32GB microSD card. I'll overlay the haul road cooridor tracks that I purchased online and I will also overlay my intended track in - just to see how close I am in google earth compared to real earth!

now - to get that back pack weight down. I did order a Mountain Hardware kelvinator jacket 119$ http://www.6pm.com/mountain-hardwear...acket-sherwood

Then I see that it is snowing in the Brooks so the puffy will most likely just be EXTRA weight as I will keep my rivers west with me maybe.....